“brilliant hotel”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Me and my niece stayed here for one night, as we were seeing one direction at the Etihad stadium. The check in process was very quick and Mani was exceptionally helpful, the room was lovely and very clean. minibar is in the room, a large smart TV and docking station. The wifi was a bit slow at times, and when I was streaming music from my tablet the tv kept crashing.
we ate a late lunch in the bar, but was disappointed that the menu only had sandwiches and some tapas, I would have expected more choice.
The leisure facilities were brilliant we used the pool, sauna steam room and pool. the location of the hotel, close to lots of facilities. Would definitely come back

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Thank you for all of your very kind comments, I am pleased you both enjoyed your stay. I am sorry you were mis-informed, but we do indeed offer an extensive menu, please accept my apologies that this was not offered to you.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I stayed here Friday night with my 15 year old son just for a treat and a night away. The customer service is excellent and Luke, in particular, was very helpful. The room was lovely and the bed very comfortable. We used the pool and hot tub which we both thoroughly enjoyed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for these kind comments, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The biggest disappointment of anything you pay for is not getting what it says on the tin. In this case the room we booked was a 'city view room' which came at a premium to the deluxe rooms and which the hotel's website advertises as follows ... 'All the comforts of a deluxe room with stunning views of the city.'' You can imagine our disappointment then that despite being on the top floor (14th) our view was straight across into an apartment block. (see photo) . Not sure where they get the poetic licence to call that view ''stunning''. Aside from this the room was stocked with every convenience you would need for a weekend break away. The hotel itself is also ideally located to all amenities and perhaps as a consequence of this its public drinking areas were mobbed on both Friday and Saturday nights. It also made the breakfast room a zoo of people come morning time with the undermanned staff unable to cope with the heaving mass of humanity.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nw05250

Thank you for your feedback, due to our city centre location the views do vary throughout the hotel. Both of our bars and restaurants are very popular with hotel guests and local residents particularly during weekends, however I would like to apologise for the apparent lack of attention during breakfast service.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My Husband and I spent one night at this Hotel, on a recent visit to Manchester. I would say that the hotel's greatest asset is its staff, whom we found courteous and pleasant. We did not dine in the restaurant, although the surroundings looked attractive in the evening, with candles lit on tables.
On arrival, after driving for several hours, we were upset to discover that the hotel does not have a car park, and there is very limited street parking. (Council?) Notices are displayed on the street, threatening fines for parking outside the hotel, so we were concerned even about stopping long enough to unload our bags. I ran into the hotel to ask the Concierge about where to park and was informed that, in fact, we could park outside for 15minutes, or so, and then park in a public car park -around the block somewhere. If we wanted valet parking, it would cost £24 per night - a rather ridiculous price! We later discovered that we could park in allocated street parking spaces after 8pm for free, if we collected our car before 8am. As we intended to make an early start, this suited us just fine.
On checking in at 14:30, we were told that no rooms were available; as official check-in is 15:00, this seemed strange. However, after playing around on the computer for about 15minutes - while we waited anxiously, as we were trying to get to a hospital for afternoon visiting time - the Receptionist said that he had found a room for us. The room was in a corner at the end of a corridor and seemed acceptable, until we noticed that the bottom half of the window was opaque - it was like being in a pub! There were no curtains and the blind consisted of what can only be described as a thick rug! As the room was overlooked by an apartment / office building, the blind had to be lowered for privacy, while we were in the room. This meant the room was in darkness and lights had to be on, even in daylight hours. I was not happy about this and complained at Reception, as we left to go to the hospital. On our return, we were informed that another room was available, so we moved to Room 822, which was preferable, having light curtains, 'proper' blinds and even a better view. It seems that some rooms have been refurbed and others have not.

As has been commented by others:
*there were no bathrobes or slippers in the room; after making a call, one robe was delivered at 10pm;
* the promised ice bucket, with ice, was not in the room
* no bath mat
* shower water was very hot and we were not able to turn the temperature down
* the room was hot overnight: windows could not be opened
* we did not watch TV, but discovered when in bed with lights out, that a flashing light was emanating from the TV . Finally, we had to pull out the furniture and disconnect from the main socket
*no manual available re information about room settings, or about the local area or places of interest. Apparently, this is available on the TV, but there is nothing to tell you this, either at Reception, or in the room.

On the positive side, the bed was big and comfortable and the heated towel rail in the bathroom is a nice touch.

As there is no comments sheet available, I enumerated these points briefly and left an envelope at Reception, 'for the attention of the General Manager'. (Stephen Miles)
After arriving home, I received a call from someone in Guest Relations, who asked me to elaborate on the points I had made and apologised for the fact that the Hotel had not been up to the expected standard. I was assured that the matter would be brought to the GM's attention and that I would receive a call from him, 'within the next few days', to offer an acceptable response. Almost 7 weeks have passed and, after innumerable follow-up emails from me, I am still waiting for that promised call. On 9th May, after a second email forwarded through the main reservations website, I received an email from the Customer Service Manager, Stefan Rae, who apologised for the delay in dealing with the matter and assured me that he would 'respond at the earliest opportunity': I'm still waiting!
As we know, there is always a chance that we can be disappointed in an hotel, or a restaurant, but it is the way that complaints are dealt with that makes the difference between a desire to return, a recommendation to friends, or a warning not to 'go there'. As members of the Radisson Blu rewards scheme, we have experienced great hotels, and service in other countries, but will not be rushing back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Manchester.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WaryDubai

I was most converend to read that you were disappointed with your recent visit. Further to the comments you made via the on-line survey, our Reception Manager and Customer Service Manager both responded with various emails. As I personally did not receive anything in writing from you, I would be grateful if you contact me directly so that we can discuss this in some detail.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Lovely hotel. Very comfortable city break stay with my wife.
Standard of service was excellent; very polite and helpful, friendly staff.
Room was very comfortable. Good facilities and a fantastic bathroom. All very modern and extremely user friendly. Great night's sleep was had.
Great views from our room.
Our Breakfast was very nice; not the best I've had in a Radisson but certainly above average.
Very good indeed. highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and recommendation, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My friend and I booked into the restaurant for an evening meal while my sister attended a Gig in Manchester. We had heard that they have Rib eye steak or full lobster for £17 every night on the menu, so we decided to give it a go. Highly recommend this. The restaurant is lovely and posh but not stuffy and the food was amazing., My friend had the lobster and had a choice of how it could be cooked, boiled or grilled and I had the rib eye cooked to my liking. You also get unlimited fries with your meal and salad.The waitress came and asked us if we wanted any more fries a couple of times. The drinks are quite expensive but I think that has to be expected in a Hotel and a city. It was £6.50 for a glass of wine and £2.75 for a diet coke, but I think you can have no complaints when you are getting yummy food so reasonable.
If you fancy good food in a lovely restaurant, I recommend this and enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Requested connecting rooms and was so pleased that we got just that. Rooms very clean. Loved the wet room type shower. Staff very helpful and friendly. In an excellent spot for the shops. The pool is wonderful and relaxing. We only had a snack at lunchtime and we had drinks in the evening which were quite pricey, but expected in such a hotel. My only niggle was that the bedroom doors really slammed hard and kept waking us up in the evening. Would defiantly return if we got a good deal.

1  Thank kevnelaine2016

Thank you for your feedback and kind comments, we hope to see you again soon.