“Fantastic Hotel but poor on breakfast”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“Fantastic Hotel but poor on breakfast”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The 'out laws' decided to take the kids for a weekend away leaving The Wife and I an opportunity to get away from it for a while. We decided to stay in Manchester on the Friday and Saturday night and made a good choice in opting for the Radisson Blu Edwardian.

The facilities were very well presented, clean and taken care of. The gym is a tad on the small side (and seems to be an after thought) and we didn't use it, nor see others use it either. We tried to have a treatment in the Spa but were told that we couldn't because there were weddings and hen parties already booked in. If you stay here on a whim then you will struggle to get an appointment.

The service throughout was good but this was severely let down by the fact that each (and every time) we charged a drink etc to our room, the staff automatically and without warning or authority added a tip to our bill. This even happened on items we had from the mini bar.

On the Sunday morning we queued for over 40 minutes to get our breakfast. Again this was purely because of the wedding(s) they were catering for.

Check out took longer than I would have expected (again, the theme here is the hotel struggles to cope with weddings!).

The room, however, was absolutely fantastic. The location excellent and it is these reasons why I personally would award the hotel "Very Good". The hotel manager telephoned me after I left comments about the service charges and refunded them all too - but I feel that I should have been asked in the first place rather than the situation sorted out later.

I would stay again definitely - albeit powered with the above knowledge!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a city view if possible.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you were unable to have a treatment in Sienna Spa but recommend booking in advance.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Came here with my Girlfriend last weekend. Set my satnav to the postcode and it found it easily. Very easy to get there from the ring road, another dual carriage way basically straight to the hotel. Massive car park opposite, £18 for 24 hours, not amazing price but ok I guess?

The hotel is really close to the center, can walk about 10min to everything and the area seemed always busy which was good for walking back at night.

For the price of £70p/n, it was really nice, much better than a premier inn etc and only cost a little more.

Can't comment on the facilities because only used the room, but the room had everything we needed and there was a big bathroom so we were happy!

Overall good hotel for business or evening stop over. Surprised by price too as I thought £70 was miles better than the £120 Hilton I stayed in a few years ago.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Thank you for your compliments on our product and location, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

A nice architectural mix of modern and classic. Check-in very efficient. We booked an Alfresco suite, very well appointed, with wet room, although quite small. Nice dressing area with dressing gowns, wardrobes and sink. A massive bed, good quality coffee machine and a great outdoor area. Whilst there was no view outward, the area was covered so you could enjoy the space whatever the area. My only concern is that I would have expected a larger room bearing in mind this was a suite, only one comfortable chair to sit on - not good enough.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I am please you enjoyed your stay in an Alfresco suite, thank you for all of your feedback.
Bristol
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We checked in on Friday for 2 nights and first impressions were great. The receptionist was lovely, a really bubbly girl and check on was smooth. We went up to our room, and on the surface it is a great well equipped room however dig a little deeper and there are 'niggles' that let it down, won't list them all but to give you an example when other rooms open/close their doors it sounds like it's in our room, VERY loud! Our door also doesn't open or close smoothly it needs an inch shaving off, I can't open it need my husband to... The desk has a lump of tatty wood to, I assume, stop it from wobbling... When we first got into the room the cushions were on the floor - the maid must have forgot to put them on the bed... The bin in the dressing area is too light so when you press the peddle it tips up... The room was also very dusty... As I say, none of the above are earth shattering but they shouldn't occur in a 5 star hotel. Despite the above an other small negatives, there are many positives such as it's location, the bars and restaurants - especially the cocktails! And as mentioned the staff. Would I stay here again, umm I may try the Hilton round the corner next time but if the price was right here I would be back.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank MrsSSBtobe
I was most concerned to read your comments regarding our housekeeping standards. Please be assured I have addressed these issues
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2012

The wedding reception was superbly run. Every detail was carefully thought through, staff were outstanding, food delicious, service efficient but unfussy. Lauren and Ryan as the co-ordinators were superb, and nothing was too much trouble.

Don't fall into the rather expensive trap of booking rooms at the special concessionary rates for wedding guests. It would have been way cheaper if we had booked rooms directly on the internet.

Room Tip: Families can request two interconnecting rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Booked spa day at the sienna spa that was given to me as a gift from my gf, also book a hotel room to compliment the spa day. Check in was fine, polite staff, room was nice as expected as we've stayed before. Booked spa for 2pm, took ourselves down to the spa, only to be told there was no reservation for us at the spa!!!! Disaster!! We were told there was not much they could do, apart from book us in at 10am the next morning. Pointless!! Was told 'you've probably booked in the airport spa, it's been happening to loads'! No, clearly booked it by telephone using the contact number on my gift card!! We were given an apology by the manager who was polite an apologetic an extended the gift card expiry date!! Deputy manager was polite in dealing with the situation, putting us in a larger room, which we was pleased with but was very disappointed at having our plans ruined by some unprofessional person, for obviously not doing what they have been paid to do in 5 star hotel in logging our booking!!! So we still have the spa gift card. Maybe we'll be back for the spa but in all honesty I would if I could get our money back for it!! :-(

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jamiewinst
I would like to reiterate our apologies for the error on the Spa booking system. I am pleased we were able to offer a room upgrade as a small gesture for the inconvenience caused. We hope to welcome you back very soon.
Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner stated over for the Olympics. Room was very nice and clean. However was very disappointed with the service. I left my make up in the bathroom. 100% certain it was there. The following day a rendered rang the reservation reception to ask them to look in lost property for me they say they would ring back, they never did I then rang back again 5 hour and the gentlemen I spike to on reservation turn round and said to me because I couldn't remember the ladies name .." what do you want me to do about it"! I was very shocked and gobsmacked!. I then spoke to the manger he says he would find our what maid cleaned my room and get back to me straight away it has been 2 weeks now and still heard nothing from them. I had to now replace all my make up over £200 worth. Was very disappointed with how nothing has been done as this is classed as theft !

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Chranet
I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly so that I may obtain further detail and personally investigate the missing items.