“Not bad”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #22 of 29 Manchester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My boyfriend and I needed a place to sleep for a few hours as we had missed the last train to get back to Glasgow after our flight. We were told about this hotel and called up to see if they ad any rooms available as everywhere near the hotel was fully booked. We reserved a room and got to the hotel just after midnight. The man at reception was very friendly. We paid our £50 and he showed us to our room, he also gave us the number for a local takeaway as we hadn't eaten anything since morning. Anyway, the room was dated and very basic but the bed was comfy with four huge pillows and we had a good sleep. The bathroom again is basic. After a quick shower we headed down to breakfast - which is included in the price. We sat down and the cook came and took our order. The food was really good, a nice English breakfast with tea and toast. After we had finished the cook asked if we would like anything else so we had some more sausage and bacon. We had to check out early in order to catch a train and the man at reception was happy to call us a taxi while we grabbed our cases from the room.

Overall, we had a clean room, we slept fine, breakfast was great and the staff were lovely, even if the hotel is a little out dated.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2013

My friend and I stayed at the imperial hotel (booked by my husband) while seeing Robbie Williams in concert on 18th June 2013. The first room we were sent to had the following problems:
Musty smell, mould in the shower, cracked shower tray, overflow pipe from toilet going into the shower, no water coming from the shower head, smoke alarm covered up by a carrier bag!! Asked for another room after saying all the problems so we were given a room on the top floor which was really warm, had boogies on the wall by the bed, only 1 mirror in the bathroom, very uncomfortable beds, unframed pictures stapled to the wall and a door that wouldn't shut properly as well as a carrier bag covering the smoke alarm! Staff didn't want to know, although pictures of the hotel show a bar there isn't one ! We didn't bother staying for the breakfast because we couldn't wait to get out of there!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a two night break to attend the Rugby League, Magic weekend. Booked a little late and it was one of only a handful of hotels left at 'sensible' prices...

First the good bits;

The staff were very friendly and helpful..

The breakfast room was good and the breakfast was excellent, all food freshly cooked and served hot with extra tea and toast etc on request. The kitchen staff were very attentive and friendly.

Location was good, there was a bus straight into town from the top of the road about 100 yards away. Also plenty of late night shops and restaurants within easy reach...

The sheets and bedding were clean and there were fresh towels which were changed after one night.

Now the 'bad' bits:

This hotel clearly needs a complete refurbishment. I'd read the negative reviews about it being dirty and have to say I definitely did not find it so. However it was very, very, very dated..The carpets and curtains and decor were probably ok when they were done many years ago but now there's paper pealing and an old shower (usable) There's a kind of musty smell to the place which is a little unpleasant.. There was work going on at the hotel which didn't get in our way and I assume it was an attempt at upgrading.

In conclusion, this was a cheap (£50 per night, per room) stay, for which we only needed somewhere to lay our heads and have a reasonable breakfast in the morning. It fulfilled this, but was in a very unattractive environment, and would not be suitable for those who like their comforts to be much more than very basic. The staff were great and that's why we've given this a 3 star rather than much less..Hopefully they will do the place up in the future...

Room Tip: Wouldn't really advise using this hotel unless you just want somewhere quick to lay your head..
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Travelled with our daughter to Manchester [ student at Manchester Uni ] and booked Triple room at Imperial Hotel as only available place to stay. Triple room consisted of 2 bunk beds + single bed in a room like a corridor. Blanket covered window as curtain , coat hanger in wardrobe was a looped piece of string , sheet soiled on 1 bed . Didnt dare attempt breakfast and ate out . just got head down for night and promptly left in next morning . Money was insisted on at Reception before key to room and have little all else to say to people other than , Imperial Hotel is a HORRIBLE place and avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Forget it People.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank seamus16
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Imperial it is not!
I booked to stay here for 3 nights when on a 4 day course. Everywhere else was full on the 2nd night due to the football. I do like to be positive when I can so on a positive note the reception staff wrere lovely, the white cotton sheets were clean and the white towels were also clean and fluffy, however, the room was awful and at £40 per night a real rip off.
The bathroom (shower, toilet and sink) was dirty, mouldy and had an electric heater with the plug hanging off the wall and under the sink, so lethal....and the smoke detector had a plastic bag covering it completely...a bit of a death trap, although on another positive I was next to the fire escape!
Breakfast wasn't the best, my poached egg was more like a hard boiled egg and the cup and saucer stuck to each other.
My friends looked the hotel up on this site and decided I couldn't possibly stay there another night so they very kindly picked me up on the second day and took me back to theirs in Ilkley and brought me back in each morning, I was so very grateful to them.
Would I stay at the Imperial again......definately not and I wouldn't advise anyone to stay there either, this place needs closing down by the health inspectors!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank IzzieRolls
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Booked two rooms (before seeing the other reviews) and when we arrived we we shown one tiny room with a bunk bed and a bed which wasn`t even big enough to be a single. Two teenage kids and two adults would never fit in there.

The exterior reflects the interior so should you be unfortunate to arrive there just hit the brakes and go to the Travel Lodge nr the airport instead.

I`ve never seen anywhere as bad as this and this and I`ve stayed in some terrible places whilst travelling in my youth.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark R
Reviewed 13 February 2013

Hotel! More like a doss house from another era, can not believe places like this exist as a commercial business in 21st century uk! Appalling, dirty, smelly, you don't see the room before payment which I know is the norm but when you do see it it is too late to get your money back. Prison cells are better kept

Room Tip: Do not choose this place, it is a slum
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo