“Really spacious apartments and handy location”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #53 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 September 2012 via mobile

The rooms are huge, with lots of space to move about allowing you to feel like you're in a home away from home, rather than a cramped hotel room. Great to have kitchen and laundry facilities. Can get noisy when there are parties downstairs.

• Stayed: August 2012
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your excellent review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,257)

Reviewed 25 September 2012

The Place is in a terrific location. Only a few minutes walk from Piccadilly Station, close to other transport links & the main shopping area only around the corner. What adds value is that it is in a much quieter position than other accomodation only a few minutes away. The staff were always friendly, helpful & quick to respond when asked. The apartment was roomy, light & well stocked & furnished.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2012

Thank you for your excellent review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

From arrival onwards the staff here were excellent, although the breakfast staff deserve a 'double excellent' rating, very accomodating, helpful and polite. Management definitely need to single breakfast staff out for the 'employees of the month bonus'!

The whole style and ambience of this location was stunning, the conversion and preservation of this very historical warehouse simply added to the enjoyment. Take a moment to stand in the atrium and enjoy the structure.

We had an apartment on the second floor and this was very spacious, very comfortable, had everything advertised including a i-phone dock that charged my newer i-phone, fab as I forgot my charger. The kitchen facilities were great, bedroom very quiet and plush (we were at the front of the building and experienced no noise whatsoever), the living area was comfortable and spacious.

The location is ideal, basically a short walk to shops, nightlife etc.. Car parking, very easy to find, straight in with no problems.

Unlike many city hotels the Place charges a very fair price for breakfast and evening meals which are a good standard. You actually don't feel you have to be cautious when purchasing extras at the hotel facilities which is quite rare nowadays. I can't recommend this aparthotel
enough, a thoroughly enjoyable stay with very nice people looking after us.

Only dislike was we didn't like having to leave!!

Room Tip: From what I saw of other rooms they're all a very good standard.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write your superb review. I am delighted to hear how much you enjoy staying with us. I have past your comments on to my team, my breakfast staff are especially pleased by your comments and agree with you that they should be employees of the month!

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Overall first impression upon entering the building was very good, stunning reception area and genuinely lovely, helpful staff. The bedrooms were gorgeous, individual and nicely furnished. The bed was extremely comfortable with ample good quality pillows. Nice spacious apartment, with all equipment needed for a self catered stay, including an Ipod docking station which went down well with the younger members of our party. Fantastic breakfast and dinner menus available at reasonable prices, and a bar that is open til very late in the reception area. My only negative comment is that one of our bathrooms had a fair bit of mould on the grouting between the tiles above the tap end of the bath and also a large patch of it on the sealant on the back of the sink. This in no way detracted from the enjoyment of our stay and I was more than thrilled with The Place Hotel, I just feel it should be mentioned to benefit those with very high standards. Another thing worth bearing in mind is that all apartments have interior windows facing into the hallway and common areas, this was no issue for us as it was our lounge that faced into the building, but i noticed in several apartments that i could actually look right into peoples bedrooms, so if you are considering booking and this would be an issue for you I would suggest calling and specifically requested a room with a lounge at the front of the apartment! Most pleasing part of our stay was walking out of Picadilly train station and finding that the apartment is about a 40 second walk away!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your excellent review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and will be returning. I have asked my housekeeper to look into the issues you have raised and find an appropriate solution.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

We had the misfortune of staying here. Please do not put yourself through it.

1. Shouting and cheering from a party above us ensured we could get very little sleep, I complained but reception were unhelpful and discourteous.

2. Fire alarm went off due to small fire on ground floor!

3. Shower was broke.

4. Breakfast was overpriced, barely warm, and mostly a slop!

5. Very expensive.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to forward your feedback.
I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us and have investigated all your comments.
At week-ends, our clientele includes families, guests looking for a more relaxing stay or a leisure break as well as guests coming to Manchester to experience the city’s busy night life. In order to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay, we have appropriate measures in place to deal with issues such as the noise issue you mentioned by using licensed doormen who can deal with any trouble if necessary.
We also carry out regular floor walks during the night and closely monitor any disruptive behaviour.
Please also note that the hotel operates a strict no party policy as explained on our website.
It is very unfortunate that Reception was only made aware of the problem at 9:15am as we could have dealt with the issue straight away had we been informed sooner.
Regarding the maintenance issue, it was not reported to us at any time. We would have otherwise been pleased to rectify the issue straight away. After inspection however, the shower seems to be working fine and no other guests have reported any issue nor complained about a broken shower in the apartment that you occupied since.
As for breakfast, numerous positive reviews have been posted by other guests and Trip Advisor users who have kindly pointed out that our full English breakfast represents good value for money. Breakfast costs a discounted £6 per person only when booked on arrival. I am sorry you didn’t enjoy breakfast but noticed that it had been taken off your bill as a gesture of good will on check out.
As mentioned, the fire alarm went off in the morning, following a guest related incident. Please note that the fire alarm is there for your safety only and I am pleased to see that thanks to our procedures in place and the swift actions taken by our staff members on shift the incident was rapidly under control.
Finally, our prices are clearly displayed on our own website as well as any other booking websites.
I notice that you booked through Expedia and would highly recommend that you contact them directly should you have any price query.
I am sorry that you feel our Reception staff was discourteous. We strive to ensure our guests experience the best visit possible during their stay; our prices however, are not negotiable upon check-out and threatening the staff to post a negative review on Trip Advisor in exchange for a free stay is not acceptable.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss the matter further.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Delivered one day traing course in the Manchester room. Throughout the day never saw anyone from Banquetting or Conference department. All day had to keep on visiting reception to find out arrangements. First time I have worked at a hotel location and not had any contact or support from B & C staff. Not impressed!

Room Tip: Yet to experience rooms overnight. However looks like it could be interesting as they are classed as...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service you encountered. As you can see from other reviews it is not indicative of our normal levels and I will be investigating thoroughly to ensure no repeat.

Unfortunately I cannot ascertain which conference you are refering to from the details left here. If you would like to contact me direct at the hotel, I would like te opportunity to discuss and try and regain your faith.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

Great couple of days - apartment was great - not been here for 5 years, so lots of improvements - worth using when in Manchester - it is in a good location; good now that it has a bar, jut wish bath water was hotter!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your great review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and will use us in the future.

Each apartment has its own individual boiler to regulate the water temperature and can be adjusted as required by our team on request.