“The last time i book a hotel without reading the reviews”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #104 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I know the saying is "you get what you pay for" but I've stayed in hostels for £20 which have been cleaner than this place, hot tap didn't work, lock on the door looked like it had been forced at some point and took 5 mins to lock on our way out for the night, what I'm hoping was red crayon on the wall, a nice squashed bug stuck to the wall and a lingering smell of poo about the hall way. The only good point is its central location. Seriously guys, don't do it to yourselves.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katie S

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stupidly did read the previous reviews but thought it's only 1 night did not sleep a wink and do not think when you order a room with a shower that it's ensuite as I did you share a toilet with an entire floor i.e in excess of 20 guests!! Toilet covered in faeces the rooms are appalling windows do not shut so you get no.

This hotel should be bulldozed down to the ground. The room actually had a shower cubicle in the middle of the room, no privacy what so ever. Shower wasnt used as it was stone cold and you were lucky if a few dribbles of water came out. I would have rather slept on the street than in this hotel. Worst experience of my...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stupidly did read the previous reviews but thought it's only 1 night did not sleep a wink and do not think when you order a room with a shower that it's ensuite as I did you share a toilet with an entire floor i.e in excess of 20 guests!! Toilet covered in faeces the rooms are appalling windows do not shut so you get no sleep due to the noise outside our bed was broken the double room is so small that you could not swing a cat!! Our daughter was in a single room & had to come into ours the smell in her room was so bad reported it to reception who stated no other room as full [lots going on in Manchester that weekend] rooms so bad we slept in our clothes and most definitely would not even attempt to eat any breakfast at the risk of food poisioning reported to environmental health this place is that bad do not stay even an hour!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'd have rather slept on the street than waste my money sleeping here. The window was broken, the doors didn't lock, the bed linen was filthy and the walls had holes in...not to mention the thick grime on the shared shower. I wouldn't go back here even if someone paid me to.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank maxiemooey
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel should be bulldozed down to the ground.
The room actually had a shower cubicle in the middle of the room, no privacy what so ever. Shower wasnt used as it was stone cold and you were lucky if a few dribbles of water came out. I would have rather slept on the street than in this hotel. Worst experience of my life. Staff at the hotel didnt care, werent that bothered and did nothing about it. Pillows were as thin as crackerbread, also requested a hairdryer, im still waiting, it never made an appearance.

Breakfast was included, but I declined. I dread to think.

Please do not book into this place!
Just pay extra and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Dont book this hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barry S
Reviewed 14 April 2014

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. That was a mistake staying with some friends for a work night out mid week. When we all left the following morning, everything was fine until I received an unexpected email later that day informing me that I was to be charged for damage to a room door. The hotel debited my bank account without authorisation!!! The was no damage to any door as we are not that kind of people and are a respectable bunch and the hotel claimed they had photographs and when I asked to see them they refused to send them. As a result I have now had to go through the lengthy process of informing the police and letting them deal with it. Don't stay here it's dirty and the hotel photographs bear NO resemblence to the rooms.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Well where do I start I've never stayed in a worse hotel the place was disgusting with hairs in the showers, hanging off curtains and holes in the walls and doors! Plus they are trying to con us by saying we broke the door which was fine when we checked out! They have taken over £200 out of the account of the member of our party who booked the rooms never experienced anything so bad in my life

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends