“Very Average Hostel Stay”
Review of Hatter's Hostel

Hatter's Hostel
Madison, Wisconsin
“Very Average Hostel Stay”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I spent two nights here with a friend and was very underwhelmed by this hostel. With this one, you truly get what you pay for. Decent beds, fairly clean bathrooms, and hardly any breakfast at all. Also, the Wi-Fi is only free in the common areas, which can get quite crowded. Overall, while I can't recommend this hostel, it is an average option in Manchester, which has limited options.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - we're slightly upset that you weren't wholly satisfied but hopefully we can do better if you ever return!! Our breakfast is just a light continental, so consists of cereals, toast, muesli, yoghurt, fruit and juices, but it is free!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 29 June 2014

i stayed here last week because based on the published information, it is just a few minutes walk from piccadilly station (i had an early flight from Manchester airport so i opted to stay in manchester for the night as the first train from durham will arrive later than my flight).

and true to its ad, hatter's is indeed just a few minutes walk from the train station, not 5 minutes though, maybe 7-10 minutes of relaxed pace. with the google maps on my hand, it was also quite easy to find. Along the way, was a tesco, restaurants, bars, etc so you will definitely find everything you need within the area (after all, it is within the city center of manchester).

Upon arrival, the receptionist was just lovely and friendly. checking in was fast, and she'd provide you with all the information you need during your stay including providing me tips as to how early/late should i leave for the airport the following morning. And oh, the reception, although just straightforward, nothing fancy, was spacious and not cramped (unlike most hostels which just want to maximize space that they forget the reception gives an impression on how cramped the room is). Adjacent to the reception was a social hall, with couches and tvs and where breakfast is served, and again, i have to commend how big these social spaces are.

I got a bed in a 10-bed mixed dorm on the 2nd floor. impressively, the room was big. the highlight for me is the bed, because it was wide (not your typical hostel bed size) and it was sturdy - meaning, not the type which creaks every time you move. for me this is essential because for someone who sleeps on the top bunk, you don't have to worry being to soft on your movement so as not to disturb the one on the lower bunk, or for someone on the lower bunk, you don't have to get pissed of the noisy person on your top.

If there's one thing to complain though with the rooms, it would be the lack of electric sockets for those staying on the lower bunks and that there's only one light for the room (i came in around 10 and someone already turned the light off, so i had to move in darkness the entire time). these things, i think, are easy to improve though.

as for the toilets, considering that the hostel is inside a very old english building, the design can be quite freaky. but these were functional and clean - so nothing to complain. the shower room, however, was quite impressive in terms of cleanliness. i just had issues with the temperature control since the shower was automated (both in temperature and the pressure).

breakfast by the way is included - self serviced and consists of cereals, bread, juices, and some fruits.

i only stayed for a night, but i would definitely say this is a hostel worth your money :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
It is always nice to get a long detailed review rather than a couple of vague comments, thank you!!

We will be working on installing more power sockets - we agree that they are in awkward places as the building obviously wasn't designed to be a hostel! For the time being we are happy to keep your things charging at the reception desk, or point you to where you can find plug sockets in either the room or communal areas.

We're really glad you had a good time, and were able to see the best in our old building, we love it!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at this lovely place for one night. The staff was generally helpful. The rooms were clean but very basic. Towels are not provided. If you require this luxury, be prepared to pay additional 2 pound. Computer are available at extra cost. Breakfast option was very limited. Toast, jam, cornflakes. Not much space to sit down.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, look elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Being a backpackers' hostel, it is true that we offer the basics at a low cost rather than hotel luxuries. Our breakfast does consist of a little more however, including fruit juice, yoghurt and fresh fruit. This is served in our communal area which is very large but admittedly can get cramped on very busy weekends. When it does get busy however, we have a second kitchen on the first floor that everyone is welcome to use.

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Marseille, France
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights at the Hatters and my overall experience was good. The location is excellent, the rooms are quiet (it's probably better to be on the upper floors because the music at the reception is quite loud) and the bathrooms and toilets are clean. I really liked the communal room on the ground floor, there are many tables so you have space to sit and use the wifi. Please note that you have to pay if you want to use the wifi in the rooms.

The only thing I was not satisfied with was the fact that some members of the staff were not friendly. I paid my two nights the day I arrived and the day after I realised that I should have used my credit card instead of cash, because of the bank fees. I asked at the reception if I could have my cash back and pay my stay with my credit card but the girl said straightaway "no, it's your problem". I wish she had at least tried to understand my situation.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors are probably quieter.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Unfortunately we do not do cash refunds as they are not recorded/documented as securely as credit card transactions are. However, that kind of attitude is inexcusable and I apologise for how our staff's response came off.

We're glad that you enjoyed the other aspects of our hostel - we try to make our common areas as social as possible and love to see people making friends with strangers :)
Shawinigan, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Bad service and very noisy all night long. Quite dirty. Too expansive for what you have. Also, no Wi-Fi service in rooms compare to many others hôtels. At least near of Manchester city center and most importants attractions.

• Stayed June 2014
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Our hostel is more of a party hostel than our other one, so if you are looking for a quiet night our sister hostel, Hatters at Hilton Chambers, may be more suitable. Because it is more of a social hostel, we keep our wi-fi limited to communal areas so everyone doesn't hide away in their rooms! If you do need it in your room it is available to pay for, but our communal areas are open 24/7 :)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms are pretty basic, the one we stayed in had ok curtains or blinds. The beds are comfy enough. The bar downstairs with free pool and sky sports on TV was a bonus. Just don't drink the draft beer as it was awful!

The location was good, near to the train station and a short bar crawl to concert square!

Wouldn't go back, would prob pay a little more for a hotel!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
We're not sure if you may have traveled forward in time - our bar is only just in the making!
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

For a large hostel, this ended up feeling really cosy! The rooms were a good size and great for the price! I stayed in a 10 bed dorm and made friends with almost everyone in the room. The common areas are fantastic and very inviting so it's a good place to meet people! I ended up meeting a group of travelers and we all stayed up talking until 2am. The staff were fantastic and so friendly!! We got along with them very well and the looked after us. If you are a bit funny about being naked in front of strangers then prepare yourself because the shared bathrooms don't really give you any other option but to strip down in the room before getting into the shower as there is no space for your things!
I ended up having my own little Manchester family while I was there! Highly recommended!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hatters M, Manager at Hatter's Hostel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Every now and then we get a group of strangers in who mesh so brilliantly together and make Hatter's what we strive for it to be, thank you for being part of that!! It's a sad and lonely place when you all disappear :p

Thank you so much for the review!