“Fab hotel, great city!”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Great hotel, great rooms, great staff, great bar - great stay! The Radisson combines just the right amount of style and comfort, staff are helpful and friendly and the hotel feels like a really well managed establishment. We had a 'city view' room on the 14th floor (curiously, the 13th floor doesn't exist - is this a feature in all Radission hotels or a uniquely Mancunian one??) which indeed had great views over the city and the Pennines beyond. The room was generously proportioned, well appointed and very well maintained... In short- had a great stay and will most certainly come back!

Room Tip: Splash out on city-view rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for this feedback and your compliments on our product and service.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester

Reviewed 5 May 2012

From the moment you walk into this magnificently renovated and extended building, you just know you are in for a treat!

The Reception staff made us feel really welcome and check-in was so smooth. We had asked for a room on a high floor with views over the city and we were so pleased we had. The bedroom was not overly large but it had everything we needed and was very well designed. There was quality throughout, from the toiletries to the Bang and Olufson TV and sound system.

The Opus restaurant is a popular venue for a good evening meal, though it is nothing to rave over. The breakfast, served in the Café Alto, was extensive and a great way to start off the day. Always busy in the mornings and yet we received the warmest of welcomes every day from Leanne, the hostess, who really made us feel at home. What a gem she is and a wonderful advert for the Radisson experience with her quiet efficiency and pleasant demeanour. Hotel residents can qualify for a special breakfast deal so it is worth asking at Reception.

The Concierge service is very good with lots of helpful tips and suggestions from the team on places to visit and how best to get around this city.

We did have one rather unfortunate incident in that we wanted to have a glass of wine and a read of the newspapers. The staff in Opus advised us to go into Café Alto where it was more relaxed and brighter for reading purposes, so we did. We had not been there very long when a wedding party came in and gradually swamped the place, making us feel very uncomfortable. In the end, we gave up and took our drinks to our room. We explained to the Alto manager what had happened and was quite disinterested, being more concerned to ensure we had signed for the drinks! However, as we entered the lift, another manager came in. He was most concerned to learn of what had happened and apologised, offering to send each of us a fresh beverage to our room. Now, that is the correct way to address dissatisfaction, so well done!

The Radisson Edwardian is very well located, close to the Manchester Central (formerly known as the G-MEX Centre) and within easy walking distance of the Opera House, the Bridgewater Hall, a range of good restaurants, the main shopping centre, the Law Courts, the Central Library (currently being extensively renovated), the Metro Link and the MEN Arena.

We enjoyed our stay here very much indeed and will be retuning when next in Manchester.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room overlooking to city (if you are not afraid of heights!)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review and for all of your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed here for a restful night away from the children and to celebrate my partners birthday. As we have been here quite a few times now we always book an alfresco suite as we like the extra room, although would love a view.
On arrival we were extremely pleased to find out that we had a complimentary room upgrade to a penthouse suite. An beautiful room complete with balcony and amazing view.
The only grumble have is that on this occasion we decided to have the champagne afternoon tea in opus one, unfortunately I had a hair in my jelly and our sandwiches had been made with stale bread, I did point this out to the waiting staff and was surprised when we didn't have something taken off the bill especially when your paying £60 for the pleasure.
Anyway this would not put us off visiting the hotel just opus one.
Staff on reception were very welcoming and extremely helpful as always. Can't wait for our next stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

I am pleased you enjoyed a restful stay, thank you for your feedback. I was most concerned to read your comments regarding afternoon tea and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this in detail with you personally and hope you will contact me directly at your own convenience. Many thanks

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Yet again I found myself having to go to Manchester for business / conference. I had not been able to book a hotel at the Radisson Edwardian last time, as they were fully booked. However I managed to this time. It was my 4th stay here, and to be honest, probably one of the best city hotels I have stayed in.

If you are like me, and need a little comfort (old and tired bones) and to be treated with respect, dignity and courtesy I can not think of a better hotel chain. I have stayed in others around the Manchester area, and found myself always comparing them unfavourably to the Radisson.

The room is designed well, intelligently, and with all the bits and bobs needed to survive a business trip (Free WIFI, kettle, coffee, ironing board, and a decent shower). TV had sky sports etc. Excellently large and comfortable bed. Breakfast was freshly cooked to order, no a hint of canteen food.

Even after check-out the guys at the concierge desk were helpful, look after my cases, arranged me a taxi. Can not rate highly enough for the business traveller.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for this excellent review and your detailed feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Stayed here for a trade exhibition which was across the street at Manchester Central, so the location couldn't be better. It was also great for Deansgate with all its bars and restaurants.

The rooms are very sleek and modern, though I think they've perhaps lost a little character with this. As other reviewers have said, the rooms can get quite stuffy at night and turning the thermostat down to 18C doesn't really help much. Even if you're not too warm it does feel like there's no fresh air in the room. I prefer windows that open! The strange blind panels for the windows also had seen better days and had to be carefully arranged and prodded so as not to let too much light in.

The staff were all great and very helpful, though I would have preferred being told there was a 10% 'optional' service charge for drinks in their OpusOne bar. I didn't discover this until after I'd paid the whole bill at checkout, at no point was I given the 'option' not to pay it.

Breakfast was good, very plentiful, I was given 2 discount vouchers on check-in for the full breakfast at £12.50 instead of £18. The cooked items were really good quality and well cooked. My colleague however wasn't given any vouchers so we used them both the first morning. The second morning we just went for the continental breakfast - at £12.95 it was probably the most I've ever paid for a bowl of cereal, fruit and toast!

Overall, it's a nice hotel but there are better or equally good experiences to be had at a lower price nearby.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your constructive comments, I am sorry you found the room too warm. For added value we always have breakfast inclusive rates available via our own website.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

Very friendly people, and they try hard, but for me it doesn't help when the minimum temperature in the room is 18 degrees celsius, i.e. impossible to sleep in, windows can't be opened, and the wifi is kind of there, but not really.

They just knocked on the door and offered to prepare the bed for the night, something which is really nice but also really not necessary, if they instead could invest in proper wifi and either windows that can be opened or air-conditioning that can be turned down at night that would be much better.

Besides that; lovely rooms, especially the bathrooms, short way to the city centre, nice and quiet.

But I won't stay here again, I'd rather find a cheaper one, where I can open the window, keep the temperature low at night, and have proper internet access.

Room Tip: You can request from the reception that they override the air-conditioning and set the temperature d...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank disig2012

Thank you for your compliments on our location and service. I am disappointed that you would not choose to return.

Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for business last week and I am due there again this week however I am browsing at other options due to the room being too hot at night - I hardly slept!

Breakfast, The Bar, The staff are all great however the air con can only go down to 18c - at night during to sleep this became very uncomfortable - I was in a twin room and my bed was on wheels - not ideal!

If they could sort the Tempature out this hotel would be excellent

• Stayed: April 2012
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I was concerned to read your remarks and would be most grateful if you could contact us so that we can identify the room number and rectify the faults.
Many thanks.