“Disappointed”

Manchester Music Tours
Ranked #5 of 32 Tours in Manchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Music themed guided tours around Manchester that include walking, driving, scheduled, private bespoke, bus tours, general and band/genre specific tours, such as; The Smiths/Morrissey, Joy Division, The Hollies, Oasis, Factory Records, Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses, tours led by Inspiral Carpets drummer and Manchester Music veteran Craig Gill.
Detroit, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Was really looking forward to having a private tour of Manchester for months. Craig said he was going to pick us up for the tour. Apparently he arrived before we did and left shortly thereafter. He never responded to phone calls, texts, emails, tweets, anything we could think of. Waste of a trip and a lot of money.

Visited June 2014
6 Thank danielxjay
Craig G, Owner at Manchester Music Tours, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Amy,

You emailed me the morning of the tour asking to be picked up at 12.30 pm (an hour earlier than had been previously been arranged). I replied to confirm.

I was at Piccadilly Station at 12.30 pm as you requested.

I then emailed you giving my exact location.

I left the station at 1.10 pm after waiting 40 minutes for you to arrive.

A later message was received at 2.42 pm which claimed of train delays, after recently looking at train timetables, I noted your train (without delays) was not due into Manchester until 1.10 pm, why then was I asked to pick you up at 12.30 pm? When quizzed about this you have tried to confuse the issue by saying you thought 12.30 was a meeting time and 1.30 was the start time?

The only mistake I made was that I never took your mobile number when booking, I normally do, however you had my mobile number on all correspondence, why did you not try ring me earlier, surely it must have been apparent that you had given me the wrong information before I left the station and was then driving home unable to take calls.

Apart from the other two negative reviews from your group, they are all flawless, proving there aren't usually any such issues with pick up's.

I am also sorry and disapointed that the tour did not go ahead as planned, but you have to accept some responsibility, the point remains that had you not changed the original plans from 1.30 to 12.30 that you would have been able to get to the correct meeting place in plenty of time, you should have pre-warned me of any delays or incorrect information given, the tour would have then gone ahead as planned.

I have offered a full refund for the price of the tour.

Kind regards,
Craig Gill

Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Smiths Tour 31st May 2014”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is something I've been wanting to do for years and years, having read the excellent Morrissey's Manchester tour book in the past. If you're a fan of The Smiths, you absolutely have to do this tour when you visit Manchester-it's the only reason I made the trip but I built plenty of other stuff around it.

I won't spoil any of the surprises of the tour but, as others have said, the Salford Lads Club is worth the money alone. An inspirational story behind the building and the now renowned Smiths Room can keep you occupied for hours.

Craig is a fantastic guide - funny, friendly, down-to-earth and happy to chat about any Manchester music you decide to bring into conversation. The fact he was part of the 'Madchester' scene of the early 90's means his anecdotes carry more resonance. He was just as friendly in advance when I said I was travelling up on a Friday and could he recommend any good 'Manchester' music bars. He gave three recommendations, one of which had their monthly 'Forever Manchester' night, which was simply awesome.

I'm going to come back and do the Oasis tour in a couple of months time and will probably do the Roses and Joy Division tours in the future too. The experience was fantastic, I can't recommend it enough.

1 Thank Paul B
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant Oasis Tour”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This tour is a must if you are a fan of anything Gallagher related. Craig is a musician who knows the Gallaghers personally therefore it was genuine. He is an understated guy who does a very good job of telling you what you want to know. A comfortable Minibus, good length tour and very highly recommended.

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you're a Manchester music fan, do this now!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I'm not much of a tour person. I only like to take them if it's too difficult to get around as an independent traveler OR if I can see the place through my own lens. I've been a Smiths fan since the 80s, so seeing Manchester - and the places mentioned in the songs - through this lens was a perfect way to see a slice of the city. You do spend a lot of time at the Salford Lads Club, so if you're not a hardcore fan, it may get boring. But, if you're a devotee, it will be one of the highlights of your trip.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Smiths/Mozza tour”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic tour of the best music city in the world with a guy who is part of the scene and knows it inside out. The Salford Lads a Club is an absolute credit to those who created it and have run it for over 100 years. And to have been taken around a town I know well but had it brought alive to the lyrics of the genius that is Morrisey was inspiring. I will definitely be doing the rest of Craig's tours.