“Great Service Shame about the room”

Britannia Airport Hotel
Ranked #93 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Harrogate
“Great Service Shame about the room”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We booked this hotel with car parking staying on the night of our return, about 10 minutes from the airport the price isnt too bad, taxi return fare is £20 which still makes this relatively good value for a night stay over and 8 nights parking. On arrival we parked up and rthe hotel booked our taxi to the airport which arrived in 5 minutes. When we returned we booked the taxi when collected the luggage and it arrived very quickly. Back at the hotel (At 2 in the morning) we checked in to be told we were down as a no show, this was quickly rectified and were offed a room with an ajoining room (Had booked a family room). The rooms were adequate but what let them down was the cleanliness, the furniture etc.. were borderline clean but the carpets were absolutely filthy, we didint like walking barefoot they were that bad but we were only there for a few hours kip so just got on with it!. When we left checkout was quick and friendly. What this hotel needs certainly in the case of our room(s) is a deep clean

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Arabic first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed here on Saturday as part of a Caledonian Travel "Coronation St Studio Tour". Reading some of the previous reviews I wasn't expecting much but the place was fine for an overnight stop. We had dinner, B&B package and whilst the food wasn't brilliant, the buffet style meant you had a bit of a choice. The room was clean and tidy, if a little worn looking, and the bathroom spotless. If you didn't fancy the hotel food, there were plenty of pubs and eating places within a 5 minute walk of the place. The bar was a busy rendezvous point and had reasonable prices...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Stayed prior to and after my flight to Turkey, The hotel is a bit tatty and in the need of a "good scrub". I booked the airport transfer, OK going from the hotel, absolute nightmare on my arrive back at Manchester, As requested I called from the Baggage collection, I was told, quite rudely that I had juust missed a shuttle, when I qiestioned How long would I need to wait, I was toled that "one would be with me as soon as they can" the lady, sorry female, on the phone was curt and abrasive.

There is no way in a month of sundays would I stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Book at another hotel and do not book the transfer shuttle
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bof49
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here this week on business, the price was very low but for a reason! I should've paid an extra £5 a night to stay somewhere different...

The hotel itself it's smelly and dingy. The staff at reception and the bar are ok.

My room was freezing when I got there as the cleaner left the window wide open. Took a whole day to warm up.

The tv barely worked, so never watched it.

The lamps next to the bed had exposed wires and flickered.

The toilet paper looked old and dirty, even the brand new rolls.

The cleaner, oh my don't get me started. She starts work at about 5:30AM!!!! All you can hear is her opening and closing doors, banging around. She comes in to do room service before 9am unless you put the sign on your door!! If you're not here for business then expect to be forced to wake up early! God knows what the owners of this hotel are thinking. She then barely cleans, tidies the bed and changes the bins. Oh, she also leaves both toilet seats UP so you have to touch the dirty thing every time she is finished!

Don't bother with the food in the bar, what a waste of money. The breakfast in the morning is a hot breakfast, but the scrambled egg is made with water and is stone cold. Generally appalling.

They couldn't work out what was going on with breakfast, I wanted to charge everything to my room but they didn't tell me how to do this so I had to keep going back to my room to get this piece of paper thy gave me when I checked in. Ridiculous. Plus the taxi phone orders cabs that are so expensive, I downloaded the Minicabster app and saved £3 on every journey!

If you're staying here one night and need something cheap, it's fine. Just don't expect anything other than a bed to sleep on!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank SG222
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel recently for one night. For the price, I did expect it to be a bit dated and traditional. The rooms are fine. The TV is a decent size. I used the wifi downstairs which I cannot fault, I was streaming and updating my website without any problems. When I checked in I was served by Lucas, who was delightful. I later went down for food and was greeted by a huge coach party. So granted, I knew it was going to be busy. My pizza took around 40mins, but I didn't mind as I had wifi and the two bartenders (Stuart and Eammon) were the most polite and accommodating staff I've come across in a long time! As my food was late they offered my complimentary drinks. And just felt welcome. Something I seldom feel when travelling around a lot. I also don't write many positive reviews. The staff were wonderful. Thanks for a great stay :)

Room Tip: Wifi was only downstairs in the comfortable lounge
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Proladygolfer
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed here twice last month on the way to Crete and also on our way back. It is about 10 minutes drive from the airport and you have to pay for your transfers which is £12 for a return journey. The rooms are clean with nice bedding, tea and coffee making facilities, trouser press so perfectly adequate. On our first visit we had a nice meal which was on on offer 3 courses for £12.95 plus a glass of wine or beer or soft drink. However on our return visit the restuarant was very busy and the food was not great. We were very disappointed as our previous meal was excellent. This hotel is good value for an airport hotel and I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Have to agree with other reviews the hotel is not very nice the only plus point was the parking & taxi transfer to the airport. But was only there for a few hours before our early morning flight. Staff helpful & friendly. Food average. Very cheap for our room & 10 days parking so that was a plus point. Don't expect luxury but handy for a early morning flight & parking which is covered & secure.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Park View Residence
Park View Residence
#73 of 117 in Manchester

Been to Britannia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!