“Great Hotel”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Radisson Blu on the 17th April. This was our second stay at the Radisson after a fantastic stay a number of years ago. This visit on the whole did not disappoint, we probably paid a little over the top for the dinner bed and breakfast deal but given it was the eve of a bank holiday I suppose you come to expect this. Check in was a little sluggish as their were a few weddin parties in the hotel during our stay which is obviously no fault of the hotel. A slight annoyance for me was that when we did get aroun to checking in it was rushed and we were not afforded any information on breakfast or dinner, it wasn't until prompted that we were asked where we would like to dine for the evening, we chose the opus restaurant. The room was excellent and lived up to its 4 star billing. Dinner was so so. The food was fabulous however the service wasn't the best. We were made to wait between courses, getting a top up on drinks was also time consuming ad when we requested coffee at the end of the meal we had to wait almost 20 mins.

On the whole an enjoyable stay, room for improvement on the service front and we probably wouldn't eat in opus again given the choice of dinning in Manchester city centre

• Stayed: April 2014
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for all of your constructive feedback. I am sorry you were disappointed with the servide in Opus One, please be assured that this is not our normal standard. For clarification I can confirm that we have recently been re-acrredited our 5 star status.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,774)

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Wife and I just spent weekend at radisson blu Edwardian and found the hotel beautiful except for 2 things
1 kids were allowed in pool up to closing and in our case where we expected relaxation, kids having fun , screeched and shrieked and jumped in and out of pool, we just couldn't relax and enjoy a lovely facility and left after 30 mins.we have kids ourselves and understand that they need to play and have fun but could it not be that 630 - 8pm be for adults only ...it is after all advertised as a spa,
2 . we went to the downstairs bar just before heading out and ordered 2 gin and tonics from a young lady, she duly served these and without leaving the tonics poured the whole of each bottle into each drink and said that's 23.95, I thought I misheard and asked again but no it was stg. 8.00 for a gin coming to 23,95 for 2 incl tonic and a service charge of 2.95 and considering we stood at the bar, no pretzels no peanuts , I think it's robbery

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Walterwalsh

I am sorry you were disappointed with your recent stay. Sienna Spa is available to all hotel residents however I will remind the team to be a little more aware of the whole environment. As a standard we do serve snacks with drinks so please accept my apologies for this oversight.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Spent just the one night here but wish I could have stayed for more. Close by to the tram stop so very easy access to Central areas and Piccadilly Station. Walking to the city centre is also a easy 10 minute walk. Close and easy walk to the Coronation Street tour also.

From walking through the lobby to the check-in desk you knew this would be a 5* stay. All the staff we encountered were excellent and always willing to go the extra mile.

We had a room on the 11th floor which gave glorious views of the area. Room was clean, modern and all the accessorises you needed. A big TV, electric blinds, walk in shower I just loved it.

The spa area was very good and free to use as a resident. The pool, small jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms were quiet and relaxing.

Breakfast buffet was comprehensive for hot and cold items with good waiting staff.

My first time here and with Radisson Blu Edwardian, I will be back!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this excellent review of our product, location and service. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stopped for one night in Manchester at teh Radisson Edwardian. The location is fabulous, the building and amenities are first class. Service was outstanding and everyone made me feel really welcomed.

I aso recommend the spa and the restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for this great review of our facilities and for your kind recommendation.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

love it here, oasis in the city. fab decor, staff all v helpful and friendly, pool is gorgeous (though sometimes bit busy and changing rooms v small). had lobster in the room £17+ a tray charge (cant remember how much). room's really nice and new and clean. cant wait for another visit!

Room Tip: there was a massive queue at breakfast - go a bit earlier. also bit busy in the pool. also order...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed at the Raddison after spotting a good deal on Expedia and decided to have an impromptu night away with my wife. It's only fair to put the positives of our stay at the start of the review as there were far more positives than negatives. The hotel is stunning. Situated in the Free Trade Hall, it is a mixture of historic Manchester and modern architecture. The rooms are modern, spacious, well equipped and very comfortable. The hotel staff were warm, friendly, attentive and couldn't do enough to help. The hotel is well positioned, just off Deansgate for shopping, eating and a multitude of bars. The hotel bar is a lively venue serving fab cocktails. Breakfast was again excellent, probably one of the best I've had in a UK hotel. Everything was fresh, piping hot and constantly replenished. We ate in the hotels "this or that" restaurant and it was faultless (see separate review) For a couples weekend away, the hotel itself couldn't be faulted.
I do however have a couple of gripes. Firstly, I booked an Easter Special through Expedia and was expecting a Green and Blacks Easter egg on arrival - on arrival, no egg!! Secondly, I do not agree with paying a 10% service charge on drinks at a bar. We had a couple of rounds of cocktails and drinks and the bill was supplemented by a service charge. There weren't even any nuts or nibbles to justify it..... At least with dinner you are told on the menu about a discretionary service charge, but when ordering drinks, there was no apparent mention of it. Final negative didn't really bother me as I can sleep through anything but my wife isn't so fortunate! We were in a room that had what I assumed were the kitchen fans beneath us, they droned on all night meaning she had quite a disturbed nights sleep..... All in all however, a great hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor which was noisy, suggest going higher up to avoid the noise from the fans...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this detailed review of our stay and all of your comments. Our standard service is to offer "nibbles" with all drinks so please accept my apologies for this lack of attention.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Manchester 10th April for 3 nights with my son following a very successful experience at the Radisson Blue Golden Lane Dublin.
I was a regular guest at this well located hotel in Manchester but changed by allegiance to two other hotels 3 years earlier which turned out to be a huge mistake. The Radisson ( even though not a 5 star establishment) is to my mind the superior establishment in my home city for many reasons:
Better rates .
Better location.
Better rooms. Cleaner and well maintained ( the room I stayed in was of a very high standard)
Great hotel staff.
Accommodating room service ( I requested breakfast 20 minutes after it had ended but was still served a full English which good.
Great Opus bar ( it's a hotel not your local pub so the prices are always higher than your local ).
Afternoon tea is delicious , take the champagne option and loosen your "belts".
My son stayed with me and used the gym which he said was good for a 4 star property.

Would I stay again, of course and would I recommend it, of course and is it superior to the other 4 & 5 star hotels , without doubt , when in Manchester it's your only choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for all of your very kind comments. I am pleased to confirm that we have recently been re-accredited with our 5 star status.