“Never disappoints”

Cuisines: Korean
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Never disappoints”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Lunchtime today was probably the twelth time I have visited Baekdu and the second time this week. On Monday I had the pajeon (seafood pancake) followed by the chicken dolsot bibimbap and today I had just the yuk-hoe (raw beef, with raw egg yolk seasoned over sliced pear) as I was having lunch alone, and although it is in the starters section, it is big enough as a meal for one. All three were fantastic as usual. The decor isn't an issue as the seats are comfortable and the tables are clean. Perhaps the only downside is it could be seen as a little expensive (the green pear juice drink was tiny but cost c.£2), but the portion sizes are very good and the food always tastes and looks fresh.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank DJLamatage

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Korean food at its best”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

A very good friend of mine lives in Korea and on her last day in Manchester while I was at work she told me she tried Baekdu and it was amazing.

So I thought to go check it out myself and man, this place is truly great! I went twice so far, the first time I was with a friend and we ordered a big selection of various food from the menu: the fried meat dumplings, the potato pancake and the mixed tempura from the starters, the Jabche from the noodle dishes section and the Kimchi bokkeumbap from the rice dishes selection. We got happier and happier with every dish that was served, everything tasted amazing, we were very full after the meal!

The second time I was alone, and for a change I ordered the Nokdu Bindaeddeok pancake and the Yaki Soba noodle with seafood. I have to say the noodles were alright, but the Nokdu conquered me after the first bite, I basically dream about it in my sleep now! It's an amazing kind of pancake, crispy on the outside and melt in the mouth on the inside, with mung beans, pork and kimchi. I could have eaten it all day long, as I write this I am already craving some more!

The inside is not pretentious at all, it looks more like a school cafeteria, the kitchen is "open" in the sense that you can see the chefs cooking, and the waitress is also the owner, I believe. Very friendly and discreet.

I loved the fact that a lot of Korean-Asian people eat there on a regular basis, it sure means it's good, authentic food! If you love Asian food but are tired of the usual Chinese, then try this, you will not be disappointed!

Not the cheapest place I've had a solo lunch at, but very satisfying for sure!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Gabster1987
Worthing, United Kingdom
“Great food and excellent value for money”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We were staying at the Premier Apartments in Manchester, directly opposite Baekdu, we love Asian food, but are always disappointed by Chinese restaurants these days. Food covered in bright coloured slime and always feeling ill a few hours after eating! Not to at Baekdu, the food is fresh, no horrendous additives, and the service is simple and friendly. We hadn't eaten true Korean food before, so needed some guidance with the menu; our waitress was very helpful and we had a really tasty meal.
We wanted to return the following evening, but the place was packed unsurprisingly, so sadly we had to fin find an alternative.
I would highly recommend eating here, just sad we don't have something similar where we live.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Chuckles001
Salford,
“great food, service and prices”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The four of us found Baekdu to be a really enjoyable experience. The waitress was really helpful with the many questions we had about the menu and recommended a couple of things. Prices were extrememly reasonable and the food really good, we also tried the Korean beer which we again enjoyed finding it nice and light.
We will defintely be returning.
Many thanks Baekdu!!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank JanJim17
Manchester, England
“Small, informal, but great Korean food”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I'd like to first add that some of the bad reviews about decor and such, while some others might prefer each restaurant they visit to be professional decorated, I personally don't mind,and the restaurant has a 5* rating from the Food Standards Agency - so no problems there.

The restaurant is small,and informal. They are clearly understaffed with just the owner lady tending to everybody. However the food is great, you can see the chefs cooking it from behind the counter. You get decent portions for the price you pay. No it's not the cheapest place but there aren't many Korean places in Manchester to choose from.

You will notice a lot of other Chinese/Koreans coming through the door here too - obviously a good sign!

My last visit was today, however been on 2 other occasions. Never any problems.

• Visited February 2014