“Affordable luxury, wonderful relaxing break”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 9 November 2008

We've just returned from a one night stay at the Radisson in Manchester, and I feel relaxed and rejuvenated! I emailed the hotel a couple of months ago to book a weekend break to celebrate my birthday and our wedding anniversary and was given a choice of dates and packages by a very helpful lady called Louise. She sent me all the information we needed, and we booked the break and Spa treatments through her, all very easy.

Check in was very straightforward, we were allowed in the room early (1pm) and told we could keep it until 4pm the following day, which was an unexpected treat. There was even a birthday card for me :) We've stayed in this hotel before and knew what to expect, and the room didn't disappoint, lovely, clean and comfortable with everything we needed. We were on the 12th floor and had a stunning view of the city. My husband and I both had treatments in ther Sienna spa (pre book as they get busy) which was one of the best hotel spas I've ever been to.

We also used room service for meals, the pool, jacuzzi and steam room, and the Business centre when we needed to use the internet. All the staff we encountered made us feel very welcome, the hotel was stunning and the breakfast is exceptional. I really recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester

Reviewed 13 October 2008

We arrived at the Radisson and was impressed with the room quality which was about 4* standards, I think I would of expected a flat screen LCD but we had a small TV in the corner which wasn't a problem.

We was planning to use the Pool for an hour and noticed that you had to pay £8 according to the booklet left in our room , after calling reception we were told it was free if you were a hotel guest , we also read that breakfast was £15 which we were told was free , a little confusing if I must say.

We arrived at the Spa / Pool and nobody was there to deal with us , we didn't realise that you had to sign in which was another communication issue , the pool was average and I found it strange as no doors had signs on , as I almost walked into the ladies.

The biggest communication breakdown was with Breakfast , we arrived around 9:30am to be seated , we were told that breakfast was not included in our stay even though it was. We were told to sitdown and wait while they sorted it out, After 10 minutes of waiting we had to complain to reception who then told the breakfast manager that it was included, once that was sorted we were told to find our own seat in another part of the hotel which was dark and no tea or coffee was served which was quite poor.

The last thing was with the offers which were given in part of the advantage gold scheme , these are very misleading and have lots of terms which are not printed on the offers, such as £25.00 off anything in the hotel. ( Excluding Products which it didn't say ).

Overall I would rate our stay about 5/10 , for a 5* hotel it has lots of improvements which need to be implemented asap.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CyrusKing
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2008

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comments. The £12 charge for the use of the pool relates to non residents. We have found our Banq & Olufsen's T.V to be very popular. Sorry you did not see the signage in the Health Club. We are suprised at your comments regarding the pool size and are confident that it is larger than most city centre hotels swiimming pools.
Your comments have been noted regarding the explanation of the benefits in the Gold Points Programme,
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel

Reviewed 12 October 2008

Excellent location, parking a little tricky. Drop off your luggage before you park the car as the parking isn't at the hotel but a few mins walk away. Lovely decor, fab view of the city from the room. Lovely cocktails :) in the plush bar

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2008

Spent one night here in order to have dinner with friends.

The room was a reasonable size and well appointed. Although there was a wall of window the room was still quite dark due to dark furnishings.

Standard of housekeeping was good and all staff encountered were professional and friendly.

We would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We are quite fussy when it comes to hotels but we enjoyed every minute of our one nigt stay at the hotel. Check in was fine. Check in staff did make lots of small talk which seemed a little forced (same at check out, come to think of it) but other than that, fairly painless!
Room (8th floor, looking out onto the back, ie GMEX, & convention centre) was great (king deluxe)
Very spacious and modern.
Visited the Spa for a swim/sauna/steam room and very pleasant. Nice ambience and good size pool.
Buffet reakfast was fine. Didnt advertise any 'extras' eg porridge, poached eggs, and no cheese on the buffet so I wouldnt say the best breakfast I've ever had but certainly still very good.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2008

We stayed at the hotel from Friday to Sunday and booked it directly with the hotel as we got the best deal. The check in was unbelievable - very quick and efficient and I did it all whilst my husband was parking the car. I was in the room with the luggage by the time he arrived back at the hotel having been taken there by the person who checked me in. The hotel is very stylish in design. On checking in I asked for a room on a high floor and was given the 10th floor which had a wonderful view over Manchester. The room was of a very good size and beautiful moder decor my only criticism would be that it could do with a few more draws especially if 2 of you were staying for a week.

The service in the hotel was the best I have ever had in the UK and probably in Europe. I needed some scissors and they were brought within 5 minutes and I even left my safe open by mistake and called the hotel and they reset it for me and when I called to get the number to unlock it they knew immediately without my saying what I was calling about.

The bar was very buzzy every night and the drinks though on the expensive side were exceedingly good and the staff very friendly and chatty even though they were busy.

We did not eat in the restaurant but our friends in Manchester said the food is excellent.

The location is fantastic - about an eight minute walk to the shops and the museums are even nearer. The parking was a bit of a pain as you are advised to park in the car park which is a few minutes away.

Have already recommend it to friends who are going to Manchester soon and would not stay anywhere else in Manchester. Cannot understand why it is not higher rated on tripadvisor - it should be!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2008

Really good location, close to all the nightlife and resaurants. The hotel itself is really nice and has a nice bar area and restaurant. the spa was very small but very sylish, and affordable treatments. The rooms were ok, not really to my expectations as there was no plasma t.v wich a hotel of this class really should have, also the radio channels were not tuned in properly! The bed was very soft and the pillows were very soft too and there were no spare ones in the wardrobe. The hairdrier would have been good if i could have got the wire to reach behind my head!!! also the wet room really was wet!! it leaked into the bedroom.
In my opinion try the Hilton!! Much nicer and cheaper!!

Stayed: September 2008
3  Thank marley-moo
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2008

Dear Reviewer
Thank you for your comments. Clearly you had some issues we should have sorted out and we would have done if we had known at the time. We are only a phone call away. If your Bang and Olufsen TV was not in tune it would have been fixed immediately. If you needed extra pillows they are always available. We do not clutter up guests wardrobes with such things, but have butler stores on every floor and housekeeping will respond to any request. Water should not get into the bedroom, again a phone and maintenance would have sorted it out. I hope we will have the opportunity to meet your expectations in the future