“Stay here for our wedding ”

Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street
Ranked #62 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Stay here for our wedding ”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stay here for our wedding on the 18 to the 21/09/13 it was ok on check in but was we told them about noise in the night from other in the hotel they said they would let the boss know and was we ask if the heater working in the room they said it be out for the last week they did say they will get someone to look at it but it never happen so I don't know if we come back

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you experienced noise from other (inconsiderate) guests.
We have security and a sound censor in reception to prevent this, however unfortunately this seemed to have been an exceptional case.
The heating system was not faulty for a week, but there were a few rooms affected for a short period. If it could not be fixed by our maintenance team, a portable heater was provided at reception.

I am sorry to hear you will not be staying with us again in future.

Frederic Dumont

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brighton
Reviewed 7 April 2014

During this visit I also stayed at Ibis Budget Manchester Salford Quays to compare them, so this review should be read in conjunction with that one.
This hotel has only just opened (and still smelt new which i liked!) and as such is the very latest Ibis Budget design, offering many improvements over the previous version as used at Salford Quays, the best of which for me was the automatic 'light-on' when you opened the Toilet Door! This makes such a difference and its so nice not to have to fumble for the light switch in the dark - big improvment!
There are funky LED lights in the room (although the room is normal Etap size) a larger shower cubicle than previous design and a very nice double-height Reception and Breakfast area, and they even sell items such as Burgers which you can heat up which is handy if you are stuck late at night and want something hot to eat - Although its budget it feels a bit higher spec!
However for me there are 2 major drawbacks. The first of which is for reasons best known to the architect, each room only has very narrow windows, like the 'slits' that you get in castles and prisons! This was a big disappointment to me as it was hard to see much and it made a small room seem even smaller! What were Accor thinking when they agreed to this??
The second one is that the immediate area around the hotel is fairly dead. This is a developing part of Manchester so this will probably change in time, and i didn't explore as much as i intended to, but i didn't see much and you would have to go into the Centre for food and attractions, unlike Salford Quays you can't just stay local.
In conclusion i would say that it depends what you will be doing. If you need to be based close to Piccadilly then stay here, only one stop on the Tram, and walkable if you've got good shoes! I like the fact that it's bang up-to-date, but those horrible small windows and lack of local facilities puts me off. I would go back, but would probably veer towards the Salford Quays branch despite the older room design, given the bigger windows and better locale.

Room Tip: Again partly overlooks a main road so try a higher floor. I think all rooms have those narrow window...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Many thanks for taking the time write such a detailed review of your stay.
I'm really pleased you feel the Ibis Budget design is a noticeable improvement on the previous model.

It's great to hear the modern touches in the rooms make an impact on so many of our guests and we are extremely proud of our purpose built reception/dining area.

You were correct in saying the surrounding area is currently undergoing a huge transformation, with plans from highly regarded designers already in place for a unique urban overhaul along the canal bank.

You may have seen the outstanding 'Chips' building already finished and home to young professionals; along with the ever expanding metrolink service running frequently through the city and beyond every 12 minutes.

Our building is part of the plan; a brand new modern complex home to Costa, Dominos and stylish office block. We are excited to be a part of the community; however it is for this reason I am unable to comment on the design of the windows. I am sorry they were not to your taste.

We do not have a group of restaurants across the road from us as the city centre is a 10 minute walk or 5 minute tram journey and is bursting with shops, bars and restaurants to choose from.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope you will consider us for your next trip.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was looking for a hotel for two nights to attend a business conference. The room although basic was clean and modern and had all I could need. Wifi was easily accessible though could be slow on occasions. The bed was rather firm which I liked bit might not suit some people. Overall, for the money, it can't be faulted. I would definitely stay here again for a conference.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your review.
I'm thrilled to hear you could not fault the hotel for the price you paid and felt it was value for money.

It's great to hear you would choose to stay with us in future; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Lancashire, England
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice now and have been happy both times. We had rooms on the 3rd and 2nd floors and there was no issue with noise. Extra towels and pillows were given on request and the room was very clean. I liked the light up shower however the clear door and mirror placed opposite meant I could see everything in the shower when I was in bed. The breakfast was pretty over priced, around £5 and there was no cooked food, mostly cereal and croissants. Overall a very reasonable hotel and we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay.
I am very happy to hear the hotel is maintaining the standard you expect from us and we provided everything you required.

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay overall and hope you will consider us again for future visits to Manchester.

Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014 via mobile

Contrary to what others have said I found the staff at this hotel to be very friendly. They moved our booking (due to match change) even though it was booked on a promotional / non change rate.

Rooms are small but functional. I'd already stayed in the Belfast one so knew about the shower in the room. This could be tricky for groups of bashful friends. Worth noting that the toilet is in a separate room.

Prices do get inflated on big match days so book early.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review.
I'm thrilled to hear you were happy with the service you received from the team and we were able to rearrange your booking.
Although we cannot cancel or refund the booking we do try to move the reservation to another date (subject to availability) but please note that if the new date is a higher rate, the extra amount is required and if lower, a refund cannot be made.

We appreciate your continued loyalty to the Ibis Budget brand and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was surprised at the cost of the hotel when I booked, at 75 GBP for 1 person for 2 nights, but it was for a function that was taking place nearby. The function was cancelled and I attempted to to cancel the reservation.
I tried calling the hotel but the phone line was busy the first 10 or 15 times I rang. Eventually someone answered and rudely informed me that I had booked under a special promotion and was unable to cancel the booking. I am sure this was written in the fine print., but I did not see it. If it was a promotion I would have expected a cheaper price.
I would not deal with these guys again and certainly not recommend them.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank GraceODonovan2013
Thank you for your feedback; I do sympathise and understand your circumstances were unforseen, however the terms and conditions of the reservation state that the booking option you chose was non-cancellable and non-refundable.

For future reference, there is the option of the flexible rate which allows you to cancel any time before 2pm on the day arrival.

I am sorry to hear you will not choose to stay with us again on this basis.