“Visiting Galleries and Musuems”

Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street
Ranked #62 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Visiting Galleries and Musuems”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

Good location - close to City Centre. The reception staff were very helpful, the room was clean, comfortable and functional. For the price paid you would be hard pushed to find anywhere else in Manchester as good.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased you found the hotel to be in a good location for the city centre.
It is fantastic to hear you found the staff helpful and felt the hotel was good value for money.
We hope to see you again.
Frederic Dumont

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed here with 2 of my friends back in February. The room for 3 consisted of a double bed with a single bunk above. The room was nice and clean however very small. You could barely open the door to get in and out of the toilet and the sink/shower area was right next to the double bed. The beds were very hard which I found quite shocking as Ibis usually have an excellent standard of bedding and mattresses. For a 3 person room we were supplied with just one towel which is quite shocking as we had to have a brawl over who got to use the towel (the lady won), and me and my guy friend had to go without showering the night/morning. The hotel was very modern (nice lifts, lobby's) and the corridors reminded us of titanic, our friend Jason did a cracking re-enactment of the "get your life jackets on!" scene in the movie. "Free" wi-fi did not work which was a disappointment to us 3 students which was something that would of been beneficial for us. Can't comment on the food/breakfast as we didn't have that. Pizzas smelt quite good though on check-in. One good thing - we asked hotel to call for a taxi and it came within minutes! Overall, did the job and I would recommend it for a quick overnight stay.

Jack

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am glad to hear you were impressed with the modern design of the hotel and found the room clean.
For future reference, we have a stock of extra towels and bedding at reception that we will happily provide for you.
The free wifi is always available, although we have had feedback that when using an iphone the set up is slightly different and you need to open it through 'safari' and enter the password provided at reception.
I am pleased you were happy with your stay overall and would recommend us to others.
We look forward to welcoming you back in future.
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

There are 5 Ibis hotels in Manchester. Compare carefully what you want. For sleeping one night and leaving next aftenoon to the aiport - this was more than ok. During our visit we just got positive and helpfull service. Look what others say about the rooms - I agree their message: new, basic but well functioning. Bed was little hard and might been better if somekind of "softer mattress cover" had been added to the bunk(?). Breakfast: cheap but more than we needed.
Loking forward this type of budget concept: New, clean, location reasonable, well known brand, but no extras, which I dodn't need when at the down town.

Room Tip: Windows are small, but i hope in every room. generally no difference in rooms?
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your feed back on your recent stay with us. It's great to hear you felt the service you received was positive and friendly.
There is no difference in the size of the windows in each of the rooms, they are designed as standard.
I am glad you felt the breakfast was value for money and the hotel suited your overall needs.
I hope you will consider us again in future.
Berwick upon Tweed, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

We stayed with our 2 year old son (which we were not charged for), the room was wonderful, but compact (but had everything that was needed), the extra bed for a child is not suitable for under 6 (it is a high sleeper, but i guess it would depend on your child, not suitable for my 2 year old) however as we were not charged for our son, and we only stayed for 2 nights we can not complain.
We paid for the breakfast option, and it was brilliant, it was all you can eat continental, so there was pastries, toast, fruits, tea/coffee and fruit juice, all unlimited...this was wonderful for less then £5 per person per night.
The room was clean, modern, and outstanding condition for the price we paid. The hotel was across the street from the Metro/Tram link it was less then a minutes walk! The 24hour reception, and friendly staff were brilliant and we would genuinely recommend this hotel to anyone, especially for short term stays.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Many thanks for your kind comments and compliments. It's great to hear you found the room comfortable and enjoyed the modern design features throughout.
We are very pleased the metrolink is now open, providing direct access to all areas of the city and beyond.
It is always great to hear you were impressed with the team on reception-I will pass on your compliments to them.
Thank you for recommending us to others. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2013

PROS: Usually lowish prices; brand new; fairly near to the bus and train stations.

CONS: Rooms are very basic; hotel not particularly well connected by public transport and can be quite a difficult walk from the bus/train stations if you have a lot of baggage; hotel is not very far from the city centre but feels quite remote due to the surroundings; prices can hike up when Manchester is busy and it can be a bit galling to have to pay £45+ for a VERY basic room; staff don't always know what they're doing.

We booked on behalf of guests who were visiting the company where I work. I spoke to someone on the phone who said that they would arrange to take the payment in advance as the guests would not have access to our credit card. When the guests arrived, shortly before midnight, they were not allowed access to the rooms without paying for the two rooms using their own credit card upfront. Luckily they had my mobile number to call me when they realised that there was a problem as I was not in the office at midnight! When I spoke with the night manager he was extraordinarily unhelpful ("madam, it's midnight, what can I do about it?") and refused to listen to me or what I was trying to tell him about the conversation I'd had at the point of booking. He insisted that he wasn't the person I had spoken to, told me a lot of irrelevant stories about his own credit card usage, before finally saying that he couldn't do anything and he'd have to pass on my apologies to the guests in the morning as he couldn't speak to them. While he accepted that the hotel was responsible for giving me the wrong information, he did not make any attempts to solve the problem - he simply insisted that it wasn't his mistake personally and that there was nothing he can do!

I spoke to the guests and they said that the rooms were fine - very basic, but nice enough as the hotel was new.

My company won't ever book with them due to their mistake and subsequent unwillingness to even attempt to rectify their mistake. I imagine that the hotel is fine, however, if you're looking for somewhere cheap and don't plan to stay inside much, and if you're booking for your own personal use and not trying to pay on behalf of someone else. I feel like its newness is it's best attribute (it's all clean and neat) but when it's no longer new it will have little to recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to feed back. I was sorry to hear your guests encountered some problems at check in. I have investigated the matter and found out that your booking was done via our central reservation system and not directly with the hotel.
Please note that to comply with the company financial procedure, to be able to take payment from a credit card while the card holder is not present, we need to receive a Pre Authorisation Form via fax or email.
This is, I believe the issue you had on arrival as no authorisation form had been sent.
I am sorry this wasn't clearly explained by our central reservation team and i have now passed on your feedback to them in order to avoid any re-occurrence.
I have also discussed your comments with the Reception Team to ensure that more flexibility is given at check in, as the situation could have been sorted after your guests had checked in.
Apologies once again for the inconvenience and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

Stayed here when visiting Manchester Velodrome - first impressions very clean and tidy and exceptionally welcoming staff . Went to the room which unfortunately someone had been smoking in but moved rooms with no problem - second room could have done with an airing and the TV didnt work but to be honest it was late and just wanted to sleep. Room clean and basic but fine for what we paid for it. Stairwell could have done with a hoover . Bed was very hard and it would have been nice if the bunk had been made as they knew there were three of us staying.
The lighting felt very upmarket for the room and the shower was one of the best we have used recently. Would use again when we just need a bed for the night ( and they are happy for you to bring your bike in )

1 Thank Shona C
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for the review of your recent stay. I am glad you were pleased with the service you received and enjoyed your stay overall.
I'm sorry to hear you thought your triple booking had been overlooked. I can assure you this was not the case and is in fact standard procedure for all Ibis Budget Hotels to provide a linen pack for the single bunk.
I am pleased to hear you were impressed with the design features in your room and I hope you will consider us for your next trip.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2013

I enjoyed very good service from the staff. Hotel was extremely clean, comfortable and great value. I will use this hotel again when staying in Manchester. Very convenient for the great Northern Quarter.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank treborrekool123
Thank you for your review of the hotel. I'm glad to hear you had a comfortable stay and were pleased with the service you received from the team.
We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Manchester.