“Over-promises and under-delivers”

Ranked #17 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Over-promises and under-delivers”
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I have stayed at this hotel and, indeed, reviewed it before on TripAdvisor. My comments then were largely positive, although I did observe some service failings. My stay this time was on a Saturday, as opposed to midweek, and I have to say that I was left with a very poor impression of the hotel and would recommend that people try other hotels of similar quality in the area.

Location:

Very accessible -close to Metro stop -about 2 minute walk, and located in walking distance of Selfridges, Deansgate Locks (nightlife), what was GMEX, and other city centre attractions.

Check in
We arrived at this hotel at about 1:30 on Saturday afternoon. I have booked two rooms, both at £90+VAT room only for one night. I had specifically requested rooms "away from elevators", as I had recalled a degree of corridor noise on my previous stay, so I wanted a room towards the end of the corridor to avoid doors banging and the usual foot traffic which is inevitable in any hotel. The reception area was fairly busy, and I had to wait about 10 minutes before I was served by one of the two people manning the desk. In my view, there should be more than two reception staff on duty on a Saturday afternoon. However, the lady who checked me in apologised for the delay, was efficient and friendly. I was very impressed with the quality of the service this particular lady provided -she also checked me out and was again both efficient and friendly. I was also impressed that both of our rooms were ready at this time, which is before the published check in time.

On arriving at my room, I found it to be adjacent to the elevator! Whilst I appreciate that requests cannot be guaranteed, I don't expect a room actually next to the lift, when specifically requesting to have a room away from the lift in advance of check in. I also accept that a room further away may not have been turned around by my check in time, however, there was no comment or acknowledgement of my request upon check in. I also accept that I have a tongue in my head and could quite easily have gone back down to reception, queued up again etc and asked to be moved, I decided to stick with the room I was given.

Room:
the room faced the lobby (inward facing -no outside view), was a fair size, had a very stylish bathroom which had a separate shower and bath, and a distinct "wet" zone. The room also had a (small) B&O satellite TV, minibar, and all the amenities one would expect of a 5* hotel. It also had individually controlled a/c which I found to be unusually responsive for a hotel a/c system -a positive.

Food and Beverage:
I didn't dine in the hotel on this occasion, but did visit a bar -the bar to the left of reception. I had to walk over to the bar to order and on getting five drinks for my party, I asked for a tray and ended up carrying the tray across the bar to the table. I don't mind doing this, of course, but there was no one else in the bar....so I felt it was a bit strange that no offer of help was forthcoming. Anyway, I have hands so carrying a tray isn't a big deal, but again, I wouldn't expect this from a 5* property.

Sleep!
We returned to the hotel at about half past twelve and went straight to bed. Unfortunately neither me nor my partner were able to get any sleep until after 3AM due, not to corridor traffic (so being close to the lift was no problem) but due to the noise coming from what I can only describe as a disco which was taking place, I assume, in a ballroom. This music was not just background, but I was actually able to use Shazam on my iPod to identify one of the songs playing -I'm sorry, but this isn['t acceptable in a travelodge let alone a 5* Radisson. The following morning, I was awoken, as expected, by foot traffic in the corridor. I can forgive this, however, as you inevitably get noise in a hotel and you have to deal with it.

Check out
Again, on a Sunday at 11 there was a short queue, but the check out was smooth. I did mention the noise to the agent, who apologised and promised to note it on my profile. I would actually have asked to speak with the Duty Manager, but we had to get to a lunch appointment (I know that sounds really pretentious, but we really did), and then had a train booked so didn't have time. After checking out we walked over to the concierge desk and I asked a gentleman standing behind the desk if it would be possible to store the bags somewhere. His initial response, after initially looking right through me, was to tell me that the hotel only offered luggage storage to guests. I then said I was a guest to which he replied, "sorry?" I explained I had just checked out and pulled out my room card -he then did store the luggage, but this was a bit of an odd experience, and I can only assume that either there was a misunderstanding or that he didn't consider us dressed appropriately to be a guest within the hotel. I feel, and I obviously have no way of proving this, that it was the latter.

Feedback
I was sent an automated email from Radisson asking me to fill in the guest questionnaire, which I did. I was very very surprised to receive a call two days later from the hotel to apologise. I explained the situation to the gentleman who listened patiently and offered me the chance to come back and stay again at a rate. He promised to e-mail through details of the offer. I was impressed by this effort at service recovery -I know things can, at times go wrong, and was pleased that the hotel recognised that they had lost a guest and were proactively seeking to resolve the situation amicably. I am now even more annoyed with the hotel because they haven't sent me this offer through. So yet again, they have, in my view, promised something and not delivered.

Verdict:
Ok, I didn't get food poisoning and there weren't bed bugs, but at a thousand points this hotel demonstrates that it is not five star quality. The fact that the service is constantly failing, that noise is so routine it is dismissed off hand, the fact that the hotel seems not to care that someone who has stayed there before and visits Manchester fairly regularly is dis-satisfied all lead me to the conclusion that this hotel doesn't have the refinement or finesse expected of a true 5*.

It's fine, but there are better 4* hotels -such as the Crowne Plaza CityCentre or the Lowry (which is more expensive but a true 5*)
Thanks for reading this far.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank travelfan199
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 19 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide all of this feedback. Firstly I would like to apologise for our apparent lack of response to your original comments. As you will see from previous reviews this is certainly not our normal standard. I am most keen to discuss all of these issues with the reviewer personally if they would be kind enough to contact me directly. I look forward to having the opportunity to restore your faith and welcome you back again in the very near future.
Kind regards
Stephen Miles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
donny
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Stayed here for one night after a couple nights in the lakes. We paid the £30 for them to park the car overnight for us,. From check in to check out our stay here we really enjoyed. we stayed in 1220 on the 12th floor, a fantastic view over manchester just like we'd requested in our email. You've got to use the spa its fab. Conciege here deserve a special mention. i think these guys are the best in the country! Don,t look around just book this one you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank billybillyjohnjohn
StephenMiles, Stephen Miles at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 9 March 2010
This feeback is really valuable to us, thank you for all of these great comments
Alsager Cheshire
Reviewed 7 March 2010

Overnight stop at the Radisson while we attended a function at the Midland nearby. The Radisson was a good all round choice.The staff were attentive and the room was clean, with a modern decor and some nice touches. Therewas a wide choice of breakfast options.The hotel is within a short walk of the main shopping area ans i close to bars,retsaurants,clubs , cinema, car parks etc etc

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Duisbrug
Reviewed 7 March 2010

perfect service, perfect ambiente, perfect breakfast - best price for 5 stars. no british standard, since rooms are large and spacious. only deduction: no parking facility.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 8 March 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide this very positive feedback. Due to our city centre location we do not have our own car park although we do offer a pre-bookable valet parking service at the nearby NCP.
Sedgwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Difficult to fault this hotel. Well-appointed room, spotlessly clean. Good quality food. Attentive and efficient staff who are obviously achieving high standards I was most impressed by the attention to little details - for example someone tidied my room and shut the curtains whilst I was out having dinner... more than met my expecations and would stay there again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 1 March 2010
Thank you for this very kind feedback, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay
silverstone
Reviewed 22 February 2010

I was a bit concerned after reading some earlier reviews but I have to say the staff were really friendly and helpful, not at all snooty. The rooms were lovely and the bed very comfortable. Our room was extremely quiet, we were at the back of the hotel so couldn't hear the traffic.

The bar was really cool but VERY pricey, we popped next door as our 2 drinks worked out at £10 cheaper! Breakfast was good but don't pay £17.50 as they will lower the price, we paid £9.50. The spa was a bit of a joke, tiny pool, tiny jacuzzi and about 3 sunbeds so don't go thinking it's a great place to chill out, it's not.

Overall though a beautiful hotel, good service and the people of Manchester were so friendly!

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rosiefSilverstone
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 12 March 2010
Thank you for all of your feedback and in particular the very kind comment regarding members of our team.
For sake of clarification we have achieved the necessary standards for accreditation of 5 star status, however we fully appreciate that individual tases do differ.
West Sussex
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I was travelling with my wife and son to celebrate his 21st birthday and had previously had a drink in the bar when last in Manchester. From the check in to check out our experience was very good - the rooms were very comfortable, the food excellent both for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
StephenMiles, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester, responded to this review, 23 February 2010
We are delighted that you enjoyed your son's 21st birthday celebration, many thanks for taking the time to post this feedback