“Clean, Modern, Funky , CHEAP!!!!!”

Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 11 April 2014

new cheap hotel on the scene....needed to book for visiting friends.....easy parking, close to Piccadilly, Very airy and bright in lobby with minimalist design...

I booked a family room, so a double bed with a parallel bunked across the double bed below.....practical and clever designs of the room.....small ensuite with walk i shower only. TV with built in clock...as what you expect for price from £30 a night.. . . .

Room Tip: On a budget? book this if your just looking for a room with no thrills....after a good nights partyi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you very much for your kind comments; I'm thrilled you were impressed with the design of the hotel and felt your stay was value for money.

Many thanks for recommending us; we hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here in November 2013 with my mum and teenage brother as we were visiting my other brother who is at uni in Salford. We wanted to find a different hotel as soon as we arrived as the thought of four nights was unbearable. As a 25 yr old woman I found it awkward that the shower was in the bedroom! We were all mortified as there was no privacy. The shower has a glass door and if that wasn't bad enough there was a mirror opposite so in the morning when we wanted to wash we had to use one of our (very limited supply of) towels. It was really uncomfortable to the point that we just spent all day walking around Manchester to avoid being in the room. For couples it would be fine but def not for family.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback; I'm sorry to hear the design of the Ibis Budget was not to your taste.

For future reference, extra towels and pillows are freely available from reception if requested.

I hope you may consider us for future visits under different circumstances.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

What sometimes annoys me is when people write reviews of budget hotels as if expecting 4 star hotel standard. You have to write your review comparing like with like. If I was to compare this hotel with some youth hostels I have stayed in it woulod still be found wanting.

The rooms are very spartan. I have been in hospital rooms which were cosier. A prison cell I can't vouch for but I know where I would place my money if bettin g on what was the most comfortable!

Firstly, the location is right next to the ring road and an an indusrial park. There is nowhere to park at the hotel so there is parking just behind Picadilly Station, which is a 10 minute walk away through the industrial area. This is very seedy to walk through at night I'm afraid.

The staff can not be faulted. They suggested we took an accessible room on the 6th floor to avoid traffic noise so they were more than helpful. However, the seal between the shower area and the rest of the bathroom was broken, thus flooding the rest of the bathroom. Secondly the noise from the air conditioning outside our room (so we couldn't just turn it off) was like water torture. Again the staff were excellent and they sent somebody up at 2.30am in the morning to try and sort it out and they must have done something as the noise abated.

However, the second night we stayed the noise was worse. We were quickly moved into another room down the corridor away from the noise, which was a family room. There was a wire loose under the window sill, damp marks on the ceiling and the shower did not have anywhere separate to stand and dry but led directly to an area where the hand basin was, so water was dripped on to the floor by the basin. Furthermore, if we hadn't had been a couple but a family, there was a privacy issue as the shower was visible from the room with just a half frosted door to screen you.

If you want/need budget I suggest the youth hostel in the centre, not here. Good staff, pity about the rest.

Room Tip: Family rooms with a shower have a privacy issue.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to hear the Ibis Budget package was not to your taste.
There is a pay and display car park behind the apartments directly opposite the hotel, that charges £3 for 24 hours and is only a few minutes walk away.

It is disapponting to hear you encountered a few maintenance issues during your stay; however I'm pleased you were impressed with the service you received from the team throughout your stay.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Clean rooms, good food for good price. Not so far from the city center.
Proffesional service and very nice lady in the recpecion. I would recomend this place for everybody who is on the buissnes trip .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MegPaulL

Thank you for your kind comments; I'm thrilled you were impressed with the service you received and would recommend us to others.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stay here for our wedding on the 18 to the 21/09/13 it was ok on check in but was we told them about noise in the night from other in the hotel they said they would let the boss know and was we ask if the heater working in the room they said it be out for the last week they did say they will get someone to look at it but it never happen so I don't know if we come back

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear you experienced noise from other (inconsiderate) guests.
We have security and a sound censor in reception to prevent this, however unfortunately this seemed to have been an exceptional case.
The heating system was not faulty for a week, but there were a few rooms affected for a short period. If it could not be fixed by our maintenance team, a portable heater was provided at reception.

I am sorry to hear you will not be staying with us again in future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

During this visit I also stayed at Ibis Budget Manchester Salford Quays to compare them, so this review should be read in conjunction with that one.
This hotel has only just opened (and still smelt new which i liked!) and as such is the very latest Ibis Budget design, offering many improvements over the previous version as used at Salford Quays, the best of which for me was the automatic 'light-on' when you opened the Toilet Door! This makes such a difference and its so nice not to have to fumble for the light switch in the dark - big improvment!
There are funky LED lights in the room (although the room is normal Etap size) a larger shower cubicle than previous design and a very nice double-height Reception and Breakfast area, and they even sell items such as Burgers which you can heat up which is handy if you are stuck late at night and want something hot to eat - Although its budget it feels a bit higher spec!
However for me there are 2 major drawbacks. The first of which is for reasons best known to the architect, each room only has very narrow windows, like the 'slits' that you get in castles and prisons! This was a big disappointment to me as it was hard to see much and it made a small room seem even smaller! What were Accor thinking when they agreed to this??
The second one is that the immediate area around the hotel is fairly dead. This is a developing part of Manchester so this will probably change in time, and i didn't explore as much as i intended to, but i didn't see much and you would have to go into the Centre for food and attractions, unlike Salford Quays you can't just stay local.
In conclusion i would say that it depends what you will be doing. If you need to be based close to Piccadilly then stay here, only one stop on the Tram, and walkable if you've got good shoes! I like the fact that it's bang up-to-date, but those horrible small windows and lack of local facilities puts me off. I would go back, but would probably veer towards the Salford Quays branch despite the older room design, given the bigger windows and better locale.

Room Tip: Again partly overlooks a main road so try a higher floor. I think all rooms have those narrow window...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Frederic_Dumont_6943, Manager at Hotel ibis budget Manchester Centre Pollard Street, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Many thanks for taking the time write such a detailed review of your stay.
I'm really pleased you feel the Ibis Budget design is a noticeable improvement on the previous model.

It's great to hear the modern touches in the rooms make an impact on so many of our guests and we are extremely proud of our purpose built reception/dining area.

You were correct in saying the surrounding area is currently undergoing a huge transformation, with plans from highly regarded designers already in place for a unique urban overhaul along the canal bank.

You may have seen the outstanding 'Chips' building already finished and home to young professionals; along with the ever expanding metrolink service running frequently through the city and beyond every 12 minutes.

Our building is part of the plan; a brand new modern complex home to Costa, Dominos and stylish office block. We are excited to be a part of the community; however it is for this reason I am unable to comment on the design of the windows. I am sorry they were not to your taste.

We do not have a group of restaurants across the road from us as the city centre is a 10 minute walk or 5 minute tram journey and is bursting with shops, bars and restaurants to choose from.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I do hope you will consider us for your next trip.