“A little Gem”

Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 November 2013

A great experience from start to finish. Food was fab and can highly recommend the ribs and hanger steak cooked to perfection. Staff very helpful and cheery nothing too much trouble and very attentive. Would deffo pay another vist when visting manchester.

Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I came here with a work colleague on a Friday evening after popping in the pub downstairs for a drink. We checked out the menu at the bottom of the stairs and both fancied a burger with bacon which priced at £8.95 including slaw/relish and choice of side seemed reasonable. We were sat quickly as there was only a couple of other people in there and handed the menus. I was surprised to see the burgers now cost an extra £1 by just going upstairs? Either a printing error on the menu downstairs or out of date menu? We shrugged this off and ordered. The guy serving (possibly a manager) asked us which side we would like with our burger 'skinny fries/chunky chips/onion rings'. Atmosphere was ok whilst we were waiting just strange it being so quiet on a Friday evening. Food arrived after about 20 minutes, first impressions were good. However I find the use of ciabatta for a burger bun unusual. The burger was very thick but rather tasteless, not pink in the middle either just grey and dry. The unusual ciabatta bun didn't help being very dry also, unable to contain the burger and fell apart. The tiny pot of relish didn't go far in easing this! I gave up on the bun and just ate the meat. Coleslaw looked home made but unfortunately lacked in flavour, my friend commented it tasted a bit like grass! However we were both in agreement the chips were delicious especially the seasoning. As we had further plans we asked for the bill at the bar to save waiting. 1x pint and 2x burgers totalled around £28. I found this quite expensive but we paid and left. It wasn't until we were in a taxi we checked our bill and found we had been charged £2.50 EACH for the chips?! We were both under the impression due to the wording on the menu that the side was including in the price. Nor did the server state we had to pay extra when he was asking what sides we wanted with our burger. Yes the chips were the best part of the meal but £5 for two small portions is very steep especially when you're not expecting to pay extra. Wouldn't return.

1  Thank Danielle H
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We stayed at the Hilton on Deansgate for a couple of days and I absolutely loved the fact that all I had to do was literally walk around the corner to find a smokehouse restaurant. It's worth saying I am a huge fan of any meat, although steak clearly being my favourite. When we went in the restaurant we were told by the manager that they were currently at full capacity and wouldn't be able to accommodate us just yet however he was very kind and clearly considerate as he offered to take my number and give us a call as soon as they had a table free for us. We just went downstairs to the pub and had a drink and soon enough he let us know they now had a space.

Service was fantastic, straight away the staff were there to welcome us and did so in a very friendly manner. We were lucky enough to get a nice window seat to overlook the Deansgate road for a bit of people watching in between courses! Drinks were brought straight away, which is always a bonus for me.

The menu itself I thought was very good and it took me a little while to choose which of the steaks to have. In the end I opted for the 14Oz Rib-eye on the bone and by God that was the right decision to make. The meat was so beautifully cooked with a true authentic smokey taste, you can actually see it being cooked through the glass partition so you can see for yourself the quality of meat going in. Succulent and full of flavour the meat on it's own was perfection for me and the side portions are pretty decent too, although I have to confess it was a struggle to clear the plate.

Plates cleared and with a bit of a breather out on the terrace we went for dessert. Winter Berry Mess is definitely recommended, nice to see there's clearly seasonal menu changes too so I will definitely be visiting again when I'm staying.

The food is amazing here and I couldn't fault anything at all, we like the smokehouse old restaurant feel and the atmosphere was great with it being a busy night. I'll definitely be going back there when I get the chance and I'll be recommending it to anyone I know in the area as the value and service for a small restaurant is outstanding. With it's location too it really is a hidden gem.

So thank you 3TwentyOne and see you again soon! :)

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Pub downstairs was great and helpful, staff in the restaurant were unhelpful they just wanted to get home cause there was no food, rung up the day before asking if we needed to buck a table and they just said no come in, my wife was looking forward to it so they messed up our anniversary

1  Thank Edd E
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We have visited twice and will keep coming back when we come to Manchester. The staff are really nice and attentive, the surroundings stylish and relaxed. There is also a roof terrace which is great when the weather is sunny. The quality of the food is excellent, cooked really well and tasty. Good selection of beers too- Brooklyn is excellent. Try the box selection for two, full of tasty ribs, pulled pork, half roast chicken, chick wings, onion rings and sweet potatoes, sweet corn cobs- delicious. It's a tad on the pricey side though at £40, could do with smaller box at £30 as we struggled to eat it all! I recommend it, go and try it