“Telephone Manner disappointing”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #20 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 February 2010

We have stayed at the Radisson while in Manchester and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. So We are in Manchester in April thought I would book the Radisson again. I went on the internet website for a contact telephone number and rang to check availability for one night. The girl that I spoke to was very short on the phone and was obviously a call center not direct to the Reception of the Radisson. After asking me several questions in a cant be bothered attitude I decided to give this one a miss and have booked another hotel with staff on the Reception that were very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank y0rkshire007
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2010

Our in-house Reserevations operate between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, I am disappointed that our Central Reservations did not provide our normal high standard response to your enquiry. I have passed the reviewers comments on to them.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,770)

Reviewed 6 February 2010

After looking around for a hotel in Manchester I came across the Radisson Edwardian, after staying in other Edwardian Hotels within London I decided to stay here. The whole trip was a early surprise Christmas present for my aunt.

After having a pleasant but long journey by train I arrived at the hotel (my auntie didn't have a clue, she thought we were staying at the Premier Inn round the corner) I couldn't wait to check in and have a snooze. Check in was flawless and very quick, staff were very friendly; asked if we needed any help with bags, did we know where we were going and how to operate the lifts.

The room at first looked beautiful, it had everything you would need for a comfortable and relaxing stay. We weren't in the room 10mins when we got a phone call asking if everything was alright, now we had only got in, a little longer would have been better to give time to get settled.

The kettle etc is stored in a drawer under the television, the drawer was rather dirty. Now when you are paying for a 5* hotel you would expect better, it's not something that I wouldn't return for but it was disappointing. As was the TV remote I had to wipe it first before I used it.

On our first night we had drinks in Alto, not a place you want to go if you want a relaxing night, even though there are large comfy sofas it faces reception and although there is a glass partition it does not go fully from ceiling to floor so it can be a little noisy and not very private. Their other bar/restaurant OpusOne is extremely nice, very relaxing and a excellent place to have a bite to eat or have a drink or two.

There does seem to be a bit of confusion regarding debit cards, I have a a Visa Electron and one place said it wasn't accepted then the other did accepted it. I was totally confused. Also we asked just to have drinks added to our room, but were then chased out of the bar asking to pay as he couldn't do that even though we had swiped our credit card on arrival! To top it all on our last day we thought we would have something to eat before we left in Alto, My aunt ordered fish caked and I ordered the Edwardian Burger. Now we were the only people in the restaurant and our order got mixed up. The waiter arrived with the fishcakes and fish and chips. The waiters were very nice and apologised for the problem. I would have understood mix-ups if it was full but we were the only two in the place! I expected a reduction of some sort but when the bill arrived he said all he could do was deduct the service charge which I did think was ridiculous after I had waited well over 15 minutes, they didn't even offer to keep my aunts meal until mine was ready.

After our meal I went to collect our luggage, the lobby was was full of security and hotel staff running about, it was a very uncomfortable and rather scary experience. Nobody was at the concierge desk and I had to ask reception who then shouted on someone. The whole thing was very messy and not what I expected. We could tell that someone important was on their way and the staff seemed to forget about everyone else.

The majority of the staff though are very friendly and rather helpful.

I did contact the hotel to tell them about my experience and they were shocked to hear about it and did offer me to return a persona guest of the management, although I don't know what this means.

Even though there were a few problems that shouldn't have occurred my trip was very pleasant and I am planning to return for my birthday in April.

I would recommend this hotel but please check things and do report them as this is a 5* hotel and certain things aren't acceptable.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank ThePromise27
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2010

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for all of your comments, if you would be kind enough to contact me directly so that I can clarify what our offer included.

Reviewed 3 February 2010

We recently stayed at the Radisson hotel with a client of the firm as the hotel is situated centrally; what we didn't expect is the deafening noise at night time from the bars outside and the music played by other guests. At one point I phoned down to reception and they said they'd send somebody up, they never did as I opened my door anticipating to speak with one of the staff.

The hotel itself is nice, good facilities but very rude, un-knowledgeable staff. Upon returning one night I was ORDERED to show my room card by someone from security on the door who grunted when he saw it. When I asked why he needed to see it he shrugged his shoulders and said something I couldn't understand - his English was very poor. As I went towards the lift lobby I could hear him tutting to his colleague.

The breakfast was late and the tea was cold; I called room service for a replacement. It was late again.

Never again will I stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. A little customer service would have gone a long way.

2  Thank Eddie12London
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2010

I was very concerned to read this feedback, as you can see from previous reviews this is not our normal standard. I would be most grateful if the reviewer would contact me on 0161 835 9929 as I would like to have the opportunity to discuss these specific comments personally. Many thanks.

Reviewed 29 January 2010

Stayed in a spacious mini suite - excellent room with a small terrace. Very comforatble beds, including the sofa bed for our son. Good health club. Good city centre location off Deansgate, near Hilton tower.

1  Thank Shentone
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed here as Simon Cowell and co had checked out. whilst there we saw the hairy bikers (if youre into your food youll know who i mean). we loved everyhting about this weekend which was booked as a treat four ourselves and two friends. the staff were courteous and polite, friendly and helpful. myself and my friend had our nails done by Beverley and she was fantastic and did a brilliant job. we ordered champagne to our rooms and even room service was excellent. the girl who booked us in (im sorry i didnt get your name, but she spoke with a liverpudlian accent) was so welcoming and helpful and she was right our rooms did have a fantastic view of the city.
the breakfast the next day was gorgeous and the bacon was spot on, being thick and perfectly cooked.

the room was fantastic, the walk in shower was a joy and our mattress was more than comfortable. (some people will moan at anyhting).

all in all we loved our stay here and only wish we could go back again and again and again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank paulasuhawk
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2010

Thank you for this excellent feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back agin soon

Reviewed 26 January 2010

Stayed there on a trip to Liverpool and Manchester. Got a twin room instead of a double as the hotel was full. Rooms are of good standard, but I was a bit disappointed as I expected more of the Edwardian than the standard Radisson Blu hotels. In the end the standard is quite similar.

The location of the hotel is great with a short walk to the city centre and next to a decent sized cinema.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MelwinLondon
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2010

Thank you for all of this feedbak, I found your comments very interesting. Some 3rd party booking websites do not guarantee a double bed, perhaps the reservation was made through one of these.

Reviewed 24 January 2010

Great Hotel overall, rooms were very nice spacious and clean, staff attentaive aside from the two young lads on one of the nights. Alex I think you need a litle customer service skills guy. Otherwise a nice hotel.

1  Thank Karedsim
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2010

Thank you for you feedback and constructive comments. I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss the attitude of our bar staff so that I can address this situation. We don't have member of staff by this name.

Kind regards