“was promised a "nice room"! wouldn't have liked to see a "bad room"!!”

Britannia Airport Hotel
Ranked #94 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“was promised a "nice room"! wouldn't have liked to see a "bad room"!!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I booked a weekend trip away with a well known coach firm but on booking the hotel was to "be confirmed". When my tickets arrived and I saw it was the Britannia Airport I googled the hotel and was alarmed to read all the bad reviews. I rang the coach tour operator and they assured me they had used the hotel many times before but to reassure me they would request a "nice room" for me and my husband.
We were allocated room 404 and if that was a "nice room" I dread to think what our original room would have been like.
The room stank of stale cigarette smoke and the smoke detector was covered with a plastic bag and there were cigarette butts all over the window sill so people had obviously been smoking in the room. The bed was full of hairs and the bedding and towels were stained. Under the dressing table there were hair clips all over the carpet. In one corner there was discarded clothing tags behind a chair and the chair upholstery was so filthy you wouldn't dare sit in the chair. In another corner there was 3 half chewed boiled sweets stuck to the carpet so it was obvious the room hadn't seen a hoover in a long time. The room was quite cold as the windows had been left open and the radiator didn't work. Overall it was a very grotty room and spoilt our weekend away. I will not be returning to this hotel and would warn people to steer clear!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ajc64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Arabic first
Leeds Yorks England
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I had a one night stay here a few weeks ago as I had an early morning flight to Iceland. I had read a lot of bad reviews but, based on a price of £38 for the night I booked it. First they have a shuttle service that will pick you up from the airport (I arrived at the train station ) and then drop you off the following morning for a flat fee of £7. Bargain and this went smoothly.Second they had a happy hour on which actually was three hours from 5 till 8 pm. I got my favorite tipple carlsburg at £1.80 a pint.(Not paid that for a beer in years!) I then had a meal of ham eggs and chips for £7 not bad. The room itself was comfortable with clean sheets, Some laughable things such as badly fitting bathroom lights, some mildew on tile grout, a picture with no glass and the picture fallen down inside the frame(see photo) and 2 burns or stains on the table, but your not going to stare at these all night are you. A lot of complaints are about how hot these rooms are. This hotel must leave the boiler on all night, I had to get up to turn the rad. down.Good weell stocked tea?coffee making facilities.
All in all a bargain. I wonder though if Alex Langsam (The owner of the chain ) is happy with britannia being bottom in a Which survey into best hotel chains They do have some great old hotels like the grand Scarborough and the adelphi Liverpol. Would love to try these.With a bit of effort I'm sure they could so much better in the ratings. Have a go Alex! and thanks for a good night.

Room Tip: Just ask for a good room!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
yorkshire
Reviewed 18 November 2013

one night stay for 6 of us in three seperate rooms and to be honest it wasn't that bad.. nice big room with two double beds.. tea/coffee making facilities...clean.. décor could do with and update but for what we paid we cant complain. Breakfast cost £5.00 with all you could need.. bar was very reasonable price wise too...wouldn't recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend but if you want somewhere cheap with free parking and then onward to the airport it fits the bill...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

From the outside this hotel needs a serious overall,it's looks very dirty,the interior carpets need a good clean,but on the plus side every thing else was fine,the staff were very friendly and helpful,the transport to the airport was great,the food in the restaurant was very good,bed was very comfortable,for the price we paid we would stop here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Everything the other reviews have said are true. Dirty room & stained carpet, hallways that stank of damp and cigarette smoke. Desperately in need of a refurb, the pictures the hotel have provided look nothing like the room we stayed in. Paid over £80 to stay here the night before our holiday flight, was offered a wake up call the night before which never came. Received a call 50 mins after we were supposed to get the call asking if we'd had our wake up call just as we were leaving to check out! Good job we'd set an alarm or could have risked missing our flight! The staff are pleasant enough, but I would avoid like the plague. Other couples on our flight who stayed at neighbouring Britannia hotels gave similar feedback about the poor state of the hotels. If we hadn't arrived late at night we would have checked out immediately.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

THE AIRPORT HOTEL, MANCHESTER, UK
This room was obtained on the last minute; however, booking last minute should not mean that the hotel hierarchy feel it is acceptable to shove unsuspecting people into any sort of gross, filthy room.
PROBLEMS:
BEDROOM:
Dirty and badly stained carpet.
Stained pillow (can see them clearly through the pillow case).
Black mold around the window (detrimental to health).
Rock-hard bed (worst nights sleep ever).
Extractor fan in bathroom doesn't work.
The lock on the bathroom door doesn't lock.
DOWNSTAIRS:
Evening meal was poor. Steak totally overdone, with a few chips and a bit of salad. And this after waiting an age for it. The table was dirty, so we told the staff, who simply handed us a cloth to clean it with. The staff serving were unshaven and unkempt.
The following night my wife and I went somewhere else for a meal. On getting back we learned from friends - who had braved the restaurant at the airport hotel - that they had had to wait two hours for their meal (and no, the place wasn't that busy to warrant a delay anywhere near that time frame).
Overall, the place is shabby and has the appearance of couldn't-care-less approach. To me, the place would not have been out of place in one of the former communist countries of Eastern Europe. I expected to turn the corner and to see George Smiley standing there in his mac.
Don't even consider this place: there are plenty of others to choose from in the area.

Room Tip: Choose a good room . . . In a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed here with friends for 2 days for attending meetings nearby. We stayed on the 3rd floor. The bedding was thin & beds hard the bathroom small but clean with toiletries. The carpets are very badly stained & look old. It was a very basic styled room but the charge was for something more. Breakfast was a let down as was the evening meal due to the fact that the menu was depleted & none of us could have what we wanted. Even then service was extremely slow. The staff are friendly, helpful, busy & are let down by the conditions of the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter but not sure they are any better. Try a different floor because lookin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ricochetsmum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
The Airport Inn Manchester
Etrop Grange
Etrop Grange
#69 of 116 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South

Been to Britannia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!