“A Good Experience”

Ranked #36 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Knutsford, United Kingdom
“A Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Great location, the apartments were very good and clean with everything you could need, but there was no air-conditioning and it was very hot so trying to sleep with no air was uncomfortable. We were there for two nights - a Friday and Saturday and because it was hot we had to open the windows to get some air and they open on to a courtyard, so that meant it was very noisey all night so not a good nights sleep. Staff were pleasant and helpful so I would recommend it from a location point of view and all other aspects but if you are a light sleeper and it is warm weather I wouldn't recommend it for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't open into the courtyard will be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for you kind review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately, as the building has a Grade II listing we are limited to what we can do with regard to air conditioning. However it is only on the hottest days, which are few and far between in Manchester, that we have requests for more fans which we will gladly supply.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Oulu, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We were in the Place apartment hotel a week ago for 5 nights. It was our 4th time there. Hotel building is very nice and the apartments are very handy. Also the location of the hotel is perfect near Piccadilly station, shops and also nice pubs in short walking distance.
We were in one bedroom apartment and it was a bit refurbished since our last visit. In bedroom, there were new wallpaper and carpet. It looked nice now but unfortunately in the rest of the apartment was not done any overhauling. In my opinion it needs new flooring(old flooring look very grungy) and toilet should make totally new. There was mould in the shower corner and around the sink. I found it also from the fridge..
Cleaning was better than in our earlier visits. White socks were almost white after walking in the apartment...and there was not dust on the floor. On the floor of shower corner was hair when I took my first shower, nothing is more disgusting than this!!
Staff were helpfull and friendly as always.
Despite of all this we will return to The Place. Manchester is fabulous city and when we get back to this hotel we know what we can wait for.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in cleanliness you have encountered. It is totally unacceptable to hear of these issues and I can assure you I will be investigating them thoroughly.

I am delighted however to hear you will be returning in the future to give us an opportunity to correct these issues. In future please feel free to contact me direct during your stay as I would always prefer the chance to put things right whilst you are with us.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

the cleaning of the floor and the bathrooms very bad , we start working all the night to clean every thing and they dont have concierge to help you for the luggage you have to do it yourself , and its 4 star hotel.
only the location was good , and reception staff are nice they wants to help but what can they do ....??!!! i will not think to stay there

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I am very concerned to hear of the problems you encountered and would like to take this opportunity to apologise. Some of the cleanliness issues are inexcusable and action is now being taken.

If however you had brought these issues to our attention during your stay we would have gladly put them right. I am concerned however that you would remove a covering floor panel to expose plugs to take a close up picture which is really not representative of the hotel.

As we offer a luggage porter service, indeed we regularly we take our long stay guest luggage to the station for them, I am at a loss to understand your comments regarding this.

Thank you once again for taking the time to pass on your review. Unfortunately we are unable to identify you from this feedback to discuss the matter further. I would however like the opportunity to regain your faith, please contact me direct at the hotel discuss.
London, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel itself is really nice, the apartments are large and the location excellent. However, I was astounded at just how bad the level of cleaning was. When we arrived there was hair in both showers and all the mugs in the cupboards were dirty; and i don't mean that they had a speck of dirt, I mean disgustingly covered in coffee grime. We've been here a week, the cleaners come in late, and all they ever do is take out the garbage (sometimes they forget to do that too) and put in the dishwasher, without using any soap. The bedsheets have never been changed and they've never used any cleaning stuff anywhere in the apartment. I've never in my life stayed in a 4 star hotel with such appaling cleaning practices. And the other problem is, it's unbearably hot in the apartment. The towel rails in the bathroom are burning hot so walking in there is like walking in a sauna, and we need to keep all the windows open to be able to sleep, which means goodbye to a quiet night.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Hekate P
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I would like to pass on my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service you received.

I have discussed the issues you have raised with the two managers you spoke to on the last day of your stay, further to the investigation that was carried out we identified that the dishwasher rinse cycle was broken, however if this had been brought to our attention earlier we could of resolved this for you. Regarding the issue of the heat of the room, as discussed with my management team at the time of your call, this is a controllable factor within each apartment, as your heated towel rail was on this explains the heat in your bathroom, and as discussed could have been switched off if you wished not to have heated towels or the bathroom got too warm. We also provide fans that can be found in your utility cupboard, and as pointed out in your room compendium.

Again, further to our investigation we have identified your room was serviced 3 times throughout your stay, the use of cleaning products are used as standard, however at any point throughout your stay if you would have raised concerns regarding the cleanliness we would have appreciated the opportunity to correct or address these areas whilst you were in house. Due to the nature of our business, and long term stays we change linen every other day unless otherwise requested, again, if you would have requested this we would have been only too happy to oblige.

We pride ourselves on the quality of accommodation and service we offer and this is born out in the reviews on this site and other websites. We do occasionally get things wrong and are happy to put them right when they are brought to our attention.
I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the hotel and with that in mind please contact me direct and I will be happy to discuss this with you.
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

Great spot close to Picadilly station. Efficient, friendly welcome. The rooms were spacious and it is nice to be able to open the window.Well equipped kitchen - it was easy to cook in it. Also, it was handy to use the washing/drying machine. The staff were always helpful when we asked about anything. This would be my first choice when returning to Manchester.

Room Tip: Enjoyed looking over the canal
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your excellent review. It is great to hear we are your preferred hotel in Manchester.
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

The last couple of times I was in Manchester The Place has been fully booked, so I've had to stay in other hotels - some of which were downright horrible. So I was very pleased to be back at The Place. All the staff are just lovely and so helpful. The apartment we stayed in was nice and big and had everything we needed. Also, it was clean. Actually, my only complaint is that I couldn't get the shampoo out of the bottles they provided in the bathroom.
Close to both Arndale and Picadelly station so it's perfect!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write your excellent review. I am delighted to hear you enjoy staying with us so much and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.