“It's nice”

Ranked #4 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Bath, United Kingdom
“It's nice”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed here for one night to attend a friend's party. It's a nice quiet location with off street, private parking.

The house itself is nice, rather like a boutique B&B. We had a classic room which was nice, nothing special. I would have preferred one of the larger rooms but alas we were late booking and that was all that was left. We needed a camp bed in the room for our son and we were charged and extra £25 for this. Considering we'd already paid £144 for the room (breakfast not included) I think this is too steep.

The other major issue is the lack of air - I know we've been lucky in the UK this summer but the room was sweltering! Tiny window which opened about an inch and no air conditioning. I would imagine its a listed building so maybe it's too much to expect air conditioning units to be installed but they need to address the window opening situation. It's a ground floor room, there is absolutely no need to have the opening restricted. A nod towards to the fact it was hot would have been appreciated, fan, sheets on the bed instead of a duvet?

Also, one bottle of shower gel between three is a bit rubbish, considering I paid an extra £25 for a camp bed and a towel for my son to use.

Breakfast was very nice, although again, we were charged £15 for my son's breakfast although it was much smaller than my husbands. I sound like I'm nickel and diming but I feel like I paid too much to honest.

I wouldn't return purely because for similar money I think you can do better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Many Thanks for your review. We take on board all feedback whether good or bad and I thank you for your comments. Yes we are a listed building which is over 20o years old, but we make sure that all of guests are comfortable and have a nice nights sleep. Please if you ever are in this situation again, please notify reception and we would have brought you a fan. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Warmest Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous building with plenty of character. Nice lounge bar. Stayed in a villa room, which was a good size and had a lovely deep bath with monsoon shower overhead. Only downside was the very muggy, sticky weather and even with the window wide open it was an uncomfortable night with no aircon!

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. I thank you for your feedback and apologise that due to the sticky weather you did not have the best nights sleep. I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed here just one night, as we were rushed traveling last minute to get to my husband's uncle at a nearby hospital before he passed away. What a treat this was after a long flight from the States, and a day in a hospital. Gorgeous, Gorgeous, GORGEOUS. The only downfall is that if you've got someone with mobility issues, the hotel has a lot of small sets of steps, not all with handrails. My husband and I had a room that was about a 10 minute walk to get to, up flights of stairs, around corners, up and down little sets of steps... all the while marveling at the beauty of the place, but it was really a HIKE from reception!

Rooms are incredibly lovely, comfortable, and bathrooms are a dream with huge soft towels (though our room only had one towel), and great bath products. I'd come here again in an instant for a romantic getaway. I probably wouldn't bring kids here unless they're very well behaved. Staff was all lovely, restaurant had wonderful food, couldn't have been more pleased, and wished we were there for a relaxing romantic getaway. Beds soft and comfy, beautiful decor throughout. (Where did you get those gorgeous hall mirrors?! I want one!)

So, on the whole, very pleased with this stunning hotel, would stay again in a heartbeat. Would like to move in, actually, it's THAT pretty and homey- and I am a pretty picky American traveler. But next time I'll request a room closer to reception!

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues request a room near reception, some rooms are a long, long walk away...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Knittibell
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. We are an old townhouse that has many different levels, so we try to make use of the space wisely without compromising the product. I do hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed on Sunday 29th June following our wedding that day at Manchester Town Hall followed by a Champagne Reception at The Gingerbread House in Marple. We arrived at about 11pm and was greeted very warmly by two members of staff who checked us in quickly and helped us to our room and also brought us plates and wine glasses for our take away we had brought along with us as unfortunately the chef had left with it being so late when we arrived. The room was beautiful and large with a big Victorian bath under the window area and a stunning bathroom with a fantastic rain shower. Everything was spotlessly clean and the bed was huge and so comfy. We actually slept all night which has been a first for a long time. We ordered breakfast to our room which was lovely. The only thing was it didn't come with toast so we had to order down again to reception. My only gripe is the coffee making facilities. We have stayed in a few boutique hotels and most have a full coffee machine, its a shame to pay over £200 a night and get packet sachets of coffee and sugar. A beautiful hotel like this should invest in say a Nespresso machine. That is our only gripe, everything else was fantastic and the perfect ending to our magical day. Oh and I forgot - there were fresh rose petals and roses on our bed with homemade chocolates along side a note from the staff congratulating us on our special day....really nice touch thanks :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClaireHalluni
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. We are so happy that you chose our Hotel to spend your wedding night. We wish you the best in your start of your married life and I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

jrichy026
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding here on the 4th July 2014. As part of the bridal party I stayed for 2 nights in two separate rooms one was a suite which was spotlessly clean and a nice big size, the second was one of the duplex rooms again spotlessly clean the bed was massive and really comfy.
The staff were friendly and nothing was to much for them, can't fault the place at all.

Stayed July 2014
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at the wedding. I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Northamptonshire
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed for one night here and had a lovely stay. The only issue we had was when we came to pay as there was quite a queue. We were in a rush and had to leave and picked up the bill later - which had the correct charges on when we returned. Room service was good, slight irritation that breakfast wasn't in the price, but we would certainly return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and will take on the feedback of the queue upon check out. I hope we can welcome you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Like many people, I had high hopes for this hotel due to the many positive reviews. I’ve stayed at boutique hotels all over the world but I realise maybe Didsbury can’t compete with the likes of NYC so will not be too critical of Didsbury House...

The actual house itself is lovely. The living rooms are very pleasant to relax in and the bedrooms are great – very spacious with a great shower. We had to wait a while to get our room but we ordered some snacks in the meantime which were very good (if not delayed in coming, apparently because they were made from scratch.) The manager was very polite and professional throughout.

The main issue with the hotel is the breakfast including not only the food but also the service and atmosphere. I would strongly recommended not paying for this extra. Whereas the rest of the house is light and airy, breakfast is served in what can only be described as an underground hovel. This would be bearable if it wasn’t for the incredibly unprofessional behaviour of the staff during our breakfast. The kitchen door is next to the seating area and it was wide open throughout meaning the constant clanging of plates and cutlery, hoots and laughs from what sounded like about 15 staff members was overwhelming. I’d paid £160 for one night plus extra for breakfast to be in what felt like a highschool cantine. The food was no better – the eggs Benedict has untoasted muffins and something which in no way resembled hollandaise. Avoid!

Overall, I think if Didsbury House want to get away with charging boutique hotel rates, they need to step up their game when it comes to the breakfast and staff. They’ve got a lovely property on their hands but their staff need to reflect the quality of the kind of establishment they’re trying to run, as does the food.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma B
Andrew B, Manager at Didsbury House, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Many Thanks for your recent review. We value feedback whether it was good or bad. I will be acting upon your comments internally and I hope this has not put you off returning in the near future. Please contact me direct if you are in the Manchester area.