“Didn't feel Safe”

Manchester City FC Behind-the-Scenes Tour of Etihad Stadium
Ranked #4 of 187 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Come and visit the home of the Manchester City Football Club and explore the heritage through the unique memorabilia and interactive displays, reliving the greatest moments and discovering what makes City the Club that it is today. Take in the view of the Etihad from the Directors’ Seating area and visit one of the Club's superb hospitality areas. Take your seat in the press room, sit behind the press desk and through your own eyes, experience the feelings and emotions Manuel Pellegrini and the first team players feel when conducting a press conference. Visit the players’ lounge, get warmed up in the players warm up room and then venture into the inner sanctum of the dressing room. Sit in your favourite player’s seat before heading to tunnel. Stand in the tunnel and experience the roar of 55,000 supporters, then walk pitch side and take in the panoramic view of the Etihad Stadium. Sit in Manuel Pellegrini’s seat in the dugout and feel the big match excitement.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Baby buggy parking, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I went to see Take That here a couple of years ago and wouldn't go again (to this stadium, not to see Take That!).
Security staff were rude, arrogant and unhelpful. Everyone seemed to be really drunk so felt like they weren't thinking about safety at all just money, people were drinking wine out of a bottle and it was a very hot day. There was a lot of trouble once inside.
My main concern was the exit and entrances on to the pitch. Their doorways are no wider than 2 people and when everyone was leaving it was like a stampede!! Very un nerving. I was with young family and didn't feel safe. If there had been an emergency I don't know what would have happened. The only large entrance is at the back.
Horrible place with not a nice feel. Definitely put me off going to future concerts there.

There are newer reviews for Etihad Stadium

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having supported City since I was a boy (2001) I never got round to visiting the stadium tour until last month when I got an early birthday treat and I was not left disappointed. The tour guide was excellent, adding in some great humour and its just a shame I can't remember his name. The facilities are excellent but as construction was happening at the time of the tour, the stadium wasn't in the best of shape but the stadium looked great. The tour lasts for an hour and a half and you get to see all the behind the scenes of the club and its truly fascinating to view. I would fully recommend the tour to any City or football fan.

vlstansfield, Guest Relations Manager at Etihad Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thanks for your very positive comments. As you say the stadium is suffering from a bit of building disruption at the present but still very welcoming.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I'd promised my 10 year old son a tour of the Etihad for his birthday treat, but wasn't quite sure what to expect. The whole thing lasted about two hours but went by in a flash. It wasn't a match day so there weren't the usual match day parking restrictions and we were able to drive onto the campus and parked just behind the City Store. The tour wasn't all City fans (there was even a United fan, who was treated kindly enough :-)) but there was plenty of mention of City being reigning champions. Jeff, the tour guide, was friendly, professional, and engaging. There was a lot of interesting history, but it wasn't too talky to bore the little ones. Having a crossbar challenge in the players' warm-up room about half way round was a nice touch to keep things interactive (and Leo, my son, got a nice big cheer for his success). The City Store was very busy afterwards, and we spent an hour and a half getting souvenirs (at 10% off with the stadium tour lanyard) so factor that in when you visit.
I'm really happy we did this; it'll provide happy memories for years to come.

vlstansfield, Guest Relations Manager at Etihad Stadium, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

That is a very comprehensive review which I shall pass on to Jeff, Thank you!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

This stadium was built for football !! Wherever you sit you get a great view !! And the atmosphere is electric .. Go pay a visit to city square before the game for a beer and a snack in one of the great bars .. Once been never forgot !! Enjoy..

2  Thank lee t
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We have been to matches at Old Trafford but have never visited the Man City grounds. On the recommendation of the doorman at our hotel we decided to do a tour there. If was very handy as we could take the tram from town to the grounds. The stop was called Etihad Campus. We were directed to take the stop after however and due to that missed the start of a tour by a few minutes. I found it slightly annoying that we couldn't just catch them up as they were still walking across the parking lot when we were getting our tickets. :( We just went and got a coffee and waited for the next tour. It was actually a good thing as we enjoyed our tour guide - Paul Devlin very much. He had a lot of great insights and you could tell he had a love for the team and their history.
On the downside being the off season there was cleaning and filming going on so we had to adapt a bit for that. We got to go into a box seating area rather than the directors box. We visited the locker rooms and the press room.
We live in Dallas and after doing the Cowboys Stadium tour it is unfair to compare them. I would say that the it was fun to see the behind the scenes bits and if you are in the area is worth visiting. We might do Old Trafford next time.