“Not as bad as previous reviews indicated”

Britannia Airport Hotel
Ranked #93 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Sydney
“Not as bad as previous reviews indicated”
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I booked this hotel before I had read the reviews and wondered if I should have cancelled but my experience wasn't too bad - though it started badly.
This is NOT an airport hotel and so should be renamed as it is misleading - it is quite some distance away from the airport.
My bad start occurred through waiting for the hotel's airport shuttle - I was using Manchester Airport for the first time and had an overnight stay between flights. As there was nothing on the hotel's website to indicate where I could pick up the shuttle, I rang and got directions - and waited where I had been told, in the rain, before taking a taxi. To their credit, the reception staff then did not charge me for cost of the return trip the following morning and apologised for the mix up. Mind you, the shuttle which was supposed to leave at 5.45am (told to be down 10 minutes prior which is really quite early in the morning) finally took off just after 6.00am - felt that was really sloppy service.
However, after that, things were OK - the room was reasonable size, everything was clean and fresh and my wake up call came through on time.
Would I stay there again - probably, though I would prefer not to have to fly through Manchester at all - found the airport really ghastly, just one notch above Heathrow. Why are British Airports just so bad?

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Arabic first
Victoria
Reviewed 20 September 2009

The room was dirty, the heated towel rack did not work, the toilet did not flush properly.
Breakfast was not bad the first morning, the second morning it was easy to tell that the sausages and the scrambled eggs were heated up leftovers from the day before.
"Traditional Fish and Chips???" They were frozen out of the box and I expected Fish and Chips! We were in England! Hash brown potatoes were the frozen triangles.
Don'e even think about the stale lemon merange pie.
This was rediculous, especially for the menu prices.
Very, very disappointing end to my trip to England. I will never stay in this hotel or any Otel accomodation due to this deception. Pictures on the Web Do Not really show the "True State" of the Britannia Airport Hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Essex, England
Reviewed 14 September 2009

Where do I begin??? So many complaints. Carpets in room were filthy. Sheet torn. Full hotel and only one lift working occassionally, we had to walk down too often, no service. Friends of our were stuck in the lift when it broke down, pushed the alarm button, no one came, so they had to call other friends on their mobile that were in the hotel to go to the desk to let them know that the lift was stuck with them in it. Long lines at the food 'buffet' counter. Food was awful, dishes not replenished quickly enough when empty, food cold, one toaster to share with seven floors of guests, long lines to wait for it, staff indifferent, tea and coffee in jugs and cold. Anyone that decides to stay at this hotel must be desperate.

• Stayed September 2009
Yarm
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We booked this hotel as we had a morning flight from Manchester and needed overnight accomodation and parking. Unfortunately we didnt read the reviews before booking.

I have never before stayed in such a dump. The reception area smells of stale fried food, but even worse is the pungent smell of cheap airfreshner in the coridoors and bedrooms to mask out the stale and foisty smell! The windows don't look as though they have been cleaned in the last 10 years and the wallpaper in our room was hanging off the wall. The carpets in the coridoors are absolutely filthy.

On arrival we were told that as we were leaving early it would be better to book a taxi for the trip to the airport and get the shuttle bus for our return from the airport. The taxi to the airport cost £10 - which we didn't mind paying as we would have paid this for the return shuttle transfer - however, we didn't get a return transfer as the bus drove off without us - completely EMPTY so we had to get a taxi back to the hotel to collect the car at a further cost of £13.50!!

Avoid at all costs - just pay a little extra a stay somewhere decent.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
bolton
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The dirtiest, smelliest, cheapest place EVER!!!!
Don't go!!!!
Our so called 'Executive' room stank of stale tobacco.
The bedding was cheap and grubby. The windows were filthy.
The bathroom was basic, with cracked tiles.
The reception was dirty, with worn out carpets .....and staff!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Margaret River
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I had not read Trip Advisor reviews when my travel agent suggested Britannia as an option before a flight back to Australia. So I was surprised at how old and tired the hotel is. The rooms were adequate and clean enough but not spotless. The water was hot and there was plenty of it. So there were some pluses. However it was not possible to open the windows and there was no sign of any air conditioning. So the room was stuffy and we did not want to spend any longer in than we had to.

There is nowhere else to eat anyway around- so we had no option but to use the restaurant having handed our hire car in earlier. The staff were very nice and the food tolerable- no more!

We did not realise how the hotel was from the airport- we should have checked- and yes, the shuttle does go "around the houses" and takes 45 mins to a 10 minute trip. Also there is now a notice saying shuttle costs - 4 pounds per person ( a taxi for 2 is only 9 pounds!). However as we booked before 31 March 2009 we were not charged.

The desk staff were efficient- but hardly friendly. The bar area has TV going non stop- more like a poor quality pub than a hotel. We paid $1AUD140.00. I know this is the UK but this hardly seemed like value for money. We normally stay in B&Bs and get so much more for our money! Next time I fly out of Manchester I will stay somewhere else or try not to have stay overnight before a flight.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed 30 June 2009

we used this hotel for parking while going on holiday for 2 weeks booked through Superbreak. never again. the hotel was filthy and run down. the staff couldn't have been more UNhelpfull if they tried. the sheets were grubby and so was the tatty old blanket on the bed. the mattress was so uncomfortable i was awake most of the night. parking was not secure. when we arrived it looked like someone had thrown a dirty nappy out of the window it was still there when we returned 2 weeks later. the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. i am just thankfull we didnt eat there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Manchester Airport (M56/J6) Runger Lane North
Park View Residence
Park View Residence
#74 of 117 in Manchester

Been to Britannia Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!