“Delicious food in the main.”
Review of Almost Famous

Almost Famous
Ranked #148 of 2,272 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Delicious food in the main.”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I like the décor and atmosphere in Almost Famous, it feels right (relaxed, informal but still fun). Ordering drinks at the bar was fine and actually the staff behind the bar were helpful and friendly. Our table of 7 had our order taken fairly quickly and the waitress answered a few questions we had about the menu. I ordered the "Triple Nom" which was delicious, the pulled pork was great as was the crunch of coleslaw. Everyone else thoroughly enjoyed their burgers and wings. The only problem was the fries, I ordered "True Romance" which was incredibly salty and absolutely drenched in "suicide" hot sauce. I appreciate that the hot sauce is on the menu but these fries were literally swimming in it. Despite this everything else was great and we really enjoyed the meal.

• Arabic first
  • Polish first
“All round amazing”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We arrived for our first time at the restaurant and were greeted with a warm welcoming by the lovely members of the team. I thought the food was going to be over rated but it was amazing, well and truly lived up to expectations! Very filling and at a good price, would highly recommend! Make sure to get the bacon bacon fries!

Oldham, United Kingdom
“I prefer cow to unicorn”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have been waiting ages to go to Almost Famous and finally managed it at the weekend.

Id read that we might have to wait but thankfully as it was fairly average Sunday we got seated by the friendly hostess straight away. She explained how everything worked and left us to choose our food.

The not booking thing is a bit annoying I suppose but its probably part of some business model or other

I have read that some people have found it hard to order or are confused by the menu. I'm not sure why its the same as on the website and its all printed out on this miracle substance known as paper which on the table. So we chose then ordered at the bar which I like personally- saves waiting for the bill when you have finished. no waiting for the card machine or what ever.

As for ordering at the bar I'm in a burger joint not a Michelin starred restaurant I don't expect silver service. I don't even mind grabbing a knife and fork and kitchen roll or some suicide sauce or what ever. To be honest I wish more places had this kind of ordering model but that's a rant for another day.

Food arrived hot and in decent time Served in plastic baskets which for some reason has people up in arms. Its fine its works it does what it needs to. Allow cheery friendly serving person (see the theme here?) to deliver our food.

Burgers were really tasty and flavoursome the actual burgers I have seen compared to McDonalds which is a bit harsh but I know where these comments are coming from they aren't the thickest patty you will ever see but they were good. Add to that flavours of chilli, cheese, bacon and sauces and your onto a winner on that note don't be put off by the suicide sauce its only mildly hot.

We also got some bacon bacon fries - amazing. When our food arrived we actually thought we could have managed a portion each but as time went on we got fuller. I think the OTT seasoning on the fries eventually did me in but I enjoyed them.

We pushed the boat out and shared an ice cream which was a bit disappointing came in a really small jam jar and lacked the overkill chocolate sauce I was hoping for. I felt it was a bit over priced at a £5 a proper sundae glass might have improved presentation a bit.

Cocktails seemed a bit steep about £7 and again some went out in really small looking glasses others slightly bigger.

But all in all very happy. 2 burgers 1 fries and 2 soft drinks was about £24 I think which is average city centre price and an ice cream and extra 5. Burgers and great. Ice cream so so. Décor is just odd - funnily enough im having a burger not entering my house on changing rooms, music level was fine, staff were good, The lighting upstairs near the toilets is bloody awful but other than that I cant complain

would go again (hopefully soon) and would recommend

1 Thank bluehobbit
“Just food”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

The price is ok (£9 for basic burger and fries) but the place is full of desperate hipsters. They give you a roll of kitchen roll instead of napkins, they don't have normal fries only sweet potato and they don't have normal condiments only fancy sauces. All of which would be fine if it was blow your socks off amazing food. But it was 'just food'. I've eaten at The Diner in soho which has a similar serving style but the food is much better and the vibe of the place is much nicer. Boozy milkshakes weren't on. All in all the most pretentious, badly lit, place I have ever eaten.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Almost Famous - Note the ALMOST”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Firstly, I went here due to all the hype surrounding the place - with many friends stating its "the best burger joint in town - if not the UK.

I'm not sure what they were trying to pull off with the decor, but it was very "unique". It was very dark inside, somewhat difficult to see what you were going to eat. We were served very quickly, they had a very nice text system in place while we waited. After being shown to our seats we quickly ordered. The food came out in record time, worryingly the burgers were very dry, suggesting that they'd already been pre-cooked and just heated up. The food was lovely, however I would put it on par with a Weatherspoon's burger - nothing to write home about. However, a major criticism, they seems to like BBQ sauce, they poured it on everything - which made it a very messy and intensely BBQ affair.

Overall, will I go back? No, over priced for what you get. Sadly I think Almost Famous has buckled under its own popularity and become too main stream. Bring back the old NQ vibe!