“first class accomodation and excellant staff/Maureen port glasgow”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #44 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 10 November 2011

stayed at the place with my daugher and grandson 18 to 20 oct 2011 arrived and was told we had an upgrade to 2 bedroom flat which was spotless .We also had some food at the hotel and this was good value for money as the food was excellant .The whole staff at this hotel were brilliant just to finish of now i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for your excellent review. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for The Place Aparthotel

Reviewed 9 November 2011

I am not a 'moaner', let me start by saying that, but when I pay £100 for a night in a hotel I expect, and believe I have a right to expect, certain fundamental things...

We booked an overnight stay with friends to experience Manchester night life & cuisine, & failed miserably on all 3 counts + found a very smelly taxi driver in the process! Two of our group had stayed recently on a hen night, & in all fairness had really enjoyed every aspect of their stay at this hotel (which is why we booked), and in fairness to the hotel its important to balance my comments below with this. (Only negative for their visit was that no pub on Canal street would let them in - they don't do hen parties apparently, which really spoiled things for them).

The building & fit out is superb; an experience in itself that my words can't do justice to. It's great to see such good use being made of these old landmark buildings, and well worth a look. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment, which at first glance was very well appointed, and somewhere you'd really like to live (assuming you a fan of city life, or Manchester, neither of which is that appealing to me).

My complaint / objections began at bed time. Words cannot describe the bed, and the pillows were worse, but I'll have a go ... Concrete. Kerb-stones. Mortuary slab. Neck & spine-achingly uncomfortable. Haven't felt this bad since the car crash & resultant whiplash. I need an osteopath... No, I seem to have managed it, & that about sums it up! I rang reception (1am ish, not late for a hotel) - no answer. Went out into the central area & spoke to someone on a floor below who said he'd get me some softer pillows. Half hour later he turns up with 'slightly' thinner versions of the originals, which were a slimmer but equally horrible version, so I tried using the cushions from the settee as pillows; I tried sleeping 'on' the settee; I tried taking the main cushions off the settee & sleeping on the floor, even tried putting the main settee cushions on the bed, which put me about 4 foot off the ground... etc. You name the permutation & I tried it, but could get no sleep no how, apart from about 2 hours of exhausted collapse. I was up at 2, 3, 5, several stops in-between, & eventually gave up at 7am! We paid £103.00 per couple for this privilege (£206.00 total room cost), & at that price, I at the very least expect a decent nights sleep ... What else do you need from a hotel!

We got in at 11 & tried to order food, but they were only doing sandwiches (we were told restaurant service ended at a certain time & then room service took over - no one said they only did sarnies!). At checkout we were offered no recompense for the situation (not that we expected any) - We were however told the Manager would ring us to discuss the matter, but he hasn't.

Yes, I could have complained & asked for another room, but at midnight, when you're not the only occupant, you don't tend to do that (our friends had an equally crap bed, nights sleep etc. but were bluntly too drunk to care). Breakfast was adequate but nothing special, adequate service generally, very pricey bar (£7.50 dbl Vodka & coke - centre Manchester £3.00 - £3.50 for the same thing!).

Fantastic hotel, lovely room, visit spoilt by a crap bed & pillows. NB - Premier Inn offers a range of 3 types of pillow in every room, and next time I'll probably be going there, as 'the Place' won't be my place of choice again.

Room Tip: Ask to test the bed & pillows before you accept the room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank RMP1963

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is disappointing to hear you found our beds and pillows less than satisfactory and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise. We are currently undergoing a program of refurbishment which includes new beds and pillows.

It is a shame you will not be returning to The Place Hotel as I am sure you would be delighted with the quality of the new beds provided.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

A perfect base for a days shopping followed by a night on the town. We were amazed at the size of our 2 bedroom apartment that we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to by the friendly staff at the apartments. I loved the design of the building and the way that the rooms surround a central annexe, creating a very spacious and lively atmosphere. It makes you feel like this is the place to be in Manchester! We could not pick fault with the apartments in any way, shape or form. We were incredibly happy with our stay at the apartments and will definately be using them again next time we stay in Manchester.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your excellent review. It is very gratifying to hear you renjoyed your stay and will be returning in the future.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

We enjoyed another one night stay in this fabulous accommodation last month. The location is just great, being so close to the station and the hustle and bustle of Piccadilly without getting all the noise.

The staff are really welcoming, polite, friendly and very efficient. The apartments are spotless, roomy and well equipped, perfect for longer stays too especially if you're staying with children. It was nice for our party of four girls to be able to chill in the lounge area of the apartment, before and after we had been out, instead of being squashed in a hotel room.

There are lots of facilities on offer that we haven't yet tried as we are usually on a flying visit, but we are due to stay again later this month, so maybe we'll have a little more time to explore what's available.

Oh yes, we had an upgrade to one of the Penthouses, that we had stayed in previously, so that made us feel very special indeed. Thanks The Place!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Apartment Hotel concept and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

I recently stayed at the place while working out of Manchester for 2 weeks, and definitely was pleased with The Place.
**For any extended stays, Apartment Hotels really are the way to go. Getting the luxury of home while staying away. The layout of the apartments are tight, but overall the rooms were spacious! Rooms had exposed brick on the walls which were really neat, bathrooms were good size and clean as well.
The overall hotel was also really apealing from their restaurant, workout room, etc.
**The location of the hotel couldnt be better as well. Just a short walk to the downtown bars and restaurants, and right next to the train station. Cant beat it. Great place.
**Pretty tough on security after hours too, so pretty secure place.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank HuskerFan2009
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back for business or pleasure in the future.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed at the place for only 2 nights, Monday and Tuesday, check in is quite late, 3pm, but we forgave that as they offered us a free room upgrade as it was my partners birthday. When I say room I'm not doing the place justice, it was bigger that my home, consisting of 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a huge lounge dinning room with open plan kitchen (fridge freezer cooker, dishwasher and everything you could possibly need including a small bottle of milk in the fridge) and utility room complete with washing machine and iron etc. the place was clean, warm, quiet and I personally loved the open brick work to the ceilings.
I need to print concert tickets on one of the days and Danielle on reception was extremely helpful in getting that done for me.
the location is perfect for the train and tram stops and also for the short walk to the main shopping street, you can also park onside for £9 per 24hrs.

The only negative comment I have to give is that the bed was very firm, a little too firm for me as I could feel the springs to a small degree.

When I return to Manchester I will defiantly be staying here again and I would recommend to others as well.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review and your comments regarding the facilities, and staff that you dealt with during your stay, I will ensure that your comments are passed on to Danielle. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed in 2 apartments at The Place as a large hen party and it was great. There was plenty of space for us all to get ready - each apartment had en suite bathrooms for each bedroom which helped alot!
They are quite strict with security after 11pm which is good so you feel quite safe here as it is only a stones throw away from the station.
The only negative would be that the cleaners set the dishwasher off after the last guests but didn't empty it so you didn't know if it was clean. Also there was a half drunk bottle of coke left in the fridge and butter - again, didn't know who had used so could have been thrown away really.
The towel rails in bathrooms were far too hot, making the rooms unbearably hot and the open corridors outside the apartments had lights that never dimmed so making bedrooms pretty light.
Although it sounds negative, it really wasn't, just little niggles that could be addressed.
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend to any large groups looking for accommodation!

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Customer feedback is vitally important as it enables us to identify areas where we can improve our level of service. I will ensure that we address the points you raised with the housekeeping and maintenance departments. Thank you again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to The Place Hotel in the future.