“Wonderful”

Annies
Ranked #88 of 2,371 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Annies is owned by actress Jennie McAlpine and her partner Chris Farr. Located just off St. Ann's Square in the iconic Royal Exchange building, tucked away from the hustle and bustle, Annies is the perfect setting to eat good old fashioned food and relax in comfort and style. For a business lunch, traditional afternoon tea, pre-theatre meal, leisurely evening dinner or a private party, Annies is the place to find traditional, good quality food and friendly service. Let us look after you!
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked at Annie’s as part of my wife’s birthday celebration and what a wonderful experience it was. The atmosphere was truly relaxing and the food was excellent without being pretentious.
The staff were both polite and friendly and meeting Jennie made our evening complete, what a lovely lady. We will certainly be back again, thank you for a wonderful evening.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I booked a table online as a Birthday meal for my friend and myself on 14th June.
When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff and escorted us downstairs to the restaurant.
We were asked to take a seat in the lounge area which was set up with comfy armchairs and sofas.
The waitress immediately asked for our drinks and our wonderful cocktails arrived. We were taking some photos and the waitress was great and took some of us both.
The whole atmosphere and ambiance of the restaurant was wonderful, you left the hustle and bustle of Manchester's centre, to a relaxing and calming space. It is an amazing venue, perfect for a private party!
Our table when we were shown to it, had been decorated with sprinkles and a Birthday card and balloon from the venue, it was a wonderful touch, as was the complimentary glass of bubbly for the Birthday girl!
The menu is not huge but full of wonderful British dishes and we both had the Lancashire rarebit with a delicious chutney and the 'mmmmmmms' began there!
Our Annie's Hotpot was truly delicious and full of tender and delicious chunks of lamb, the red cabbage was also lovely, so more 'mmmmmms' could be heard from us both!
Another lovely cocktail and an amazing chocolate mint indulgence to complete an amazing meal.
We felt we really needed to apologise for our 'mmmmms' and the staff were again great.
What a fantastic gem hidden away, we will definitely be back, thank you all for a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Strange place and although im not one for being all prim and proper it was far too informal for me. Drinks are really expensive....vodka and coke and a coke a tenner!!!! Staff were very nice and helpful. Had soup in a massive bowl but could have easily fitted in a t cup....had goats cheese and beetroot salad which was a huge bowl of lettuce with a nice piece of cheese....but I think the beetroot was shy.....I am now at home raiding the fridge as I am famished. ....would not go back as there was nothing to go back for.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Booked early evening table as near to the theatre we were going to. Limited menu but that is usually a good sign as it means they do the food well. Arrived on time and were sat in the bar. We had to ask to be taken to our table explaining we were on a limited timeframe. Decided not to have a starter but just to go for the main course and pudding, this took 45 mins to arrive. And the restaurant wasn't full and is fairly small. my partner had the cottage pie which he said was nice but it was a very small portion with two very thin small pieces of broccoli and around 8 slices of carrot. I had gone for the burger and not sure how they manged this but the chips were burnt, tasteless, soggy and slightly cold. burger was ok. As we were eating the meal the owner was doing the rounds and came to the table to ask if we were enjoying the meal. I said the burger was fine but the chips were awful. she said let me order you some more, a good response, but I explained we were on a short time frame plus at this point I was half way through my burger. she then said oh what a shame and walked off to speak to other diners who may have been more star struck and less likely to comment on the food. We had to go to the bar to pay the bill as none of the waiting staff gave any eye contact following the comment to the owner re the food. It's was £35 for a really small cottage pie and limited veg, a burger with chips you could not eat 1 lime and soda very short on the lime and a beer. We went to the theatre for cake and coffee didn't want to risk a pudding and the couple next to us had waited over 20 mins for ice cream. We just didn't have the time. nice venue but will not be going again not good value for money unless you are desperate to meet a corrie actor.

1  Thank Alijay21
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I booked a table at Annie's for afternoon tea for my sisters 40th. I had emailed them beforehand and asked them to try and make it a bit special as she was also heavily pregnant. Annie's decorated the table with confetti, balloon and a card, the owners even came over to wish her a happy birthday. It was really lovely and considerate! The food was great and the service very good also. Couldn't recommend it enough!!