“Very disappointed - def not 5*”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 June 2009

We were sorely disappointed with our stay at the Radisson, this really isn't a 5* hotel, and we have stayed in 3*'s that were better. The service on the whole was good, however the rooms leave a lot to be desired. We booked a deluxe room and were disappointed the instant that we got to it. The , Bang & Olufsen entertainment system, which is meant to be a highlight of the room, was in fact just a TV with with the standard movies and music. I at least expected the cd player advertised in the room guide to be there! Toiletries, bed linen (the same as a 3* holiday inn), tea and coffee were all very standard. No luxury just normal or un-branded quality. The shower was also not very powerful and like people have mentioned the wet-room style meant that it soaked the whole bathroom. The room was clean, but for a 5* really you expect much more!

We booked a meal in the restaurant and again were disappointed. The food was a let down for the star grading of the hotel and how it portrays itself on the website. We went for a romantic meal and to begin with we were rushed and then the service just dropped off. I needed to add salt to the starter, and then the main was so salty you could taste it for a good 20 minutes afterwards! The warm dessert was served cold. Although my wife enjoyed most of her meal.

The pool/spa was nice although both the pool and the changing room were small, and be warned they do a lot of Hen do's, so if you hit the pool at the wrong time it's packed. Also unless you book early on a weekend there is no chance of any beauty treatments.

The only plus point really were the staff, who on the whole were very attentive.

We were really looking forward to a well needed 24hr break and decided to go for a bit of 5* luxury however could have saved some money and gone to standard chain hotel or really we should have paid a little more and gone for the real 5* hotel in Manchester, which we will do next time.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelling_bear_9
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2009

Dear Reviewer,

We are most grateful for your feedback, we are sorry to hear that you do not feel our bedrooms are up to our star rating. I can assure the awarding bodies regularly quality assess our product and we have maintained our star rating since the hotel opened in 2004. We of course realize that this matter is very subjective. The Bathrooms have been designed intentionally as “wet rooms”. With a separate vanity area.

We are of course a very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your food at dinner. I would be most grateful if you contact me directly, so that I may obtain the specifics , and take the opportunity to invite you back.

Stephen Miles

Write a ReviewReviews (5,769)

Reviewed 19 June 2009

We were coming into Manchester for a meal for my husbands birthday and thought rather than coming home would stay in Manchester overnight. I first contacted the Hilton on Deansgate and found them very over priced and really unhelpful and as I didn't want to pay nearly £300 in advance for B&B they kept going on about the Hilton at the airport was cheaper, even after I had said that as I live in Hale which is close to the airport I may as well go home rather than stay at a hotel near the airport. This point they just could not get. So I searched the internet and found this one. When our weekend was over I was glad I hadn't gone to the hilton as this hotel was clean and comfortable and every member of staff that we had any dealings with were very helpful and polite especially the conceirge guys doing the parking. Even our breakfast which we ordered to be sent to the room arrived spot on time and still very HOT something that you don't always get. Have stayed in many hotels and often room service breakfast is warm at best. I t even came on it's own table!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2009

Thank you for you comments regarding your recent stay.

"its so much nicer than stayingat the airport"

Reviewed 18 June 2009

We stayed here in May for my birthday treat, and to coincide with the Morrissey gig at the Apollo. The hotel was nice overall - used the spa facilities which were nice and clean but surprisingly small - luckily not many other people were there otherwise it might have been a bit uncomfortable. Had a lovely meal in the Opus restaurant, which I would recommend - lovely food, good service - attentive and friendly but without being too "in your face". Had a few drinks in the bar too, which was a nice place but beware, they add 10% service on without telling you, so if you pay at the bar and leave a tip (as I did) you realise you've already paid 10% - cheeky! Now, the rooms. I have to say I was really disappointed. I have stayed in more impressive 3 star hotels. Don't get me wrong it was OK - but for the price (£135) and for the so-called treat of staying in a 5-star hotel, you expect a whole lot more. Room was a decent size I suppose, but there wasn't anything luxurious about it - bathroom about the same size as ours back home! Another bad point was there wasn't even an i-pod dock or CD player or radio in the room. Very very poor. The TV instructions said there was a CD player built into the TV but our model didn't have this facility. There was a facility to play music via the TV but you had to pay (a lot) for it and the choice was pretty dire (Coldplay??! This hotel used to be the Free Trade Hall for goodness sake!). Also, we only had one tea bag in our tea tray. I had to phone house keeping, who, to be fair, sent up loads very quickly, but the fact that we had to phone them in the first place shows a very worrying lack of attention to detail. I was very disappointed with our room overall. Breakfast was actually quite good - big choice of stuff, but powdered scrambled eggs? - come on! Please sort the problems out, Radisson, as Manchester deserves better and the hotel has the potential to be wonderful but it's just missing the mark, in my opinion.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsHMcr
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2009

Thank you for your comments we are glad to hear you enjoyed our service. One small point i would say, is we only use fresh food through out the hotel, as you would expect.

We are sorry to hear you did not like our rooms, we of course understand this is very much a personal choice. This of course is reimforced by previous reviews.

Reviewed 15 June 2009

Smooth check-in, valet parking expensive at £30 per night, room very comfortable, bathroom basic enough. Hotel is not luxurious as I expected from the Edwardian subbrand.

Bar staff usual dim amateurs - why is this so common in England - only able to handle one transaction at a time.

Room service food excellent. Pay TV/Internet didn't work - engineer offered to move me but was too late for me for the hassle.

Never got my wake up call, thus no time for breakfast, in fairness they agreed to deduct this from my bill.

Concierge helpful and frienfly

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2009

Dear Reviewer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to complete this review regarding your recent stay with us.

Would you be so kind as to contact me directly so that I may personally discuss your comments with you, and make sure our customer satisfaction guarantee is invoked.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2009

We stayed at the Radisson on May 24th because we had tickets for a concert which was supposed to be a special treat for our teenage son. We chose this hotel mainly because of its history (Free Trade Hall), location and good reviews on Tripadvisor.

When we arrived, there was no bed for our son but since it was in the afternoon we expected that this would be arranged later. On our return shortly after midnight, there was still no bed ready. We pulled out the sofa bed only to find that there was no bedding. We called reception and eventually someone came and made our son’s bed.

It was only the next morning that we noticed that they had given our son a duvet WITHOUT a cover, and the duvet had some nasty stains on it. There were no towels for our son either so he had to use our towels. To top it all, the hair dryer did not work properly.

When we checked out, we told the receptionist about the “bed incident”. Her reply was: “I will tell housekeeping about it”. No apology. We did not want to make a big fuss whilst checking out because we did not want to spoil what had been a great weekend in Manchester – especially for our son – but I am truly appalled, so much so that I signed up on Tripadvisor to let other people know about our experience. Something like this has never happened to us before, and I never thought it would happen in a five star hotel which some people describe as the best hotel in Manchester.
The positives: There were two complementary bottles of water in the room. Our son had room service after midnight, which arrived quickly and was nice. We also enjoyed the bar before the concert. The overall impression though is disappointment.
We paid £175 for that room – without breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Golden-Goose-Legend
StephenMiles, General Manager. at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2009

Dear Reviewer.

We are very sorry that your sofa bed was not arranged as requested. We can assure this is not our normal houskeeping standard.

Thank you though for your very kind comments regarding the rest of your stay.

Reviewed 13 June 2009

The Radisson Edwardian is a hotel where anybody and everybody will feel comfortable. The staff are very helpful while also being very professional, and the rooms and lobby are very comfortable and clean. The two restaurants cater to all tastes. This hotel would suit all types of travellers for all types of travel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends

I was very pleasing to read your comments regarding your stay with us.

Reviewed 7 June 2009

Stayed in the Radisson Edwardian based on the reviews on Trip Adviser - which suggested that it was a great hotel. It was clean enough and the room was ok, but certainly nothing special, in fact fairly basic.

The main issue was the quality of the mattress, one of the worst we have slept on - or should that be "tried to sleep on". While we can accept that some people like soft mattresses I am sure no-one likes soft lumpy mattresses where you can feel all of the springs. When we complained in the morning the manager, who was very friendly and helpful, said that we should have said something the night before and they would have moved us to another room - obviously not something we wanted to do in the middle of the night. As compensation she said they would offer us a good deal the next time we stay there together with a complimentary upgrade, but we will not be staying there again.

Another issue was the shower. The showers in this hotel are wet room style, which is fine but as the drain in ours was slightly blocked the water didn't drain away very well and it ended up soaking the rest of the bathroom, including the mat - be warned.....don't leave anything on the floor outside the shower area.

The manager then offered us a complimentary breakfast, which we accepted. Other writers have commented about the poor standard of this and they are spot on, no-one was clearing the tables, the service was miserable, the juice wasn't fresh and the food was bland - not five star.

We have stayed in many, many hotels and this is nothing like a five star hotel, probably an average three star apart from it having leisure facilities............certainly not worth the money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank MidlandsFozzie
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2009

Dear reviewer.

Thank you taking the time to complete a review of your recent stay.

We are sorry that you did not ike our beds or enjoy your breakfast . Would you contact me directly so i can speak to you regarding these matters.
Stephen Miles.