“Brilliant and cheap”

Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street
Ranked #65 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice now and have been happy both times. We had rooms on the 3rd and 2nd floors and there was no issue with noise. Extra towels and pillows were given on request and the room was very clean. I liked the light up shower however the clear door and mirror placed opposite meant I could see everything in the shower when I was in bed. The breakfast was pretty over priced, around £5 and there was no cooked food, mostly cereal and croissants. Overall a very reasonable hotel and we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed: March 2014
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay.
I am very happy to hear the hotel is maintaining the standard you expect from us and we provided everything you required.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and hope you will consider us again for future visits to Manchester.

Frederic Dumont

Write a ReviewReviews (1,476)

Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Contrary to what others have said I found the staff at this hotel to be very friendly. They moved our booking (due to match change) even though it was booked on a promotional / non change rate.

Rooms are small but functional. I'd already stayed in the Belfast one so knew about the shower in the room. This could be tricky for groups of bashful friends. Worth noting that the toilet is in a separate room.

Prices do get inflated on big match days so book early.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for your review.
I'm thrilled to hear you were happy with the service you received from the team and we were able to rearrange your booking.
Although we cannot cancel or refund the booking we do try to move the reservation to another date (subject to availability) but please note that if the new date is a higher rate, the extra amount is required and if lower, a refund cannot be made.

We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Ibis Budget brand and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was surprised at the cost of the hotel when I booked, at 75 GBP for 1 person for 2 nights, but it was for a function that was taking place nearby. The function was cancelled and I attempted to to cancel the reservation.
I tried calling the hotel but the phone line was busy the first 10 or 15 times I rang. Eventually someone answered and rudely informed me that I had booked under a special promotion and was unable to cancel the booking. I am sure this was written in the fine print., but I did not see it. If it was a promotion I would have expected a cheaper price.
I would not deal with these guys again and certainly not recommend them.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank GraceODonovan2013

Thank you for your feedback; I do sympathise and understand your circumstances were unforseen, however the terms and conditions of the reservation state that the booking option you chose was non-cancellable and non-refundable.

For future reference, there is the option of the flexible rate which allows you to cancel any time before 2pm on the day arrival.

I am sorry to hear you will not choose to stay with us again on this basis.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I booked this place not knowing it was a 'budget' Ibis. Very basic, only a bar of soap, no remote for the tv, a bit scruffy - window blinds don't fully work, window sills are tatty. Still, it was comfortable enough. Expensive for budget hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear the Ibis Budget package was not to your taste.
I value any comments I receive and have passed the remarks regarding cleanliness on to the housekeeping manager.

I am pleased you had a comfortable stay and hope you may consider us again in future.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I have stayed here a few times as its within walking distance to Piccadilly & seems to be the only Ibis hotel that doesn't increase their prices on match days. It does as it says on the tin.
Until now the only problem I had with the hotel was been asked for my passport for photocopying every time I stayed.
Been asked at all was bad enough.
This time however my stay was not enjoyable.
I had forgotten to print my boarding card for my flight home.
I arrived at the hotel at 11pm tired & looking forward to some sleep.
My alarm was set for 5.30am the next morning.
The hotel advertises free wifi and internet,what they don't advertise is that they have no printer unless you use the one located in the reception office. To do this I had to check in via the airline website & then save the attachment on the pc in the lobby.
The download speed on the hotel pc was poor & it took me a few timely attempts to do this.Just as each download was complete the pc would time me out & I had to start over.
This happened 3 times before I eventually downloaded the boarding pass. Next I then had to save the document & email it to the front desk.
I went to the front desk only to be informed that it had not arrived.
We waited a short time & eventually it came through.
The receptionist printed it from their office & charged me £1 for the privilege. All this took about half an hour. When I enquired why there was no printer in the lobby I was informed that it was costing the hotel too much money & that the internet connection alone was costing the hotel £20 a day! I wasn't in a position to argue the point as there was a big security man beside the receptionist watching over the proceedings.
When I got to the room it was freezing. With no instructions for the heating system I had to fiddle about with the controls before eventually getting it partially blowing semi warmish air. There was also no remote for the tv & as it was nearly midnight I just went to bed with my clothes on. Thankfully I did fall into a deep sleep which was the only good experience to come out of my stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank rodzer

Thank you for leaving feedback on your stay; I'm sorry your visit this time was not as satisfactory as previous experiences.

Firstly, it is standard procedure in Ibis Budget to ask for a valid ID or passport on arrival; not a decision of the hotel.

The hotel advertises free WiFi throughout the hotel; something that is not offered in many hotels.
It does not advertise having facilities with which to use the Wifi, the computer in the lobby is additional, should guests need to research the area or check emails etc.

Although we are not obliged to provide means of printing, we allow guests to do so (within reason) using the reception printer at a small fee to cover printing costs and a lot less than the charge for printing at the airport.

For future reference, if you do have any queries regarding the air/heating system, a reception team member will be happy to explain.

I hope this clears up answers your concerns and I hope you will still consider us for future bookings.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I know this is a budget hotel but if i wanted this standard i would have booked a hostel. the details on the website say en-suite shower room...the shower was in the bedroom. As a group of 3 girls this was not on. the hotel staff were very defensive and rude when we told them we were thinking of moving to another hotel. they would not compromise with us at all. they offered us a bed sheet to cover the glass shower door that was in the middle of our room. left here and stayed in the jurys in which was a fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Dont go here unless u dont plan to sleep or shower
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for your feedback; however I must clarify that the term 'en-suite' describes bathroom facilities either connected to a room or part of. There are several photographs on both websites that display all angles of the rooms, so prospective guests have a clear idea of what they are booking before they arrive.
All showers have a frosted glass door (as shown on website) and from the hundreds of guests we have here on a daily basis; very few find this problematic.

We have never encountered guests leaving the hotel for this reason and due to the design of the bathrooms we could not offer an alternative other than a way of covering the door.

It is disappointing you felt the need to chose alternative accomodation and will not be choosing us again in future.