“Poor service....poor food....”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Poor service....poor food....”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I dropped in the waterside early Sunday afternoon. The tables inside were waiter service, but after sitting waiting for someone to take our order for almost 45 mins we decided to order at the bar. Another 45mins went by until our food arrived ....... Sunday lunch !!! A burnt Yorkshire pudding, 3 small roast potatoes, a few slices of beef !!! Then a side plate of carrots, broccoli & cauliflower to share all of which were raw. The veg went back to the chef to cook a little longer but they came back just as hard but now cold,,,,,
Stay away very poor place disappointed !!!!

York, United Kingdom
“Great except for the salad”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Ten of us ate here yesterday for the first time. The burgers, lasagne, pasta and risotto were huge portions and very nicely presented. I was looking forward to my salad arriving! Then, the two of us having the halloumi salad got our salad and just looked at each other and said that we'd obviously made the wrong choice. It looked so unappetising. If the chef wants to see how to make a salad look appealing, I suggest he or she goes to Pizza Express or reads Jamie Oliver's salad section in one of his books. A jar of antipasto roasted peppers is not what I expect in a salad - they are too vinegary. Homemade roasted vegetables was what I expected from the description. The way the salad was prepared did not allow the flavours to fuse. We did say to the waitress that we were disappointed before we ate it and we were given another dish of the same thing. The others enjoyed their food and looking at it, I would have enjoyed it too. Bring your salads up to scratch or take them off the menu!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank LouLouWI
Manchester, United Kingdom
“'Bring a Torch'”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our first visit having read some positive reviews. On arrival my first impressions was that I wasn't sure if this was a pub or a restaurant. The front of the place had people sat drinking with their dogs. I have no issue with this but the place needs to decide what it is. We were seated at our table for 4 people and we all felt that the seating area was a bit cramped. What did seem strange for the restaurant area was the televisions on the walls showing 24 hour news, this was combined with quite intrusive music. I have to say the staff were really friendly and knowledgeable. The restaurant area where we were sat was really dark to the point that we needed to use the torch on my son's mobile phone to read the menu! Regarding the food I had the pate, however, the black pudding starter that the others had, although nice was suppose to contain bacon as part of the dish, but there didn't seem to be any sign or taste of it. Main courses were okay, although the strips of beef dish lacked taste and was just warm. The sweet selection was quite limited so none of us bothered. Price wise I would say it was on the expensive side for what the place is. It is not a place I will be returning to in a hurry.

• Visited June 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great little place”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is one of the nicest places to eat in Monton/Swinton. its been around quite some time I think the reason for this is they know how to please, the food is top notch and the staff are friendly, Its not the cheapest place to eat but its worth every penny.If you just fancy a drink its nice to sit outside by the canal and chill.

Visited June 2014
Waterside M, Owner at Crompton's at the Waterside, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Hi Christine.

Your opening comment does mean so much to us with all thats opening around us locally, so thank you very much for that. We are in our 8th year having relocated from the original Crompton's sited on Chorley Road in Swinton and its been a hard struggle with the previous occupants reputation but we are now seeing the benefits and this is showing through to us time and time again. Regarding the menu costing, we do feel genuine people like yourself are willing to pay a few more pence for a meal that has not seen the inside of a microwave nor sat alongside many other items in a deep fat fryer so thanks for your kind words with it being worth every penny. We do get a regular clientele who do 'pop in' for a peaceful and relaxing drink as you say sat alongside our tranquil and very soothing canal, which thankfully none of the local eateries have to offer.

We look forward to serving you again very soon

Best Regards
Herefordshire England
“Good friendly restaurant”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Good middle of the range menu and very reasonably priced. Staff very helpful and considerate. Have used it several times and each time the standard is very good. A firm favourite when visiting the family.

• Visited February 2014
Hi

Thanks very much for your positive review. We have selected a menu that suits all hopefully and we do change that seasonally to reflect local produce. Thanks for the comment regarding the staff, we do have a strong and friendly team and that does get reflected to us on numerous occasions.

Please do visit us again when you are next paying your family that all important visit.

Best Regards