“Brilliant Location for central Manchester”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Stayed here with my husband last weekend.The hotel itself is really beautiful. But from day one we had lots to complain about. But it was sorted out ASAP.
The location is excellent. As it was ideal for Piccadillly Station,Picaddilly Gardens,The Arndale Centre,Shops,Bars,Restrurants,and Clubs.

On arrival we was very disapointing about the parking situation.We have a blue badge and there are only two spaces on the outside of Hotel where there is a small drop of and collection point.There is a secure under ground parking but this is just normal car spaces.We think this needs to be looked at immediately. The car parking FEE should be FREE, as the rooms are prices enough.Also you should be able to reserve a car parking space before arriving.

The small disable lift was broken the full two days we where there.
We received a complimentary upgrade to a two bedroomed apartment when we checked in (20 mins early too!).Which we thought was fantastic.

The 2 bedroomed apartment was really huge we could have lived there. The lounge was fantastic,with a large comfortable settee and large easy chair,1 small table, dining table with 4 chairs,coffee table and a large flat TV ,DVD player. The two bedrooms where large,both had decent comforty beds,with clean bedding and flat panel TVs .One bedroom had a safe in which we thought was a brilliant idea. The lounge and one of the bedroom had large windows (like doors) which opened on to the atrium so you need the blinds down when you are in the rooms. There is a possibility that it could get quite noisy if the all the apartments where fully occupied Also not really safe as anyone could enter the apartement. We where not happy about that so we kept the windows shut .Also not very private during the day-time as people walking by can look straight in unless you shut the blinds. I know that this probably won't bother most people, but I like my privicy.One bedroom had and en suite with a shower and no bath which was clean,with a small bottle of shampoo,condition,shower gel and body lotion.The other bathroom had a bath/shower.We did not used this one as it smelt really bad of damp/musty.The white towels in both bathrooms where clean but very rough and hard,they need to use a fabric softener.
First imprssion on the kitchen was it looked reallly good.However,very disapointed that when we went to put food in the freezer,around 3:15pm it was not working at all.We reported it straight away. Two maintanace guys came very quickly .looked it over ,messed about .Then said that it may have been that the freezer had been defrosted earlier today and to give it a few hours.Which we did and still by 7:30pm it was still the same not working,Reported this again.We where then sent a cleaner to deal with this,she tried her best but nothing.She admitted she did not know what was wrong,But to be fair it was not her job.We were told that it was on the list for the maintanace to deal with, but it would be10:30am the following day.So we had to cooked a meal for a late tea.Instead of going down to the resturant for a meal,as we had planned on the 1st night.We had to throw away quite a of food.As we had know where to keep it frozen.
After this we looked around the apartment to see if everything else was working properly.And check that we had everything.We noticed a few things where missing or broken ,or needed attention.

Next day we reported everything to reception,as we had a lot go wrong we where upgraded not only to another apartement but to a penthouse.

“Wow“ the penthouse was our first reaction.

Sadly the still s few problems one downfall to the penthouse apartment are the stairs to the upper floor (kitchen and living room )we expect all on one floor accomadation. The kitchen looks brilliant, but then we open the kitchen cupboard under the sink and bin was full of rubbish the cleaners had not taken it out. bathroom doors need to be sorted as faulty .There was now patio table and chairs to sit if you where abe to go out on to the roof patio.It sound as though there is no proper guttering, so when it rains as it did on the Saturday night till Sunday mornning .It was really noisy as the rain sounded as thought it was hamming down onto the part-glazed ceilings of bedrooms.But definitely more privacy than the apartments.We found out by accident that the penthouses get a special glass lift on the outside of the building. But if you are in a wheelchair or not find it hard to climb stairs its not disable friendly trying to get there.You need your key to access the building and the lift from the ground floor upwards.We used the lift to come down on Sunday morning, as it was still raining and did not know but we had to walk all the way around to the front of the hotel to gain acess to it ,which is a real pain when its raining .Needs to be thought about so guests in the penthouses can gain acccess once on ground floor.
A few things not 100% in the restaurant but nothing mayor.We had breakfast on both mornings which we thought was very reasonable. It was help yourself which we we did and both loved.There was extras on the menu,which you can order which is also included in the price.I ordered from the menu both mornings. Excellent breakfast 10/10 (Thanks to to chief .)

Wifi is included in the price and available throughout The Place, although the connection drops regularly which means you have to continue clicking on the terms and conditions screen for access,but once I relised this it was ok.

All the Staff from reception to cleaners that we met on our stay, where all very nice and very courteous and very professional (especially Tori” many Thanks once again for all your help)nothing was too much trouble for her to make our stay better.We have stayed at a number of hotels and serviced apartments throughout the UK.Even though we have had a lot of issues,they where sorted out and and we would highly recommend The Place Apartmnets, and will most definitely be staying here again. Most definitely the best place we have stayed in Manchester!.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Dear Lolita H,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. On the whole I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and my team dealt with you courteously and efficiently.

I have looked into all the issues you have raised and where possible will look at solutions to remedy them in the future.

If you are returning to Manchester in the future please contact me direct at the hotel and I will personally handle your booking to ensure the highest levels of service are received.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed here for a friends birthday weekend and was extremely impressed by the quality of the accommodation and price. Worked out cheaper than staying at a well know 'budget' hotel chain.

Would highly recommend and will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: July 2012
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted you think of us so highly and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Great location, the apartments were very good and clean with everything you could need, but there was no air-conditioning and it was very hot so trying to sleep with no air was uncomfortable. We were there for two nights - a Friday and Saturday and because it was hot we had to open the windows to get some air and they open on to a courtyard, so that meant it was very noisey all night so not a good nights sleep. Staff were pleasant and helpful so I would recommend it from a location point of view and all other aspects but if you are a light sleeper and it is warm weather I wouldn't recommend it for a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't open into the courtyard will be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for you kind review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. Unfortunately, as the building has a Grade II listing we are limited to what we can do with regard to air conditioning. However it is only on the hottest days, which are few and far between in Manchester, that we have requests for more fans which we will gladly supply.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Reviewed 30 July 2012

We were in the Place apartment hotel a week ago for 5 nights. It was our 4th time there. Hotel building is very nice and the apartments are very handy. Also the location of the hotel is perfect near Piccadilly station, shops and also nice pubs in short walking distance.
We were in one bedroom apartment and it was a bit refurbished since our last visit. In bedroom, there were new wallpaper and carpet. It looked nice now but unfortunately in the rest of the apartment was not done any overhauling. In my opinion it needs new flooring(old flooring look very grungy) and toilet should make totally new. There was mould in the shower corner and around the sink. I found it also from the fridge..
Cleaning was better than in our earlier visits. White socks were almost white after walking in the apartment...and there was not dust on the floor. On the floor of shower corner was hair when I took my first shower, nothing is more disgusting than this!!
Staff were helpfull and friendly as always.
Despite of all this we will return to The Place. Manchester is fabulous city and when we get back to this hotel we know what we can wait for.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in cleanliness you have encountered. It is totally unacceptable to hear of these issues and I can assure you I will be investigating them thoroughly.

I am delighted however to hear you will be returning in the future to give us an opportunity to correct these issues. In future please feel free to contact me direct during your stay as I would always prefer the chance to put things right whilst you are with us.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

the cleaning of the floor and the bathrooms very bad , we start working all the night to clean every thing and they dont have concierge to help you for the luggage you have to do it yourself , and its 4 star hotel.
only the location was good , and reception staff are nice they wants to help but what can they do ....??!!! i will not think to stay there

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I am very concerned to hear of the problems you encountered and would like to take this opportunity to apologise. Some of the cleanliness issues are inexcusable and action is now being taken.

If however you had brought these issues to our attention during your stay we would have gladly put them right. I am concerned however that you would remove a covering floor panel to expose plugs to take a close up picture which is really not representative of the hotel.

As we offer a luggage porter service, indeed we regularly we take our long stay guest luggage to the station for them, I am at a loss to understand your comments regarding this.

Thank you once again for taking the time to pass on your review. Unfortunately we are unable to identify you from this feedback to discuss the matter further. I would however like the opportunity to regain your faith, please contact me direct at the hotel discuss.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel itself is really nice, the apartments are large and the location excellent. However, I was astounded at just how bad the level of cleaning was. When we arrived there was hair in both showers and all the mugs in the cupboards were dirty; and i don't mean that they had a speck of dirt, I mean disgustingly covered in coffee grime. We've been here a week, the cleaners come in late, and all they ever do is take out the garbage (sometimes they forget to do that too) and put in the dishwasher, without using any soap. The bedsheets have never been changed and they've never used any cleaning stuff anywhere in the apartment. I've never in my life stayed in a 4 star hotel with such appaling cleaning practices. And the other problem is, it's unbearably hot in the apartment. The towel rails in the bathroom are burning hot so walking in there is like walking in a sauna, and we need to keep all the windows open to be able to sleep, which means goodbye to a quiet night.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Hekate P
IanHard, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I would like to pass on my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service you received.

I have discussed the issues you have raised with the two managers you spoke to on the last day of your stay, further to the investigation that was carried out we identified that the dishwasher rinse cycle was broken, however if this had been brought to our attention earlier we could of resolved this for you. Regarding the issue of the heat of the room, as discussed with my management team at the time of your call, this is a controllable factor within each apartment, as your heated towel rail was on this explains the heat in your bathroom, and as discussed could have been switched off if you wished not to have heated towels or the bathroom got too warm. We also provide fans that can be found in your utility cupboard, and as pointed out in your room compendium.

Again, further to our investigation we have identified your room was serviced 3 times throughout your stay, the use of cleaning products are used as standard, however at any point throughout your stay if you would have raised concerns regarding the cleanliness we would have appreciated the opportunity to correct or address these areas whilst you were in house. Due to the nature of our business, and long term stays we change linen every other day unless otherwise requested, again, if you would have requested this we would have been only too happy to oblige.

We pride ourselves on the quality of accommodation and service we offer and this is born out in the reviews on this site and other websites. We do occasionally get things wrong and are happy to put them right when they are brought to our attention.
I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in the hotel and with that in mind please contact me direct and I will be happy to discuss this with you.