“Save yourself and pay extra!”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #106 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Well where to start... After cancelling our room here due to the reviews we were told they will still charge us so I went there in person a day before to discuss this matter face to face.
I got told "to go .... yourself" by Muhammad who at first refused to give me his name. I even asked to see my potential room in case it was ok. I got refused. Muhammad also claimed to be a multi millionaire and was just so rude! It was unbelievable!

As I stood in front of him saying that he'll only charge me on the actual date he charged my account DOUBLE!! (I found out thanks for booking.com letting me know within the hour ).

There were drug dealers on the door stop which is by the way down a dark alley.

Do not stay here!

I will be going to the trading standards agency with this and this hotel needs to be shut down!

This is my first review as I feel that everyone needs to know just how bad this "hotel" is!!

Save yourself and spend an extra tenner somewhere else!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Aehrees

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Excellent location - Back Piccadilly, off Oldham Street, Piccadilly Gardens, behind Nobles Arcade, Manchester City Centre. Very friendly and helpful staff, clean room & bathroom (shared bathroom !), nice continental breakfast, internet facility, good price. I definitely recommend this hotel !

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 March 2014

After only paying £50 for our room we were not expecting much however we did expect clean. Don't really know where to start with this repulsive hotel. Firstly the shower was thick with mould, the water trickled out and was freezing cold. The toilet was again very dirty as was the sink and don't even get me going on the clogged up toilet brush! Our room had rubbish under the bed, black hairs in the bed, a rotting window which was shaking as it was windy, holes in the wall, a broken chair, a dirty sink and worst of all there was faeces smeared over the wall. The hotel shown on the website is very misleading as we never saw any part of the nice hotel they advertise. Instead this hotel is down a back alley behind a morrisons local! Needless to say after a sleepless night we got up at 6am and travelled 5hrs home (we didn't dare go near breakfast!). When we returned home we emailed a complaint as during our stay we only ever saw 1 member of staff the whole time and that was when we checked in. Our reply from the hotel has threatened legal action and imprisonment! All because we told them we wanted our money back and told them the many many faults with their hotel!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate C
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The previous bad reviews are correct.
I had to tick one star but would have preferred 0.
Do not stay here unless you have no money and are desperate for a room ! It is a hostel, filthy! Yes, it should be shut down. I felt dirty just being in there, I didn't stay the booked night as checked it once there.

Customer service is appalling. I spoke to the 'manager' on the desk to complain re a refund, he said that was how it is, no refund, policy, don't call again, hung upon me! Then again! Appalled! Never known a manager like this.
I've travelled a lot with my job, maybe I am spoilt? Not, don't think so. Just want a decent clean place to sleep.

I cannot believe Booking.com are still listing this hotel
Should have read the awful reviews.
BTW if the owner reads this you should sack or re-train your 'manager' !!

Stay here at your peril.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ang00
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The room I was given was not bad(№17) May be because I'm a woman, and ordered 5 nights in this Guest house(not the hotel!). Yes, very simple furnishings, but no odors, or the dirty stains on the walls were not. It is true that towel issued once upon check in. No towel , no bed linen were changed. Cleaning for all time no one did, but the room was not dirty. I was glad that no one entered the room and touched my personal things that inevitably while cleaning. The toilet was in the hallway on the floor and shower in the room as I booked in advance. Staff friendly and willing to answer all questions and solve problems. Breakfast was the usual continental - coffee, juice, toast, even fruits. I liked that the door to the Guest house is closed around the clock, guests are provided with electronic keys. It gives a sense of security in the city centre. The location of the hotel completely gorgeous - 24-hour bus station, tram, all sights, the largest shopping centre, pubs and restaurants are in walking distance.

Room Tip: Second floor is better
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 807Nadia807
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Visited some friends in Manchester last year and stayed here because it was central and cheap.

The room stunk, the shower flooded the bathroom, we had to ask for (threadbare) towels, the customer service was dire.

Those movies where children get sent to stay at their aunt's dilapidated house, this was it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keith S
Reviewed 19 January 2014

After spending Friday night there and reading all the negative reviews on Saturday morning whilst in the room. For £49 quid we had a twin room. The room was fine apart from the curtains just hanging onto the window by 2 hooks and a smashed bathroom door. The bathroom shower was OK but the rest of the bathroom was really dirty with very ominous yellowy stains on the bathroom wall. My advice to the manager would be to give each room a bloody clean, it is quite strange to stay in a hotel where no cleaning takes place.
Had to ring reception for a towel which they did bring straightway.
Staff were friendly enough. But please just give your hotel a really good clean. You have a such a great location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends