“Enjoyable stay”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

Location of apartments is ideal for the purpose of our stay in manchester with was shopping and goin out. We booked 2 apartments as there was 8 of us girlies . I had emailed asking could they be beside each other which they kindly accommodated . Also I informed them that 4 of us would be arriving in earlier then the other 4 and that we'd b in around half 1 from travelling since 5 the previous night and if one apartment could be ready it would be appreciated . It was ready and all for us when we arrived which was brill. there was coffee tea sugar biscuits and even milk provided !! So thoughtful . brillant place to stay and staff were really nice and friendly. Had a great wknd there and would def recommend it . Will be back.....

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Amynellers
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2011
Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend and found the staff so helpful.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Stayed here for a weekend with 4 other friends in August 2011. We went for a girlie weekend away. We found the apartment very spacious, lovely decorated, very clean, has all the things in the room we required. It was in a great location, just a short walk from Picadilly station and to the shops and for the nightlife of Manchester. It was great all being in one apartment rather than in 2 or 3 rooms in a hotel. We had a night out and came back and all chilled out watching a dvd. And it was great to all get together in the lounge the following morning to laugh about the events of the night before. In fact i could quite happily have lived there!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend so much and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
port glasgow
Reviewed 10 November 2011

stayed at the place with my daugher and grandson 18 to 20 oct 2011 arrived and was told we had an upgrade to 2 bedroom flat which was spotless .We also had some food at the hotel and this was good value for money as the food was excellant .The whole staff at this hotel were brilliant just to finish of now i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your excellent review. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Derbyshire
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I am not a 'moaner', let me start by saying that, but when I pay £100 for a night in a hotel I expect, and believe I have a right to expect, certain fundamental things...

We booked an overnight stay with friends to experience Manchester night life & cuisine, & failed miserably on all 3 counts + found a very smelly taxi driver in the process! Two of our group had stayed recently on a hen night, & in all fairness had really enjoyed every aspect of their stay at this hotel (which is why we booked), and in fairness to the hotel its important to balance my comments below with this. (Only negative for their visit was that no pub on Canal street would let them in - they don't do hen parties apparently, which really spoiled things for them).

The building & fit out is superb; an experience in itself that my words can't do justice to. It's great to see such good use being made of these old landmark buildings, and well worth a look. We booked a 2 bedroom apartment, which at first glance was very well appointed, and somewhere you'd really like to live (assuming you a fan of city life, or Manchester, neither of which is that appealing to me).

My complaint / objections began at bed time. Words cannot describe the bed, and the pillows were worse, but I'll have a go ... Concrete. Kerb-stones. Mortuary slab. Neck & spine-achingly uncomfortable. Haven't felt this bad since the car crash & resultant whiplash. I need an osteopath... No, I seem to have managed it, & that about sums it up! I rang reception (1am ish, not late for a hotel) - no answer. Went out into the central area & spoke to someone on a floor below who said he'd get me some softer pillows. Half hour later he turns up with 'slightly' thinner versions of the originals, which were a slimmer but equally horrible version, so I tried using the cushions from the settee as pillows; I tried sleeping 'on' the settee; I tried taking the main cushions off the settee & sleeping on the floor, even tried putting the main settee cushions on the bed, which put me about 4 foot off the ground... etc. You name the permutation & I tried it, but could get no sleep no how, apart from about 2 hours of exhausted collapse. I was up at 2, 3, 5, several stops in-between, & eventually gave up at 7am! We paid £103.00 per couple for this privilege (£206.00 total room cost), & at that price, I at the very least expect a decent nights sleep ... What else do you need from a hotel!

We got in at 11 & tried to order food, but they were only doing sandwiches (we were told restaurant service ended at a certain time & then room service took over - no one said they only did sarnies!). At checkout we were offered no recompense for the situation (not that we expected any) - We were however told the Manager would ring us to discuss the matter, but he hasn't.

Yes, I could have complained & asked for another room, but at midnight, when you're not the only occupant, you don't tend to do that (our friends had an equally crap bed, nights sleep etc. but were bluntly too drunk to care). Breakfast was adequate but nothing special, adequate service generally, very pricey bar (£7.50 dbl Vodka & coke - centre Manchester £3.00 - £3.50 for the same thing!).

Fantastic hotel, lovely room, visit spoilt by a crap bed & pillows. NB - Premier Inn offers a range of 3 types of pillow in every room, and next time I'll probably be going there, as 'the Place' won't be my place of choice again.

Room Tip: Ask to test the bed & pillows before you accept the room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank RMP1963
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is disappointing to hear you found our beds and pillows less than satisfactory and I would like to take this opportunity to apologise. We are currently undergoing a program of refurbishment which includes new beds and pillows.

It is a shame you will not be returning to The Place Hotel as I am sure you would be delighted with the quality of the new beds provided.
Stoke on Tent
Reviewed 9 November 2011

A perfect base for a days shopping followed by a night on the town. We were amazed at the size of our 2 bedroom apartment that we were fortunate enough to be upgraded to by the friendly staff at the apartments. I loved the design of the building and the way that the rooms surround a central annexe, creating a very spacious and lively atmosphere. It makes you feel like this is the place to be in Manchester! We could not pick fault with the apartments in any way, shape or form. We were incredibly happy with our stay at the apartments and will definately be using them again next time we stay in Manchester.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your excellent review. It is very gratifying to hear you renjoyed your stay and will be returning in the future.
UK
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We enjoyed another one night stay in this fabulous accommodation last month. The location is just great, being so close to the station and the hustle and bustle of Piccadilly without getting all the noise.

The staff are really welcoming, polite, friendly and very efficient. The apartments are spotless, roomy and well equipped, perfect for longer stays too especially if you're staying with children. It was nice for our party of four girls to be able to chill in the lounge area of the apartment, before and after we had been out, instead of being squashed in a hotel room.

There are lots of facilities on offer that we haven't yet tried as we are usually on a flying visit, but we are due to stay again later this month, so maybe we'll have a little more time to explore what's available.

Oh yes, we had an upgrade to one of the Penthouses, that we had stayed in previously, so that made us feel very special indeed. Thanks The Place!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the Apartment Hotel concept and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I recently stayed at the place while working out of Manchester for 2 weeks, and definitely was pleased with The Place.
**For any extended stays, Apartment Hotels really are the way to go. Getting the luxury of home while staying away. The layout of the apartments are tight, but overall the rooms were spacious! Rooms had exposed brick on the walls which were really neat, bathrooms were good size and clean as well.
The overall hotel was also really apealing from their restaurant, workout room, etc.
**The location of the hotel couldnt be better as well. Just a short walk to the downtown bars and restaurants, and right next to the train station. Cant beat it. Great place.
**Pretty tough on security after hours too, so pretty secure place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HuskerFan2009
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to welcoming you back for business or pleasure in the future.