“Absolutely terrible place!”

Ranked #38 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely terrible place!”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We had the misfortune of staying here. Please do not put yourself through it.

1. Shouting and cheering from a party above us ensured we could get very little sleep, I complained but reception were unhelpful and discourteous.

2. Fire alarm went off due to small fire on ground floor!

3. Shower was broke.

4. Breakfast was overpriced, barely warm, and mostly a slop!

5. Very expensive.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback.
I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and have investigated all your comments.
At week-ends, our clientele includes families, guests looking for a more relaxing stay or a leisure break as well as guests coming to Manchester to experience the city’s busy night life. In order to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay, we have appropriate measures in place to deal with issues such as the noise issue you mentioned by using licensed doormen who can deal with any trouble if necessary.
We also carry out regular floor walks during the night and closely monitor any disruptive behaviour.
Please also note that the hotel operates a strict no party policy as explained on our website.
It is very unfortunate that Reception was only made aware of the problem at 9:15am as we could have dealt with the issue straight away had we been informed sooner.
Regarding the maintenance issue, it was not reported to us at any time. We would have otherwise been pleased to rectify the issue straight away. After inspection however, the shower seems to be working fine and no other guests have reported any issue nor complained about a broken shower in the apartment that you occupied since.
As for breakfast, numerous positive reviews have been posted by other guests and Trip Advisor users who have kindly pointed out that our full English breakfast represents good value for money. Breakfast costs a discounted £6 per person only when booked on arrival. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy breakfast but noticed that it had been taken off your bill as a gesture of good will on check out.
As mentioned, the fire alarm went off in the morning, following a guest related incident. Please note that the fire alarm is there for your safety only and I am pleased to see that thanks to our procedures in place and the swift actions taken by our staff members on shift the incident was rapidly under control.
Finally, our prices are clearly displayed on our own website as well as any other booking websites.
I notice that you booked through Expedia and would highly recommend that you contact them directly should you have any price query.
I am sorry that you feel our Reception staff was discourteous. We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visit possible during their stay; our prices however, are not negotiable upon check-out and threatening the staff to post a negative review on Trip Advisor in exchange for a free stay is not acceptable.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Delivered one day traing course in the Manchester room. Throughout the day never saw anyone from Banquetting or Conference department. All day had to keep on visiting reception to find out arrangements. First time I have worked at a hotel location and not had any contact or support from B & C staff. Not impressed!

Room Tip: Yet to experience rooms overnight. However looks like it could be interesting as they are classed as...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service you encountered. As you can see from other reviews it is not indicative of our normal levels and I will be investigating thoroughly to ensure no repeat.

Unfortunately I cannot ascertain which conference you are refering to from the details left here. If you would like to contact me direct at the hotel, I would like te opportunity to discuss and try and regain your faith.
Skipton
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Great couple of days - apartment was great - not been here for 5 years, so lots of improvements - worth using when in Manchester - it is in a good location; good now that it has a bar, jut wish bath water was hotter!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your great review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and will use us in the future.

Each apartment has its own individual boiler to regulate the water temperature and can be adjusted as required by our team on request.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

My friend and I reserved a 2 bedroom apartment and there was more than enough space for the 2 of us. Whilst I was not wowed by this place it was functional and convenient for our needs. Our apartment was clean but the main bathroom was rather tired looking, a refurbishment is definitely required in the bathroom areas.
I had a drink in the bar whilst waiting for my friend to arrive and I found some foreign matter floating at the bottom of my drink. When I pointed this out to the Bar Staff, they gave me a very unconvincing explanation for this and if true (highly unlikely), is still unacceptable; never the less I was not charged for this drink.
A very definite positive about this aparthotel is the staff, attentive, friendly and efficient without being overbearing.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your kind review. It is very gratifying to hear our levels of service are appreciated.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

This must be abut my fifth time staying here & I must say I am never disappointed. My visit this time was with my brother so we decided to book a 2 bedroomed apartment so we had our own bedroom & bathroom. On check in we had a lovely surprise & were upgraded to one of the penthouses on the 7th floor. The penthouse apartments have their own exclusive glass lift taking you straight up to the 7th floor, which a is a nice little touch.

The apartments themselves are really spacious set over 2 floors. The ground floor has a large entrance hall, 2 bedrooms each with its own bathroom & access to the roof terrace with amazing views over the city. The staircase takes you up to a lovely modern open plan kitchen & there is a large lounge diner area with floor to ceiling windows. Only downside was the furniture was a little dated, however we were advised that they are undergoing a refurb at the moment.

Staff were amazing, really helpful & friendly. Charlotte especially made us feel more than welcome & got us a taxi to the arena (we were running a bit late for the Lady Gaga gig).

The hotel has been vastly improved over the years & it now has a lovely bar & restaurant. I will definitely be staying here again & wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my friends and family.

If you are looking for somewhere central to stay & would like to have lots of space rather than just a basic tiny bedroom then this is "The Place" for you!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your excellent review. I am delighted to hear we upgraded you to one of our Penthouses. We are indeed refurbishing them at the minute and we await the arrival of the final bits of furniture to make them complete.
Liverpool, UK
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

If you are going to stay in Manchester stay here if you can!

Great high quality apartments in a great location just round corner from Manchester Piccadilly rail station and 2 minutes from city centre shops, bars and restaurants.

Clean apartments and public areas.
Spacious rooms
All you need eg tv microwave iron oven washing machine iPod dock etc
Very comfortable beds
Friendly staff

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank mrandypandy
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your wonderful review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our facilities and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Stratford upon Avon
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We have just held our sons wedding reception at the Place Apartment Hotel. The quality of the service from all the staff was excellent; they looked after so well and nothing was too much trouble. They were welcoming, friendly and very efficient. The quality of the food was of a very high standard both in presentation and taste. Both the wedding breakfast and evening 'do' was enjoyed by everyone.The apartments, where many of the family stayed were clean, spacious and very well equipped. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: The two bedroom deluxe apartments are light, airy and spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Thank you for your kind review. It is always very gratifying to hear when a wedding is such a success. I have passed your comments on to my team as they are always delighted when their efforts are so appreciated.

I wish Carly and Josh all the best for the future and hope you bear is in mind next time you visit Manchester.