“Best burgers in town by a long chalk”
Review of Almost Famous

Almost Famous
Ranked #128 of 2,398 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2014

For me, nothing beats a good burger. When it comes to the expression, "why have burgers when you have steak at home." Well, whoever coined that expression never ate burgers from 'Almost famous.' Nor we're they in fact actually talking about burgers, but that's besides the point.

Here there is a bit or a theme of Hollyweird gone bad, with numerous cult references to various movies and nods to counter culture, of which their burgers, side orders and cocktails are named after.

It's not exactly romantic but for what it lacks in sophistication it more than makes up in a decent helping of delicious soul food for the brain. I ordered the River Phoenix burger which was cooked perfectly and disgustingly delish and spicy mixed sweet potatoes and regular fries. There's a real earthy, cantina feel to the place which rocks Americana from the food to the core of the establishment. It's not for everyone, but I really loved the ambience which resonated good vibes and good food. Contrary to other peoples experience, we were served really quick.

Definitely one to try once.

1  Thank geckofabulous
Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I'd heard all the rumours and wanted to try out this new, trendy burger bar for myself. I'd heard it was pricey but I don't mind paying a little extra for a 'unique dining experience' as almost famous is being billed. Upon arrival I couldn't help but think that the (very pretty) girl at the door wasn't hired for her customer service skill. She rudely advised us it would be 30 mins for a table then started talking to her friend at the side, leaving us stood there for a good few minutes wondering if we had just secured a table or not as she hadn't taken any details. After interrupting her gossip (how rude of us) to find out if we were ok to proceed to the bar she took our details and said we would get a text when the table was ready. Once the text came through we reported back to the girl who then barked 'wait here' and gestured to a spot just behind her, we were then ushered to a table. The restaurant has an eclectic/cool vibe and I can't deny the meal was tasty. But the staff at the bar were very slow and I don't expect to have to order at the bar and get my own cutlery when I'm paying £10 for a burger (chips are separate and range from £2 - £5 dependent on toppings). I got the feeling that almost famous don't feel the need to try because they're cool enough to survive on reputation alone. I for one won't be returning. Good food, excellent concept, terrible execution.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

It was my first visit here and we had to wait for 40 mins to get a table. We waited and was shown to the bar, drinks are amazing but not cheap! (worth it though). We was then seated and our order took quickly. I had wings to start, very messy and only ok on the taste side. I need a napkin as there was none on the table. To my horror I was handed KITCHEN ROLL. Shortly after our mains came burger looked amazing but again tasted just ok. My actual burger itself had no taste what so ever. Time came for the bill i was shocked at the price for average burgers, average service and no napkin. To be honest if you like burgers go to Byron, best burgers in town, friendliest staff too.

1  Thank Jenny H
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Met a friend for lunch there after being recommended about their burgers 'being one of the best in Manchester'. Hugely disappointing, loved the idea, their own beer, and love the sound of the burgers. I found the burgers themselves tasteless, my friend had chilli on theirs and it was bland. When you expect a burger you want to feel full and hate yourself afterwards, but we didn't. I like the concept, but the execution wasn't good. Would rather a good sized burger with not the need for all extra ingredients on than a very bland burger with lots of ingredients on (which were tasty).

Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Perfect for foodies who love them dirtyly potent and sinful burgers. All the burgers in the menu, even the sides, had great potent descriptions. I think about it all the time... Everything was layer upon layer drenched with incredible sinfulness sprinkled with awesomeness.Tip: press the burger down, that makes it easier to eat because it comes pretty tall. The decor is lively and trendy. Not exactly for occasions.. More like a laid back casual burger night kind of thing. One of the best burgers joints I've been to. The staff managing the tables are pretty friendly, nothing like the stuck up/uptight staff in burger & lobster London. Definitely first on my list when visiting manchester. We need it in London!