“A Nice Stay”

Ranked #18 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“A Nice Stay”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon and the hotel was quite busy. The reception staff were friendly and polite.

The room was very average for a five star hotel. Not up to the same standards as other hotels with the same rating but still very nice. I had phoned ahead to inform the hotel that my husband was celebrating a special birthday and was disappointed that they did not do anything to mark the occasion. The room had no bathrobes and no biscuits which was a bit of a let down. Also there were stains on the carpet and on the window nets. On the plus side the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom stylish and clean.

We visited the pool and spa facilities which were excellent. The hotels fine dining restaurant was outstanding, some of the best food that I have ever eaten in a hotel.

Would make a return visit if I was staying in manchester.

• Stayed July 2014
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear Brown0827
Thank you for you very kind comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We apologise on your room orientation that the location of the bathrobes was not explained. We of course realise that tastes are very subjective and you were not that impressed with the recent upgrade of our product which included all bedrooms
We look forward to welcoming you back for a luxury break in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Iom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a mid week break to watch robbie williams. We were looking for a luxury stay in Manchester.
Arrival was okay, no one was over friendly but nothing to complain about either.
There were plenty of doormen etc around if we had required directions.
The location of the hotel is great for the centre and was a 20 minute walk to the concert and even closer to the shops and resturatns in the area. No compliants there.
The lobby was not particularly welcoming and was to be honest pretty standard. It did smell of bleach at one point of our stay which made the whoel area smell like a nightclub having been cleaned from the night before!
I had booked one of the suites that had a covered "balcony" outside. It was £240 a night with no breakfast. The room was spacious but the fixtures and fittings were tired and in need of a revamp. The balcony was not particularly private. Although there were no smoking signs on the table outside on the balcony (remmeber it is covered there is not much fresh air so semi inside) when I wetn to my balcony people on other balconies had been smoking. In addition there wre cigarette buts bewtween the wooden slats on our balcony. Not what I would epxect from a 5* hotel. It should be cleated proprerly and those that smoke should be charged extra for the cleaning costs. The room did smell slightly "smokey" as well.
The room was quiet, the bed comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.
The bahtroom was very small and the sink area part of the main room - odd for a suite at £240 a night!
The mini bar was expenive but nothing new there for a hotel like this.
The main bar was very busy and was being used by confrence atendeeds. We were irritated by the automoatic 10% charge added to our bar bill, particularly as at one time we were sat at the bar and so did not need table service. It also did not state that this charge was discretionary. In addition the first beer was served in a lovely cold glass the second a warm glass so no consistency in service. We were the only ones in the bar at this time so no excuse over being too busy.
The lobster and steak reaturant was very disappointing. It also smelt badly of bleach and the sevings were tiny for £17 a main meal, the lobster not fresh and the steak undercooked and thinly sliced. The food took along time to arrive and there were only two tables. The fries wree nothing to write home about and the salad just salad leaves with a bit of dressing. Will not be going back.
Overall we slept well and the location of the hotel was good but not a place I would return to with my husband for a luxury break.

Room Tip: a high floor, but watch out for the cigarette butts in the balcony rooms!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Saaris
Dear Saaris.
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. You are quite right we are a no smoking Hotel and we should have paid more attention to the decking of your recently refurbished suite from the previous guest who had clearly not respected out policy.

We are sorry that you did not like our Brand Aroma which is circulated through our air conditioning system.

Our extremely successful Steak and Lobster concept offers outstanding value for either an 8oz steak or whole lobster at £17. As the leading hotel in city we are very focused on exceeding our customer expectations, so we are sorry that we have not met yours.

As to not mislead any readers of this response we are delighted with the feedback on our recently completed mutli million pound upgrade of our product.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a good location, the receptionist (Vicky I think) was superb.

Rooms are comfortable although a keyboard to go with the smart TV would be useful.

Our stay was not perfect as we had a bit of a problem with room service. Good organisations set themselves apart but the way they handle problems. And the concern shown personally by the food and beverage manager after the event gives me confidence that this is a great hotel.

Stayed July 2014
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear PLC1976,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and even though you experienced difficulty our team were swift to rectify the issue to your satisfaction. We hope that you will return to us soon

Kind Regards
Hull
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My mum and I stayed at this hotel on a Friday evening in April. The lobby of the hotel is beautiful, looks very expensive, and clean. Although there are some rather bizarre ornaments about, such as a large chicken and a buddha, very nice all the same. The doorman was very friendly, asking about the day and commenting on the weather and what not. The reception staff were helpful and friendly, although one of the younger girls seemed to have an issue understanding me, as she did not seem to speak very much English. Location wise, it is not far from the centre at all, we discovered, when leaving, that there is short cut that is a 5 minute walk into the centre. There is however always taxis outside, which is very helpful, especially if you aren't sure where you're going.
I really don't want this review to come across negative, I always see things on this site, and think that people are moaning about nothing, on the other side of that it does need to be an honest review of my experience, there are a couple of points that I think could be improved upon, we went up to our room, which was quite hard to find, as the numbering didn't really make much sense, the corridors were a little dated and tired looking, which was a shame, and unfortunately the rooms were the same. The bathroom was lovely and modern, and the room itself was very clean and neat, it was however, rather small. I came to Manchester last year and stayed at the Macdonald, and it was considerably cheaper and the room was much bigger. The view from the room was practically non existent, if the blinds were up, half of the window was frosted, and the other half looked over to the corridor on the other side of the hotel, which sort of left you with no choice but to have the blinds down, which made the room very dark. Other than that everything was about average, all very clean, minibar was well stocked, but over priced - but that is the case anywhere - the spa smelt and looked lovely but we did not use it.

The main issue that I had with the hotel was the payment. On arrival my card was taken and swiped to authorise the card, i was then told that payment would be taken on departure, in case of any extras, I thought this was fair enough and pretty standard. So the next day on check out they confirmed the full amount (plus my late night minibar pringles) would be taken from the card, i thought nothing more of this. Until the following Tuesday when I happened to check my account to have no money at all!!! This of course panicked me and i called the bank. What had happened was the money had been taken on check in, and placed in a holding account, then on check out, it was taken again, so essentially it was taken twice, i called the hotel and kicked off a bit in all honesty, and the complaints team were lovely, they explained this to me so i understood, i still think it is pretty daft, but they put me at ease and the money was returned to me. I do feel that this tainted the stay a little because of the stress of it.

If i was back in Manchester i would consider staying here, but i do think there are cheaper hotels that are just as nice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bears0403
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review of your time with us and for your feedback on our design and location. We have recently invested heavily in upgrading all of our bedrooms and corridors so I was surprised to read your comments and would not want other readers to be misled regarding our standards
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked this for a theatre break on my wife's birthday. We got an excellent deal and everything went so smoothly except the weather - it was pouring down. From the friendly welcome at the front desk to the lovely room and birthday welcome plate, we had a splendid time. Thanks, we will certainly come again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
I am pleased your wife enjoyed her birthday celebration. We hope to see you again and perhaps our Manchester weather will be kinder next time.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I've stayed here a couple of times almost whenever I travel to Manchester for business or pleasure. The hotel as expected from Radisson Blu is very well maintained and top class service. The staff were very helpful even suggesting the best places to eat or hang out with a detailed map provided! The hotel is walkin distance from Manchester Picadilly station and also from the main City centre.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of our service and location and for all of your kind comments.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Perfectly good hotel. Everything you want is here and the staff are very professional. Food in the bar was decent and the rooms were clean and tidy. It might lack a bit of charm, but thats only a minor note.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. We are proud of our heritage within the Free Trade Hall so I am sorry you feel we lack charm but appreciate individual taste.