“Really enjoyed our stay”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Impressive hotel- lovely atmosphere and decor- all staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. Room was a good size and really comfortable- bathroom lovely and lots of full length mirrors! Beware of the mini bar tho- it has sensors so if you move anything it's automatically charged to your card! I made this mistake but the concierge were happy to accept my mistake and didn't charge us for just 'moving' the items! Would definitely stay again although we got a good deal on our room- not sure I would pay full price! Ate in the steak and lobster restaurant which had nice food- but drinks in there and in the opus one bar are very expensive £10.50 a cocktail and £7 vodkas without mixers! But there are enough bars nearby so you don't have to pay these prices all night.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for this review of your recent visit and for all of your feedback, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester

Reviewed 5 May 2014

stayed at this hotel last night and really enjoyed our stay the staff are fantastic and i must mention jimmy on reception who was so helpful in storing our luggage after check out until we returned later to pick it up

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your compliments on our team.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel had to fill certain criteria; 1) had to be city centre (tick); 2) had to have parking (tick) had to have nice rooms (tick); 3) had to be within walking distance of the MEN (tick) 4) reasonably priced (tick again). The service started when we pulled up outside and the concierge helped with our bags (only overnight paraphernalia) and me to get to the room (whilst my husband did a mini tour of Manchester to get to the parking the hotel suggested) which you need your room cards to activate the lift. I was shown to our huge room (standard business double) and we were not disappointed. The only thing you need to bear in mind is that you are experiencing 'city living' so you live cheek by jowel with the neighbouring flats so close the blinds! The concert at the MEN was amazing (Michael Buble) so to celebrate we treated ourselves to a trip to the hotel bar. Normally quite aloof in the middle of most cities (possibly a sweeping comment) but not here- the staff were really helpful, polite and dare I say it chatty. The made us feel at home and the drinks were reasonably priced too. All in all, the hotel added to our mid week break to see MB. We will return again when we have more time to enjoy the facilities.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

I am delighted you enjoyed the concert and your stay with us. Thank you for your compliments on our product and service. I hope you can return soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

to be fair we didn't have a great start here. we arrived at the huge sprawly car park they advised on their website but we there was no signage their to help us chose an exit. as we didn't want to be lugging our cases around manchester for hours looking for the hotel we called them but the concierge made us feel as if it was our fault we didn't know where to go.

when we finally arrived and checked in, they had given us a twin when we booked a double.
however they did change it for us despite them saying they didn't have any doubles available.

our room was clean and pleasant and nice toiletries provided in the bathroom. we chose not to eat in the hotel as there was such great choice not far away.

our sleep was disturbed by someone moving furniture (that's what it sounded like) on the floor underneath us at 3 am (our room was on floor 2 and there are meeting room on the 1st floor)

in the morning we decided to use the spa facilities but there were no bathrobes or slippers in the room. so we looked for an information pack to get a number to ask for some. there wasn't any information provided in the room at all so although we were in our swimming costumes, we had no choice but to wrap one of our room towels around us and walk through the hotel like that.

when we checked out, we did mention the robes were missing as the empty hangers informed us we would be charged £95 each if they were missing.

only then were we informed that all the information we had been looking for was on the tv. as no one had told us on check in and as we had not turned the tv on we didn't know this so a lot of hassell could have been avoided

would we stay here again? not with so much choice elsewhere and probably providing better customer service (ie you are not made to feel stupid for not knowing things they should have helped with!)

Room Tip: go higher up
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roamingjode

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay. As you may have seen fromother reviews, this is not our normal standard so I would like to apologise for these shortfalls. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you in detail and would be grateful if you contact me direclty at your own convenience.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The hotel is situated in what I regard as the best part of Manchester and in easy reach of Deansgate, St Anne's Square, The Arndale, St Peters and Albert Squares. It is built on top of what was the old Free Trade Hall, where as a child I was taken to the Halle orchestra concerts.

Our welcome was efficient and the porter took us and our luggage to our room. It was a Deluxe standard and was perfectly acceptable with a king size bed, a chair and table plus an excellent wet room type shower and a separate bath. Incidentally one of the only hotels I could find in Manchester that had a separate shower without purchasing a large suite.

We ate first night in the main restaurant and this was fine without being memorable but again the service was fine. In fact throughout our stay the service by all members of staff was of a high standard and of particular note was the very helpful concierge, Paul and the young manager of the restaurant.

Breakfast was a little crowded and was expensive at £18 per head for a full English buffet or made to order dishes but it was of a high standard and turned out fully worth the price. One minor gripe that as with all modern hotels there was little space set aside for sitting and lounging ......I still hanker after those old establishments that have a lounge with comfy armchairs and a roaring wood fire in the winter ..... suppose it shows my age!!

What this hotel is, is a comfy, clean city centre hotel with excellent service and perfectly adequate bars and restaurants. I would happily use it again at round about £100 per room per night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review of our hotel. We are proud of our heritage so I was interested to read that you had visited the old Free Trade Hall. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is the old Free Trade Hall building which is lovely. Checked-in after a 5 minute wait around 5pm. Was given room 821 & told it had a lovely city view. The room was nice but the view was a flat roof which we found funny although you could see a lot of buildings beyond. Im not sure if this is 4 or 5 star but was quite surprised that the bathroom had a huge chip in the wall tiles (Very obvious) & chips in the bath & grout was black around base of bath which looked like mildew, this may be me being anal as these are things I make sure are clean at home. Other than this the room was fairly spacious & bed very comfy. The staff were extremely helpful & genuine & more than willing to help in fact they made the stay really good & special thanks to Jimmy in Concierge. We had a meal at Opus Restaurant in house I had steak & my partner & friend had the lamb all wonderful again with fabulous service. Breakfast I wasn't over impressed I hate buffet style ones anyway but we had to wait to be seated as restaurant (Steak & Lobster Restaurant) was very busy & possibly not big enough for amount of guests so was surprised it didn't extend to Opus restaurant. Food very average & had to wait for saute potato, shame really as despite signs everywhere saying award winning breakfast I felt this let the hotel down but again staff & service second to none. I would stay again but maybe room only & pass on breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for this detailed review of your visit and for all of your constructive feedback. I was concerned that our housekeeping fell below our 5 star standard, please be assured that this oversight has been rectified.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for a business trip. It is my second stay and I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Manchester. From the minute you step into the lobby, the service is excellent and you never get the impression that it is just for show. The staff genuinely seem to enjoy their jobs....particularly Jimmy on the Concierge desk who is amazingly helpful and always smiling! Rooms are a great size with fabulous bathrooms and lovely toiletries. The breakfast was delicious as was the evening meal in the steak and lobster restaurant and I would highly recommend a cosmopolitan in the bar! The spa is wonderful and very clean and the gym is a good size. It is difficult to find any negatives about this hotel and as such, am looking forward to my next stay in a few week's time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business