“Ok but overpriced”
Review of Granada Studios

Granada Studios
Ranked #11 of 193 things to do in Manchester
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Visited Coronation Street tour with family ( x2 adults plus 15 & 11 yr olds) today. Pre booked tickets say to arrive 30mins before tour time but this is really not necessary. Just a highly overpriced cafe to wait in with a video loop showing programme aired earlier in the year about move to new media city location. For those who visited the Granada Studios tour in the 90's, please do not expect anything like the same experience this time. This is purely based on Coronation St with a short guided tour
of the internal sets followed by a look around the exterior street. We were unlucky to have a really annoying tour guide (12:40 tour) who was way over the top with his presentation style and rather patronising at times. The tour does feel very rushed and the presentation they give is very scripted and a bit " cheap Disney" by want to be actors! Nevertheless we generally enjoyed the 1.5hr although a family rate of £13.50 per person is a bit steep for what you get to see. A real shame the street will be pulled down later in the year - a very good case for a preservation order I think ! Tip: park for £4.50 for full day in Museum of science and industry which is straight behind granada studios.

4  Thank MarshallsDoncaster
in 10 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Visited the tour today with my family. Really enjoyable day out & personally I think worth the money (a bit pricey paying £15 for my 3yr old thou) Great to see some of the interior sets & of course be inside 'the rovers' and to have your picture taken. The camera that they use was broken & we only found this out when we went to collect our pictures so the tour guides quickly arranged to take folk back inside to have their pictures taken which I thought was very good of them. Great to see props etc. you are unable to take pictures of the interior sets which is fair enough but you can click away when you were on the cobbles.

Personally I think it would have been better to see more interior sets (I won't say which ones & spoil the surprise) but it's not the be all & end all. All in all a fab day out!

2  Thank FayCharlstonUk
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and myself enjoyed our corrie tour however as some people have said the tour is 50 min inside not 1hr30. I do think £16 is slightly over priced to walk through the set also. Having said this it was great to look round and find out how it is all really filmed! Some really old equipment / buildings! The £7 photograph was extremely expensive in my opinion! A good one off experience.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I really enjoyed my tour of the studios and Coronation Street itself. Brilliant to see the street itself and all of its iconic glory. When on the street you can take photos and wander round wherever you like. They have a few of the back yards open and you can go down the ginnel as well as the smoking area in the Rovers and David Platts backgarden, where you can see Annas and Sallys gardens too. Its open all the way through Rosamund Street to Victoria street too.

The actual tour before you go onto the street is quite interesting but its clear the tour guides have simply memorised a script like the Streets actors. Because there is a tour approx every 5 mins there is always another group hot on your heels and as such you cannot ask questions on the way round. It felt a bit like school where if you asked a question you would be disrupting the class. The most major downside on this for me is that we couldnt take any pictures of the internal sets. Im not sure of the exact reason for this but I suspect its so you dont hold the group up (God forbid) and so they can take your photo in the Rovers set and charge you £7.50 for it.

The sets were very good to see and I was amazed how small they actually are. But while I realise they are using most of the sets at Media City now, most of the sets they do have are really old. Such as Carlas flat which from what I can remember she sold years ago and the barge Ken had an affair on, again ages ago.

Going onto the actual Street is definatly the highlight of this tour and you can spend as much time as you like on the Street. The shop at the end isnt much good, it doesnt have much anyone would want to buy. Who in thier right mind would want a shopping bag with a huge picture of Anthony Cotton on it??

The last thing I will say about this, is your ticket will say arrive half an hour early. My advice is dont. There is no reason to other than they want you to go in the cafe. Which is well overpriced. It took less than 3 mins to go through the ticket checks and enter the site. So then you have no choice but to go into the cafe as there isnt anything else there. Just arrive 5 mins early and save yourself a fortune.

Overall it was a good day out and worth the ticket price.

2  Thank Nick876