“Great for lunch or a city-centre snack”

Slice Pizza & Bread Bar
Ranked #318 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I buy pizza from Slice fairly regularly and I recommend the food here highly. It's great to finally have a place in the city centre that offers pizza by the slice. My favourite by far is the broccoli and chilli pizza, but there are plenty of other tasty regulars and specials to choose from. I haven't tried the calzones yet (sweet or savoury). The toppings are tasty and imaginative and cater for meat-eaters, vegetarians and vegans. The business owners clearly care about making great food, baking the dough in a special oven and using high-quality ingredients. They offer a few soft and alcoholic drinks, Coca Cola from glass bottles, which is always a treat. Service is good and speedy, but I'd like them to offer black pepper when they bring the pizza to your table or have some pepper available on the tables themselves. (There are various sauces available on the counter). There is no cutlery available; pizza here is finger food - as it should be!

The place sadly lacks atmosphere and it has often been very quiet when I've come here. I don't think the interior helps. It's curiously long and thin and it can feel a bit dark if you sit towards the back. I don't think the music they play helps either; it's English-language chart pop (from a radio station I think?) which matches neither the Italian authenticity the owners strive for nor the vibe of the Northern Quarter, where it is based. However, for eating outside when the weather is nice or just picking up some pizza to take away, this place is great.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Authentic Roman(esque) pizza.

It always seems to be quiet but I've not got a clue why. The pizza bases are exceptional and toppings are fresh. My last slice was arrebieta which was a wee bit spicy and adorned with fresh tomato and rocket.

Ok, I've eaten better pizza in Tuscany and I think you can't beat a wood burning pizza oven for taste but as a small cafe, the quality is excellent. No complaints and staff friendly/chatty too.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Popped in for a quick bite on a Friday lunch time and what a lovely surprise! Being of Italian parentage but based in the UK I often miss the regular visits to the local rosticceria (pizza shop), and this place is a great substitute. Service with a smile, authentic and super tasty pizza slices with an authentic selection of drinks available plus the obligatory seats outside (sadly it's looking over roadworks than a beautiful village) and a mouth-watering array of ice creams. If you're looking for proper Italian pizza in Manchester, you won't get better than Slice. A couple of points to note: 1) prices are a little expensive (£2.00-3.00 per slice when an Italian equivalent would be 1.5€) but I suppose this is city centre Manchester, and 2) the blaring pop music is a little off-putting, perhaps some laid back house/easy listening/classical would lend itself better to the Italian theme? Other than that this is a great little place- try a slice (or 2!), you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and my four year old found this place and kept telling me about it so I put off the diet for some pizza and ice cream . The lovely people now recognise my little one which he loves. He thinks they are there just to make him his lunch !!

I had potato and truffle pizza .... It was amazing ...I went back for seconds. We also had key lime pie icecream , bubble gum ice cream and banana. Much better than your haagen daz and ben and jerrys.

We sat outside and soaked up the nice buzz of the northern quarter ...best place for people watching too .

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We have visited Slice several times since it opened, the location is great and there is an area of outdoor seating.

Recently we visited and sat outside to bask in the glorious sunshine, the outdoor seating are is quite a sun trap.

The pizza is delicious and the base is better than any other pizza base i've eaten in Manchester.

I would strongly recommend it to friends!