“Perfect dining experience and fantastic service from Ben thank you”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect dining experience and fantastic service from Ben thank you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We visited the raddisson thursday 17 th July was my daughter start off her summer break we did a little shopping & decided to go for afternoon tea , soon as we arrived we was greeted by the concierge desk very polite & happy to guide us to the restaurant . We ordered afternoon tea gentleman & traditional both we're amazing a selection off sandwiches ,scones and cakes also fish and chips and warm pork pie was excellent .we were served by a lovely Ben who made our day so friendly and attentive . The day was truly amazing excellent food forgot to mention the Yorkshire pudding was fabulous all the staff were so friendly can't wait to return thank you excellent service

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tina C
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I am pleased that you enjoyed our Afternoon Tea offerings, thank you for your very kind comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was an excellent hotel. The location was perfect, but I am not sure all taxi drivers in Manchester know where this hotel is and what it is called, one of them said "oh you mean the Old Free Trade Hall”.

The staff are all very competent, knowledgeable, effective and the added bonus - pleasant.

The public areas are sumptuous and spacious. The breakfast buffet was a feast – the room was a little compact as they have tried to get in as many tables as possible but, it works. The bedrooms are well furnished and well proportioned.

There were long queues at reception to check out with that dread in your mind 'this is going to take ages" - it didn’t this attests the ability of the staff to work efficiently.

Smashing place, the history of the building is awesome

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better as is the case with most city centre hotels
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for this review of your recent stay, we are proud of our heritage within the Free Trade Hall. I am pleased you enjoyed our luxury without pretension service.
Ascot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

We book two rooms for one night. The check-in was a bit strange as I had to give a guaranty for any purchase done on my room number (which I am OK with) but the same was not done for my daughter’s room (which had an impact later one). My wife and I were upgraded to a business room (due to my Carlson status) and to be honest I have no idea what is the difference between a standard room and a business room except the two chocolates that were waiting for us (no Nespresso machine for example like in some other Radisson hotels). Also the benefits of the business room (if any) were not highlighted to us. The two rooms where OK but I have no idea who came with the wonderful design to put the sink outside the bathroom into the room (6 feet away from the bed) and put a semi-opaque door for the bathroom. My daughter tried to enjoy the room service in the evening and I was appalled she needed to pay cash for a meal as not credit card information was taken for her room. Fortunately she had money on her but I though having the two rooms booked under the same booking code would have been enough to charge it on her room (or even mine). It is not like our room where close to each other’s, they were 2 levels a part. Overall the service was OK but it seems that like of attention of the staff is the norm instead of being a special case. We had to wait quite a while to be served at the bar (and it was empty) as the staff was more than happy to speak to each other than serving the customers. Will I come back, no if I had to pay and yes if I use my Carlson points. The rooms are cleaned and the hotel is well maintain but you can find similar hotel in Manchester with better layout room (with a real bathroom) and more friendly staff

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ascot53
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Ascot53
I was most concerned to read your comments and disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. I would be grateful if you contact me directly so that I can discuss this with you in further detail.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

You really couldn't ask to stay anywhere better in Manchester. This hotel had a perfect location, right in the middle of everything. Easy walk to shopping, entertainment and public transport. The room we had was just about perfect. Wonderful bathrooms with separate shower/tub, a good size wardrobe, in room safe, easy to access wi-fi and the automatic window shade was an unexpected and fun touch.

The room was quiet and felt very private. The cleaning staff was so discrete, we never saw them but they managed to keep the room spotless and snuck in to give us nightly turn down service. The staff at the desk and the concierge were all equally exceptional. Always very polite, and happy to help with anything. You really felt like an important guest here - no matter that we booked off hotels.com deal time. Even though you pay a little bit to stay here, you feel like you got a deal by the time its all said and done.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and this hotel, along with the Manchester Airport Radisson have basically made me a loyal customer. I will look for one before any other from now on.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
I am delighted that we are your first choice hotel and appreciate the itme you have taken to write this review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

Its an odd mix : the old part is just the lobby and bar , then the rooms are in a modern glass tower block. The room itself was fine , but stuffy (no opening windows) and the A/C fan was very noisy and there were a couple of minor niggles in the bathroom : clogged shower head and broken knob.. We were disappointed by the bar , a bit gloomy and "dead" even on saturday night. We didn't take the breakfast (an expensive extra on the already high room rate in July) : the choice looked rather meagre , and the restarant was rather uninspiring/ uninviting / gloomy with closely packed tables. Staff/ service friendly enough , but wouldn't stay again , nicer brighter buzzier and better value places around (eg Doubletree)

2 Thank alann6
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Alann6
Thank you for this feedback following your stay. Firstly I would like to apologise for the fault with your shower. I am disappointed that our product design is not to your taste, our Opus One Bar has proved to be a very popular venue and has generated some great reviews, however I appreciate that personal preferenced do indeed vary. For added-value inclusive breakfast rates are available on our website.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We chose the hotel as it is close to the Bridgewater Hall where we were off to see Elvis Costello. On arrival my partner (on crutches post recent knee op) was greeted by John Lewis, the concierge , who kindly escorted her to reception, helped with check-in and then took her to our fantastic room. The next morning we wandered down for breakfast and was greeted by Gosia, who noticed that my partner was walking with crutches, she took control, cleared a table close to the buffet and handed us over to Jessica. Jessica was equally as attentive, discrete but magically appearing when needed.
End to end the hotel experience was brilliant, the hotel is exceptional the service experienced even better. Three call-outs : John-Lewis , Gosia and Jessica, thank you for making our stay perfect. (If readers are wondering Mr Costello wow! , 3 hours of perfection)

Room Tip: 14th floor but al rooms will be great
1 Thank JohnDoherty1999
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear JohnDoherty999,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of the Free Trade Hall hotel and our team with other travellers. I am delighted to hear that a number of our team members looked after you. I hope that your recovery following the knee op is going well and we look forward to welcoming you back ( minus the crutches ) soon.

Kind Regards
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed here for one night last week for an anniversary break. We travelled to Manchester by train, and managed the simple walk to the hotel from Manchester Victoria in approximately 15 minutes. The weather was pleasant and we quite enjoyed the walk through the bustling city streets but would recommend a taxi if travelling to the hotel from Victoria with heavy luggage. Upon arrival I was impressed with the swift check in (we were told that check in was from 3pm but had no trouble checking in at about 2pm) and spacious lobby. After being asked if we'd like assistance with our bags or any reservations made for dinner, we made our way to our room on the third floor. The room was spacious and well appointed, and I loved the design of the bathroom, with two separate areas for vanity/dressing and bath/shower/toilet. The quality of the toileteries was excellent, but I do slightly object to a five star hotel having wall-mounted re-fillable pump action dispensers for shower gel/shampoo/conditioner. The bath also required a little cosmetic maintenance. We left the hotel in the evening for a dinner reservation, and returned to the hotel bar for cocktails after the meal. The service we received in the hotel's bar (Opus One) was exemplary, with the barman providing me with a bowl of strawberries to accompany my cocktail, which at £10 was expensive, but delicious, and rounded off the night perfectly. After an excellent night's sleep, which was partly due to the excellent blackout blind in our room, we had a pain-free checkout in the morning and were pleased to find that we were able to securely leave our bags with the concierge for a few hours whilst we headed out to explore the city further before returning home. Overall, a very pleasing experience was had at this hotel, and I will definitely return on future trips to Manchester.

1 Thank spangletastic
Dear Spangletastic,

Thank you for completing such a detailed review of the hotel and your time with us. The hotel team like nothing more than exceeding our guest expectations and going the extra mile to make you happy. I look forward to welcoming you back soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
The Midland
The Lowry Hotel
The Lowry Hotel
#3 of 20 in Salford
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,381 reviews

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester? Share your experiences!