“Budget is as budget does”

Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street
Ranked #62 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Hove, UK
“Budget is as budget does”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I booked this place not knowing it was a 'budget' Ibis. Very basic, only a bar of soap, no remote for the tv, a bit scruffy - window blinds don't fully work, window sills are tatty. Still, it was comfortable enough. Expensive for budget hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear the Ibis Budget package was not to your taste.
I value any comments I receive and have passed the remarks regarding cleanliness on to the housekeeping manager.

I am pleased you had a comfortable stay and hope you may consider us again in future.

Frederic Dumont

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I have stayed here a few times as its within walking distance to Piccadilly & seems to be the only Ibis hotel that doesn't increase their prices on match days. It does as it says on the tin.
Until now the only problem I had with the hotel was been asked for my passport for photocopying every time I stayed.
Been asked at all was bad enough.
This time however my stay was not enjoyable.
I had forgotten to print my boarding card for my flight home.
I arrived at the hotel at 11pm tired & looking forward to some sleep.
My alarm was set for 5.30am the next morning.
The hotel advertises free wifi and internet,what they don't advertise is that they have no printer unless you use the one located in the reception office. To do this I had to check in via the airline website & then save the attachment on the pc in the lobby.
The download speed on the hotel pc was poor & it took me a few timely attempts to do this.Just as each download was complete the pc would time me out & I had to start over.
This happened 3 times before I eventually downloaded the boarding pass. Next I then had to save the document & email it to the front desk.
I went to the front desk only to be informed that it had not arrived.
We waited a short time & eventually it came through.
The receptionist printed it from their office & charged me £1 for the privilege. All this took about half an hour. When I enquired why there was no printer in the lobby I was informed that it was costing the hotel too much money & that the internet connection alone was costing the hotel £20 a day! I wasn't in a position to argue the point as there was a big security man beside the receptionist watching over the proceedings.
When I got to the room it was freezing. With no instructions for the heating system I had to fiddle about with the controls before eventually getting it partially blowing semi warmish air. There was also no remote for the tv & as it was nearly midnight I just went to bed with my clothes on. Thankfully I did fall into a deep sleep which was the only good experience to come out of my stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank rodzer
Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay; I'm sorry your visit this time was not as satisfactory as previous experiences.

Firstly, it is standard procedure in Ibis Budget to ask for a valid ID or passport on arrival; not a decision of the hotel.

The hotel advertises free WiFi throughout the hotel; something that is not offered in many hotels.
It does not advertise having facilities with which to use the Wifi, the computer in the lobby is additional, should guests need to research the area or check emails etc.

Although we are not obliged to provide means of printing, we allow guests to do so (within reason) using the reception printer at a small fee to cover printing costs and a lot less than the charge for printing at the airport.

For future reference, if you do have any queries regarding the air/heating system, a reception team member will be happy to explain.

I hope this clears up answers your concerns and I hope you will still consider us for future bookings.

Kilkeel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I know this is a budget hotel but if i wanted this standard i would have booked a hostel. the details on the website say en-suite shower room...the shower was in the bedroom. As a group of 3 girls this was not on. the hotel staff were very defensive and rude when we told them we were thinking of moving to another hotel. they would not compromise with us at all. they offered us a bed sheet to cover the glass shower door that was in the middle of our room. left here and stayed in the jurys in which was a fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Dont go here unless u dont plan to sleep or shower
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback; however I must clarify that the term 'en-suite' describes bathroom facilities either connected to a room or part of. There are several photographs on both websites that display all angles of the rooms, so prospective guests have a clear idea of what they are booking before they arrive.
All showers have a frosted glass door (as shown on website) and from the hundreds of guests we have here on a daily basis; very few find this problematic.

We have never encountered guests leaving the hotel for this reason and due to the design of the bathrooms we could not offer an alternative other than a way of covering the door.

It is disappointing you felt the need to chose alternative accomodation and will not be choosing us again in future.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

This room is definitely one of the cheapest rooms I've ever booked. It was really clean and well kept, however it is slightly further away from the city centre but for a cheap place to stay at, it is value for money. It can also be for triple or doubles. The Shower is however inside the bedroom.

Thank you very much for leaving feedback on your stay; It's great to hear we offered the most competitive price.

I'm very pleased you were happy with the quality of the room and hope you will consider us for your next visit to Manchester.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The staff were very friendly and helpfully and the room was nice lovely shower but the only down falls were that the mattress felt like I was laying on a plank of wood had to check if it was even a mattress and the toilet felt like you was shoved tight in a closet, although saying this it was good for the money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Many thanks for reviewing your stay; I'm very pleased you were happy with your visit overall and felt the hotel was value for money.

We hope you will consider us again for future visits.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel is perfect for visitors who are not willing to spend a lot of money just for a place to sleep. Therefor don't expect to find too much luxury here. It is situated 10 minutes walk from the Piccadilly rail station and 15 minutes walk from Market Street. As I stayed in an Ibis budget hotel in London a couple of months ago, I was familiar with the policy and design of the hotel. The room was basic, whereas the disco shower was excellent. The staff were very polite and friendly. The breakfast was satisfactory. Tip: ask for a bathmat free of charge from the reception.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay; I'm glad the hotel met your expectations and you were satisfied with the price you paid and the quality of service you received.

The team and I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a 2 night break! Really makes me laugh some of the negative views for example police car sirens! Our stay was fantastic from the moment we checked in very friendly young receptionist! Rooms are basic but very nice and clean for a budget hotel I have stayed in much worse that are not classed as a budget! Would not hesitate to stay here again.loved the disco shower:) keep up the good management :) thanks for a pleasant stay. ...debbie

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you very much for your kind comments; I'm thrilled you felt you had a fantastic stay and were impressed with the service you received throughout.

It's also great to hear you were happy with the standard of cleanliness and modern design features in your room.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.