“Only just ok for one night”

Britannia Airport Hotel
Ranked #98 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is cheap. Cheap is what you get. Bed was tiny! There was a noise all night like a machine running, and in the morning you could hear everyone else's conversations. Was noisy. As we were only there for about 7 hours it was bearable but I won't be returning. We didn't eat here so no comment on that, although the cups for the tea in the room hadn't been washed properly, they were sticky and the teaspoons looked as though someone had used them the day before.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel661412
There are newer reviews for Britannia Airport Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I booked this hotel after being let down by our chosen hotel. We thought as it was just for an overnighter it would be ok. Well to be honest I will never stay here again, the beds were cheap with cheap uncomfortable mattresses and the pillows no better. It's always difficult to sleep when you know you have to get up early the next morning but even worse when the bed is uncomfortable. The room was clean but the bathroom not great and the bath badly stained. We didn't eat there as we had eaten at home so I can't comment on the food. The car park was a tight squeeze and one of the two disabled spaces was blocked and not really big enough anyway for our car.
There's not much else I can say about it really other than the fact that I would rather get up incredibly early than stay in this hotel again! Think carefully before you stay here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Visited this hotel as part of a coach tour to Coronation Street. I have stayed at many of the Britannia Hotels but have never encountered one like this. Obviously nobody from Britannia reads these reviews as I encountered most of the criticisms made by previous reviewers. The rooms were still dirty and dated. The lift floor was still bubbling and was a dangerous trip hazard. Room doors were still difficult to unlock using the keys provided. The corridors were still grubby and all the brasswork was covered in fingerprints. My room had dated furniture, was extremely hot, the window did not open sufficiently and there was only one bedside table. The bathroom was disgusting. There were screws sticking out of the bath panel and door and the bottom of the door was rotten.

The food at Britannia Hotels is usually excellent but not here! The menu choices for the evening meal were tasteless beef in gravy, lasagne and so called deep fried cod. I had the beef and my partner had the cod. This had obviously come straight from the freezer and the colour was nowhere near the white you expect cod to be. She said it tasted dreadful! Accompanying this dreadful food was a choice of overcooked chips or undercooked new potatoes and a mixture of peas and dreadful cauliflower. Dessert was a choice of gateaux or cold apple pie with cream. Nothing else was offered. Breakfast was no better; a limited choice of cereals and a dreadful cooked breakfast. We waited in a queue and asked the waiter three times for bacon. He said it was on its way. It never arrived! Someone pointed out that the toast machine was only toasting one side of the bread. The answer was "I know. It is broken!". When my partner went to get her cooked breakfast the bacon had arrived but the scrambled egg (the only variety of egg offered) had gone, as had the fried bread.

My advice to anyone contemplating visiting this hotel is - DON'T

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel like the plague!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2014

its cheap, but needs to be cheaper, room was adequate but sooo dated unless grubby 60,s decor is your thing! be prepared to pay extra for everything not mentioned in the advert, £12 each for transfer, £12 each for breakfast, £5 per day to park if you use their carpark while you are away, and be prepared to wait for the return transfer.
dont bother with breakfast, go 3 miles down the road to sainsburys cafe, its half that price and probably twice as good!
reception staff were great, helpful and polite

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Bookcyprus.com
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Below is my communication to this hotel about my experience. I have yet to hear further. My aim is to hopefully receive a full refund:

'Dear Britannia Hotels
I stayed with a friend at your Manchester Airport hotel for one night on Saturday 3 May 2014 in a room sold to me as an executive double room. This was prior to a foreign sail and stay two-week holiday.
'Executive' the room was not and moreover, the general experience was atrocious.
The room was filthy. It was dusty and this extended to the window sills and beneath the bed. There was heavy staining on the two easy chairs within the room and the window side of the material covered bed frame. The latter was either bodily fluid or food staining. The bed was soft providing no support and little comfort.
The room was booked with on-site car parking which was multi-storey, the upper level exposed to windows of some of the hotel's outer rooms. This level was littered with discarded pillows presumably thrown from the rooms above and elsewhere, defunct bedroom furniture was stacked in one corner the surrounding floor space of which had upon it stagnant soapy discharge water. No vehicles were parked on this upper exposed level, presumably due to safety concerns. My vehicle I parked on the lower covered tier with all other vehicles. That said, concerns for the safety of my vehicle remain.
I raised immediately all matters with the duty manager named Emanuel. He was unable to relocate me into another room as the hotel he claimed was full. That much appeared true, reflected in the drunkenness of patrons in the bar and youngsters running around on the landing beyond midnight. Further, certain ales in the bar were unavailable as were all hot drinks from the bar's drink machine.
Week One of the holiday was aboard what I would denote as an executive sailing yacht. Week Two was in a Four Star Greek hotel. The hotel was charged at €35 per night for a double room including breakfast. Although considerably cheaper than you, I have appreciated an altogether significantly improved enjoyment dimension. Such view extends to the experience and facilities of the boat.
Perhaps when convenient to you, I could invite you to contemplate proposals around remedy together with assurances that descriptions of your facilities are in future more honed toward warning potential customers of a need to brace themselves for the dire experience they are to be confronted with on arrival and throughout their stay and when tired and in all likelihood with further onward travel still ahead of them.
There remains little to say other than a conclusion that I would be unlikely to use your hotel again nor recommend it to others.
I look forward to hearing from you in due course.
Kind regards'

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I arrived around 1.15 am. Difficult to find enough space for my medium sized car - finally did with only just enough space for me to squeeze out of the car. I am a fairly small woman. Got my room key but found the room was already occupied - a very surprised man woke with a start. I was fairly quickly given another room. In the morning I was waiting for the airport shuttle. The staff were trying to find a missing couple, and I heard them phone the wrong room and waking someone up who was not due for the shuttle. Found the missing people were in the lobby all the time.
Did not feel a safe place because of the disorganisation.
If you do want to take advantage of the price/parking I suggest you ask for more details about shuttle times. I found I waited rather a long time at the airport as had to go too early and on return had to wait too long for pick up. No fault of the pick up service, it is just not very frequent and I should have asked for more information before booking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank enjoymytrips
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Last minute booking, god this place needs a make over ... With an atomic bomb! ... OK, so for £50 I wasn't expecting the Ritz but basic hygiene and courtesy would be a start, lad behind the bar was a star bless him but try and get a cup of tea in the lounge during breakfast service, that ain't gonna happen without someone being a jobs worth! Bring back the bar lad!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank martinwc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane South
The Airport Inn Manchester
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Travelodge Manchester Didsbury
Travelodge Manchester Didsbury
#55 of 120 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester Airport

Been to Britannia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!