“Awful hotel down a back alley you cant even get into, dont book it.”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #104 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I booked this hotel to break my journey home on a business trip, I arrived well within the alloted check-in period to find the entrance down a awful side road, the door was locked with an intercom to get through to reception, I buzzed for five minutes and didn't get a response. At this point I gave up and went to continue my journey home. This morning I find they have sent an e-mail advising I cancelled and charged me for the night. I didn't cancel I couldnt get in.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank PJDB1

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Stayed her with my 13 yr old daughter last night, it was awful, first down a horrible dark alley, didn't feel safe here. Room was filthy dirty changed rooms once due to hole in door were somebody had punched through it!! Second room not much better. Spoilt a girly weekend to see dancing on ice

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 26 March 2014

After looking at the pictures, the hotel was a complete let down. Yes it was right in the centre, but apart from that it was an awful stay. The room was freezing up until around 9pm, the window did not close fully and so let all the noise in from outside. The walls were full of damp and wall paper was starting to peel. We had to ask for towels as there were none, and when we did get them we didnt get a hand towel. The shower was nothing more than a trickle. I am glad i did not have to wash my hair there i dont think i would have been able to rinse it properly. The breakfast was Ok, but you cant really go wrong with toast!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed one night. last minute trip to Manchester to watch the football so had to book this hotel due to no availability elsewhere.

Room was very small but warm and clean so it was fine for what i needed. Breakfast was very limited Toast and Cereal.

All in all it was fine but i would not rush back as at £90 a night it was not really worth it and I'm sure given more time you could find plenty better.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

An old hotel which don't offers you anything else but great location in downtown of manchester. No bathroom in the room , just one for the entire floor for multiuse. Everything in the room was old and litle broken , like the roof for example and the walls.
Cheap hotel with nothing good in it

Room Tip: If you are not staying long in the hotel and just need a place for couple hours to rest, book in thi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

After reading all these bad reviews, I'm in shock because my stay was nothing at all as described in those reviews.

Yes, the hotel could do the a re-vamp & yes, it's an old building but I can honestly say I enjoyed my stay here.

Staff were very friendly/helpful, room was basic but functional, breakfast exceeded my expectations (tea/coffee, vast selection of cereals, brown/white toast, orange, apple & cranberry juice, fresh croissants & fruit) & you're right in the the centre of Piccadilly. Winning!

My bed sheets were clean, my room was clean & so was the shared toilet. I passed the cleaner twice in the morning who appeared to be working very hard.

If you're looking for a cheap, one night or weekend stay I definitely recommend this hotel, it's not the Ritz but all aspects are completely sufficient.

I liked it that much I have even booked my next stay (October) & hoping they get a cancellation so I can stay in May.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Well where to start... After cancelling our room here due to the reviews we were told they will still charge us so I went there in person a day before to discuss this matter face to face.
I got told "to go .... yourself" by Muhammad who at first refused to give me his name. I even asked to see my potential room in case it was ok. I got refused. Muhammad also claimed to be a multi millionaire and was just so rude! It was unbelievable!

As I stood in front of him saying that he'll only charge me on the actual date he charged my account DOUBLE!! (I found out thanks for booking.com letting me know within the hour ).

There were drug dealers on the door stop which is by the way down a dark alley.

Do not stay here!

I will be going to the trading standards agency with this and this hotel needs to be shut down!

This is my first review as I feel that everyone needs to know just how bad this "hotel" is!!

Save yourself and spend an extra tenner somewhere else!

• Stayed: March 2014