“Check In Chaos”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #45 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I notified the hotel that we would be arriving early and they didn't guarantee a room early but check in was a disaster. We arrived at lunchtime and were told there were no rooms available to go away and come back in 90mins so we did that. Ali at the front desk said there were still no rooms so if we waited in the bar he would let us know when a room was ready. We sat there for at least another 90mins then noticed others being given rooms so went back to reception. We were told that our room was now available and offered a free upgrade to a two bedroom apartment, as we had two bookings - one for the first night and another for the following 10 nights, we declined the upgrade as we didn't want to have to move rooms. We get up to the room allocated (510) and discover it's a two bedroom apartment which we thought was odd but waited for our luggage to be delivered. Next thing we know there are a group of people outside the apartment staring in the window who then open the door - they've been allocated the same room. So down to reception I go and find out we've been given the wrong room. Get keys for the correct room (516) and confirm that our luggage will go to the correct room. I'm told that our luggage has already been taken to the correct room. Go back upstairs in the slowest lift ever and move to the correct room. Luggage is in the room but it's not ours which then has two staff members attend wanting description of our bags and to remove someone else's missing luggage. Our bags arrive a short time later with lots of apologizes. Room is okay. Kitchen floor squeaks cronically near the bedroom but not a major concern, Bathroom is large but everything is at one end and poorly designed. Shower over the bath but at the narrowest point so difficult to stand and hard to get in and out off due to placement of the toilet. Toilet roll difficult to reach and cord for exhaust fan so high that I couldn't even reach it standing on the toilet. Breakfast was fine everyday but there was a food warmer that wouldn't stay shut and kept banging all the time - I'm surprised that this was perservered with every day rather than replaced. On the second day I left something in the room and had to go upstairs to get it whilst my husband finishds breakfast to find that I can't get into the room so off to reception I go again. We also had a problem with the toilet not flushing on the first night to be told that mainentence weren't available to look at because of the time so a staff member came up and turned the water off then turned it back on which seemed to fixed the issue. We had to do this several times. Bed was okay but but every other hotel/apartment we've stayed in had queen or king sized beds so the double took a bit of getting used too and my husband said it felt uncomfortable on his side. Central heating was excellent and having a washing machine was great but we couldn't work out how to get it to dry (instruction books are helpful). There was also no notification that if events were held in the bistro that the music could clearly be heard on all floors due to the support columns from the original building. Most hotels generally have a midnight limit for functions but no the music continued until 2.00am. We didn't bother to complain but some notification would have been nice. Other than Ali on the first day the staff were friendly and the young guy who was working in the breakfast area for the first 4 days was really friendly. Hotel location made up for a lot of the issues that we experienced as it was convenient to everything and made getting around Manchester simple.

Room Tip: Get one on the opposite side to the bistro areas
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for all the issues you encountered during your stay. I have investigated fully and the individuals involved are now being re-trained to avoid a repeat of these problems. I would very much like to discuss this matter with you. Please contact me direct at the hotel and I will be delighted to try and regain your faith.

There are newer reviews for The Place Aparthotel

Reviewed 3 December 2011

really well converted warehouse (?), comfortable beds, fully fitted kitchen, four beds (one double, three single) fully fitted kitchen, two bathrooms, great for families, central location, among one of the best hotels I have stayed in, in terms of room quality, and that with what must have been at the bottom end of the pricing, brilliant

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for your excellent review. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Location great, next to Piccadilly station, the size of the apartments are great and you dont feel squeezed in, handy for getting around the city, quality very good. Would use this place again if I am in Manchester.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ExiledinAberdeen

Reviewed 18 November 2011

My wife and I stayed for 1 night on 15th Nov for a leisure stay.
There are many positives about the hotel, but they woefully under-achieved in providing a comfortable night's sleep (surely the principle function of a hotel?) - both the bed and the pillows were very hard and of poor quality. Other factors that lowered the standard were 1)cheap laminate flooring. 2) poor lighting in the bathroom. 3) no air conditioning or electric fan 4) no secondary double glazing (in fairness our room - 513 - overlooked a quiet part of the City so it was quiet, but I imagine other rooms may not be so lucky?) 5) cheap lino flooring in the lift 'vestibule' on floor five 6) no device to keep the window open and the latches were damaged.
The position of the hotel is great and we loved the 'quirky' conversion of this lovely old warehouse. The kitchen and sitting room were very well equipped. The downstairs facilities were very good and the buffet breakfast was excellent value. Most importantly every single member of the staff was superb.

Room Tip: Don't overlook a busy road - no double glazing
1  Thank orion1nottingham

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. It is good to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and found the staff helpful.

With regards to the room itself I would like to apologise for shortfalls you found. I have personnally inspected your room and remedial work has now taken place to correct the issues. You will be pleased to hear we are currently refurbishing the apartments and this includes new beds.

Thank you once again for writing your review a\nd I hope you will return to see the improvements we are making.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

October 2011. Second visit. We chose this converted warehouse for its central location being 5 minites walk from the main shops and adjacent to Piccadilly Station. For the price I think it was excellent value.
We arrived at mid-day and asked to book in-no problem but they gave us a free upgrade to larger apartment as ours not ready. Parking only £9 per day and allowed to leave car in underground secure park on day of our departure for several extra hours at no extra charge. Apartment was huge and airy. All mod cons including safe, hairdrier, washing machine, tumble drier, dishwasher, ipod doc, DVD player etc. Lots of fancy toiletries in the two bathrooms. We were four people in a two bedroom apt. Could sleep six as our bedroom had two double beds. Very comfortable and recently refurbished. Beautiful original brickwork. Rooms were quiet, only a bit of street noise in the early morning (we were on 6th floor I think). Pleasantly surprised that they have added a gym but only bit dissappointed that TV was not on and a couple of the few machines seemed not to be plugged in. Still enjoyed a tranquil 45 mins alone though. Small but pretty bar and relaxing area in the foyer. Reception staff very friendly and helpful. Apartment and all areas seemed very clean. A nice touch to provide welcome pack of necessary kitchen supplies such as tea,coffee and washing up liquid, washing tablets etc. Did not eat at hotel but restaurant appeared classy. Thank you to the Place for a perfect stay in Manchester. And it did not rain!!

Room Tip: I suspect that lower floors may be a little noisy?
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Frankieessex_11

Thank you for taking the time to write your excellent review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our facilities.

I have checked your comments regarding the gym area. The two machines that are not plugged in are powered by the cycling motion and only come on when the pedals are being turned.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Location of apartments is ideal for the purpose of our stay in manchester with was shopping and goin out. We booked 2 apartments as there was 8 of us girlies . I had emailed asking could they be beside each other which they kindly accommodated . Also I informed them that 4 of us would be arriving in earlier then the other 4 and that we'd b in around half 1 from travelling since 5 the previous night and if one apartment could be ready it would be appreciated . It was ready and all for us when we arrived which was brill. there was coffee tea sugar biscuits and even milk provided !! So thoughtful . brillant place to stay and staff were really nice and friendly. Had a great wknd there and would def recommend it . Will be back.....

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Amynellers

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend and found the staff so helpful.

Reviewed 11 November 2011

Stayed here for a weekend with 4 other friends in August 2011. We went for a girlie weekend away. We found the apartment very spacious, lovely decorated, very clean, has all the things in the room we required. It was in a great location, just a short walk from Picadilly station and to the shops and for the nightlife of Manchester. It was great all being in one apartment rather than in 2 or 3 rooms in a hotel. We had a night out and came back and all chilled out watching a dvd. And it was great to all get together in the lounge the following morning to laugh about the events of the night before. In fact i could quite happily have lived there!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted you enjoyed your weekend so much and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.