Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Piccadilly) Hotel
Ranked #12 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Very convenient location , basic but clean and modern with friendly staff. Restaurant ok for breakfast and dinner. Room security very good. Handy to Piccadilly station and northern quarter. Tends to fill up quickly so best to book well in advance.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ianmolynz
JOANNA P, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Piccadilly) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for choosing us for Manchester trip. Great to see our location suited the needs of your trip and it will great to pass your comments back to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back on any return trips to Manchester!

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Piccadilly) Hotel

Reviewed 26 January 2014

the second time we have stayed at the premier inn, piccadilly. the staff recognised us at the welcome desk, a very warm welcome. we stayed on the fourth floor excellent clean room, with all the features you might expect.

the position of the hotel is around two minutes walk from the piccadily main line railway station, very handy. step outside for the free buses to the city centre. ask at reception for a map of the routes.

we will definitely stay at the hotel, very easy to get to the attractions and nightlife that manchester has to offer. eel down to the staff.

1  Thank Denzilgts
JOANNA P, Operatiosn Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Piccadilly) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Good overall one night stay. Swift check-in and very friendly reception staff. Hotel is ideally situated five minutes walk from Piccadilly Station, and there is an independently run secure car park directly opposite, offering 24hr parking for £10.

Hotel is very new, rooms are very high standard. Hotel was very quiet from a staying guests point of view, although being a saturday night, in the city centre, there was the occasional late night disturbance from police and ambulance sirens. Certainly nothing the hotel could control, and everything within their remit was very good.

There is a nice bar and restaurant in the hotel, and access to the guest rooms area is restricted by use of the electronic swipe cards. There is also a self check-in facility, and a cashpoint in reception (charges £1.75).

I like this hotel for the location, secure parking, access to rail, and overall very pleasant ambiance. this is an ideal place to stay in the centre of manchester. Will stay again.

Room Tip: I was happy with room 1115, and would ask for it again.
1  Thank superDJ

Thank you for choosing us for Manchester trip.

Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for weekend break. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and comfy (especially the bed) with good view (room was on 11th floor ). V good location for city centre and train station. Room was very clean and felt new.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oxfordtraveller2012

Thank you for choosing us for your weekend break in Manchester.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Nice room. Spotlessly clean. Spacious and comfy. Relatively quiet for a city centre location. Friendly and helpful staff. Great location for Manchester Piccadilly Station. As usual Premier Inn did not disappoint.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank smifnsmif2011

Thank you for your recent feedback on your stay with us.

Brilliant to see you enjoying the hotel. The team work extremelly hard in keeping the fresh feeling of the hotel, so will be great to pass them your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I chose this particular Premier Inn as it was within spitting distance of Piccadilly station which was highly convenient. Upon arrival around 30 minutes before advertised check-in I decided to see if my room was ready anyway. The front of house staff on reception were very helpful however the initial service was a little slow as there was only one member of staff on when I first arrived. The reception is bizarre and is rather cramped, strange for a purpose built hotel with 11 floors that is new for there to only be space for two receptionists at once. Our concierge was extremely helpful and provided a map of the local area along with explaining meal times and other useful information.

My room was a double on the third floor. My initial thoughts were that it was a functional yet relaxing room at a good price, however on closer inspection there are some completely idiotic design flaws that begs the question of who quality controls these designs for new hotels?!

While they are minor details, they are something that the vast majority of people would notice if stopping. A huge niggle I have with hotels, more understandable in old buildings but not excusable in a new building was the complete lack of power sockets on the side of the room the bed is on. Except one, on one side of the bed, right near the floor and just slightly too short to comfortably use a phone whilst sitting or lying on the bed while on charge. There were something like 6-7 total plug sockets including the ones for the lamp and TV on the other side of the room, but who brings that many items that they would like to leave away from the part of the room they are spending a lot of the time in?

Another potential winner but sadly unusable was the pivoting hinge on the wall mounted TV, cleverly designed so that you can also watch TV in the bath but with just one TV for the whole room. Great! But wait... the taps are on that side of the bath, so you can't lie down in it that way round. Lie in the bath the other way and you cannot possibly see the TV. Good idea that is a total white elephant. The £3 WiFi was less than useless, with a download speed struggling to reach 1Mbps. This is 2014, not BT dialup in 1998! I asked for a refund in the morning which they said they would organise, however as I paid online through my device they revealed they could not refund me and I had to telephone (using my own money/phone allowance) to get this refunded. Embarrassing for £3 so I left it.

Finally the window in my room was extremely difficult to close. The window in a room my friends were stopping in on the same floor wouldn't shut properly at all and the window frame didn't meet with the window itself causing noise and the elements to leak in to the room.

As the weather was awful, we decided to dine at the hotel restaurant, the Thyme Restaurant and Bar on the ground floor. Well laid out and designed with welcoming and tasteful decor, initial expectations were high. I waited a longer than acceptable time to be seated along with friends, despite the restaurant only being about a fifth full. The staff were completely rushed off their feet. We were eventually seated in a nice area of the restaurant by "Dave" who it later appeared was the manager of the restaurant. We also ordered our food and drink with him. Our food arrived in good time and was very nice, however the problems arose when we came to leaving.

The original tab was opened at 20:17, and the bill was printed at 21:33 after we had finished our courses. There had already been around a 5-10 minute wait between asking for the bill and receiving it. There was an issue with the bill as we wanted to split it over three cards, but only two of three of us had opted for the £12.75 meal deal, but strangely it had mixed some of our items up when adding up on the software and left us with around £1 more to pay. Not a crying matter but still rather odd they couldn't fix it. We decided to pay the extra anyway, and our now waitress (Chelsea) went to retrieve the card reader. It was at this point we were getting impatient but then quickly realised she was frantically having to take orders, let people pay, clean up, take glasses to the bar and still wait tables. The chef was even having to bring food to tables in his chef's uniform which looked highly unprofessional.

It was also at this point we noticed that Dave the manager had removed his name badge despite being in the vicinity still. He disappeared soon after. When Chelsea finally realised we were still waiting, she came to take our payment. The final payment was taken a staggering 42 minutes after our bill was presented to us. I counted around 15 other guests at the time in the restaurant who were all having to be served by one waitress. This is appalling staff treatment and something I will be alerting to Premier Inn and Whitbread.

The night's sleep was uneventful and was extremely comfortable. The next morning we arrived for breakfast and who did we see waiting tables? That's right! The same waitress from the night before, who looked like she was suffering from the effects of fatigue. We talked briefly whilst sorting transactions and she revealed that she finished around midnight the night before and only had around 8 hours before being back at work. She also revealed the manager the night before finished early so he could skive off to a private party! Breakfast itself was very nice and I have no complaints about the quality of food.

In conclusion, this hotel on the whole functions as just that... a hotel. But it has design flaws and ethics that make me question whether I should stop at a Premier Inn again or whether I should opt for a competitor. The rooms are poorly thought out upon closer inspection and I think within 5-10 years the hotel will be showing its poor build quality. If that. The staff are treated like slaves yet still manage to put on a smile for people they are serving who they may never see again.

If I was told I must stop there again, or on a paid business trip, I would. Will I return for leisure purposes again with my own money? No.

Room Tip: Want WiFi? Forget it. Less than useless. Unless you like to leave your phone a mile away from your...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mjw9110
JOANNA P, Operations Manager at Premier Inn Manchester City Centre (Piccadilly) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback on the hotel.

Myself and team work really hard and are dedicated to making sure that every guest has a Brilliant night sleep stay with us offering a great experience in our restaurant and I apologise that on this occasion that we don't seem to have lived up to your expectation. I will certainly investigate the evening with the team and ensure this does not happen in the future.

Please if you wish to voice any further feedback contact myself or team and we will happily listen to any feedback especially were we can improve our service to you. I hope this does not stop you choosing the brand in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

For various reasons, this is Manchester's best Premier Inn: it's new, hyper central, but down a noise-free sidestreet.

If you book a month or so ahead - and assuming a match or other event isn't on - then you can get a room for a Friday night at £29. We took advantage of a sale and stayed for £25, which is the lowest price I've ever seen for this place.

Go and look at the website now - use the calendar to go about a month into the future and see what I'm on about. If it's available for about £29 or so then book it. Go on!

1  Thank misterpastry

Thank you for your recent feedback on the hotel on your recent visit to Manchester.

Brilliant to see you taking advantage of our great offers which are available through out the year. We hope when looking through your calendar you will book with us again soon.