“Comfortable, stylish and excellent food”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I was travelling with my wife and son to celebrate his 21st birthday and had previously had a drink in the bar when last in Manchester. From the check in to check out our experience was very good - the rooms were very comfortable, the food excellent both for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2010

We are delighted that you enjoyed your son's 21st birthday celebration, many thanks for taking the time to post this feedback

Write a ReviewReviews (5,845)

Reviewed 19 February 2010

Recently stayed at the hotel in room 910 and I was impressed by the size of the room and the bathroom. It came with a shower and tub.

The bed was very soft which was probably my only criticism, but overal I found the room to be clean and spacious.

The hotel has good facilities for people wishing to stay in the hotel and if I was going to stay again I would like to use the spa.

In terms of location it is very central and an easy walk to all the shops, bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Thank you for all of your comments, we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon

Reviewed 15 February 2010

We stayed at the hotel for two nights during a conference. The staff where extremely helpful and all my requests were handled quickly and efficiently. My stay was a real pleasure and I would definately recommend this hotel

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2010

Thank you for this positive feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed 9 February 2010

I don't intend rambling, I'm writing this only because I've seen other travellers have similar experiences. I thought that maybe I'd been unlucky to encounter the 'bad apples'.

The security if that's who they are are attrocious, the stopped me from going inside with one friend who was staying at the Midland down the road into my room. We didn't intend going to the bar or otherwise inconveniencing the hotel only up to my room.

If that's an official policy then I disagree with it but would have liked to have been told politely - not with expletives and attitude "don't you [--] understand"

You couldn't make it up.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank downtowntraveller

I would like to reassure the reviewer that this incident has been taken very seriously and addressed accordingly. Please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 8 February 2010

We have stayed at the Radisson while in Manchester and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. So We are in Manchester in April thought I would book the Radisson again. I went on the internet website for a contact telephone number and rang to check availability for one night. The girl that I spoke to was very short on the phone and was obviously a call center not direct to the Reception of the Radisson. After asking me several questions in a cant be bothered attitude I decided to give this one a miss and have booked another hotel with staff on the Reception that were very helpful.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank y0rkshire007
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2010

Our in-house Reserevations operate between 8am and 7pm Monday to Friday, I am disappointed that our Central Reservations did not provide our normal high standard response to your enquiry. I have passed the reviewers comments on to them.

Reviewed 6 February 2010

After looking around for a hotel in Manchester I came across the Radisson Edwardian, after staying in other Edwardian Hotels within London I decided to stay here. The whole trip was a early surprise Christmas present for my aunt.

After having a pleasant but long journey by train I arrived at the hotel (my auntie didn't have a clue, she thought we were staying at the Premier Inn round the corner) I couldn't wait to check in and have a snooze. Check in was flawless and very quick, staff were very friendly; asked if we needed any help with bags, did we know where we were going and how to operate the lifts.

The room at first looked beautiful, it had everything you would need for a comfortable and relaxing stay. We weren't in the room 10mins when we got a phone call asking if everything was alright, now we had only got in, a little longer would have been better to give time to get settled.

The kettle etc is stored in a drawer under the television, the drawer was rather dirty. Now when you are paying for a 5* hotel you would expect better, it's not something that I wouldn't return for but it was disappointing. As was the TV remote I had to wipe it first before I used it.

On our first night we had drinks in Alto, not a place you want to go if you want a relaxing night, even though there are large comfy sofas it faces reception and although there is a glass partition it does not go fully from ceiling to floor so it can be a little noisy and not very private. Their other bar/restaurant OpusOne is extremely nice, very relaxing and a excellent place to have a bite to eat or have a drink or two.

There does seem to be a bit of confusion regarding debit cards, I have a a Visa Electron and one place said it wasn't accepted then the other did accepted it. I was totally confused. Also we asked just to have drinks added to our room, but were then chased out of the bar asking to pay as he couldn't do that even though we had swiped our credit card on arrival! To top it all on our last day we thought we would have something to eat before we left in Alto, My aunt ordered fish caked and I ordered the Edwardian Burger. Now we were the only people in the restaurant and our order got mixed up. The waiter arrived with the fishcakes and fish and chips. The waiters were very nice and apologised for the problem. I would have understood mix-ups if it was full but we were the only two in the place! I expected a reduction of some sort but when the bill arrived he said all he could do was deduct the service charge which I did think was ridiculous after I had waited well over 15 minutes, they didn't even offer to keep my aunts meal until mine was ready.

After our meal I went to collect our luggage, the lobby was was full of security and hotel staff running about, it was a very uncomfortable and rather scary experience. Nobody was at the concierge desk and I had to ask reception who then shouted on someone. The whole thing was very messy and not what I expected. We could tell that someone important was on their way and the staff seemed to forget about everyone else.

The majority of the staff though are very friendly and rather helpful.

I did contact the hotel to tell them about my experience and they were shocked to hear about it and did offer me to return a persona guest of the management, although I don't know what this means.

Even though there were a few problems that shouldn't have occurred my trip was very pleasant and I am planning to return for my birthday in April.

I would recommend this hotel but please check things and do report them as this is a 5* hotel and certain things aren't acceptable.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank ThePromise27
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2010

Dear Reviewer

Thank you for all of your comments, if you would be kind enough to contact me directly so that I can clarify what our offer included.

Reviewed 3 February 2010

We recently stayed at the Radisson hotel with a client of the firm as the hotel is situated centrally; what we didn't expect is the deafening noise at night time from the bars outside and the music played by other guests. At one point I phoned down to reception and they said they'd send somebody up, they never did as I opened my door anticipating to speak with one of the staff.

The hotel itself is nice, good facilities but very rude, un-knowledgeable staff. Upon returning one night I was ORDERED to show my room card by someone from security on the door who grunted when he saw it. When I asked why he needed to see it he shrugged his shoulders and said something I couldn't understand - his English was very poor. As I went towards the lift lobby I could hear him tutting to his colleague.

The breakfast was late and the tea was cold; I called room service for a replacement. It was late again.

Never again will I stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. A little customer service would have gone a long way.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Eddie12London
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2010

I was very concerned to read this feedback, as you can see from previous reviews this is not our normal standard. I would be most grateful if the reviewer would contact me on 0161 835 9929 as I would like to have the opportunity to discuss these specific comments personally. Many thanks.