“Nice setting but disappointing ”
Review of Annies

Annies
Ranked #88 of 2,329 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Annies is owned by actress Jennie McAlpine and her partner Chris Farr. Located just off St. Ann's Square in the iconic Royal Exchange building, tucked away from the hustle and bustle, Annies is the perfect setting to eat good old fashioned food and relax in comfort and style. For a business lunch, traditional afternoon tea, pre-theatre meal, leisurely evening dinner or a private party, Annies is the place to find traditional, good quality food and friendly service. Let us look after you!
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Drawn in by pre-theatre menu but only had 3 options which weren't very exciting so opted for the usual menu.

Shared a corned beef hash starter which was average. Nice idea but no flavours stood out. Wasn't left wanting more. Got the house white which was nice and surprisingly affordable compared to the rest of the menu.

Mains were fish and chips and sea bass. My fish and chips were soggy and bland. Batter undercooked and fish was slimy and tasteless. Would have gotten better in a £5 chippy rather than £13 paid. Sea bass was tasty but would want more than a few greens as accompaniment for £20.

Nice music and setting but wouldn't go back with what we tasted. Plenty more tastier and affordable restaurants near by.

If you're charging those prices, people expect better quality.

There are newer reviews for Annies

Reviewed 12 July 2014

My husband and I called here today for a coffee. The restaurant was quiet when we arrived, except for a birthday party. We were very pleased to find two large comfortable arm chairs here at Annies to have our coffee in. The cakes on the counter tempted us: we chose carrot cake and a large chocolate cake. Both the coffee and the cake were delicious.

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have left Annie's about an hour ago and although we always read reviews I think I've only put two on so far, we walked a distance to get to this as we'd read the reviews and wanted to see what it was like for ourselves. Well the place is done out really nicely, nice decor, friendly staff and comfy chairs. We ordered a drink each and ordered our food. Waited about ten minutes then was asked to take our seats. We waited longer than usual, the starter came out, we ordered scallops and prawn cocktail. The scallops were £8.95 and I had two?? On a bed of under cooked peas which were puréed. The scallops were nicely cooked I cannot dispute that but only two?? Come on.. For the price this was poor value for money. My husbands prawn cocktail contained only four prawns and for the price this was skimpy to say the least. Waiter was just ok, asked how our starter was I said 'ok' he just took the plates and left sharpish which I thought was unsatisfactory considering it was obvious I was not really happy with it, another waiter (front of house) came over and asked so I explained to him, I presume he used it as feedback. Following this my husband noticed how the waiters were looking over and at us and very much appeared to be laughing which we both found somewhat embarrassing and clearly unprofessional.
Back to the food... Our mains were nice, chunky chips were gorge but a bit soggy, you can't have it all though! but in fairness when paying those prices and from the reviews I read it was disappointing for the value for money. I expected more than what I got, would I recommend it to anyone? No, will we go back? no. We can get better service and value elsewhere in Manchester for these prices I'm afraid.

3  Thank lincylovers
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This was our first visit to Manchester and after being on the Coronation Street tour, we booked a meal here to finish our day. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff and the food was reasonably priced and delicious. I loved my Cottage Pie! We had a flight to catch so the staff very kindly phoned a taxi for us. Richard left the restaurant to walk us to the taxi which was so kind and helpful. If we lived nearer we would visit Annie's more often and if we're back in Manchester we will certainly return.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went to Annies on Sunday afternoon. It was myself, my friend and our two young children. We sat down and ordered food. The childrens drinks arrived in very unsuitable glasses for the age of the children (2 year olds were given tall, slim glasses filled straight to the top). Unsurprisingly one of the children knocked one of the drinks over, at this point we were left to try to clean up ourselves with the bits of napkins on our table, whilst the staff looked on. I went to the bar ro ask for a cloth and was given a couple of pieces of blue roll, after we has finished cleaning up (finally) a member of the team came over and asked if we would like them to mop the area.
The food arrived and in fairness it was nice. My friend has order chicken ceasar salad of which the poached egg was overcooked and had gone hard so we asked the staff for a fresh egg. The new egg arrvied a good ten minutes later; however the egg which arrived was fried!!! By this point we has nearly finished our meal and so we accepted.
Next we order to small kids ice creams of which both arrived already melted.
Summary food nice; staff disappointing.

1  Thank Kelly j