“What a lovely stay - AMAZING!!”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #44 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Melbourne, Australia
“What a lovely stay - AMAZING!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed in the Place Hotel after being recommended by a friend, for 7 nights. On first appearances the hotel looks old from the outside but is a well maintained building and extremely modern and comfortable on the inside. The reception staff were lovely and welcoming and directed me to the lift where i found getting to my room on the second floor incredibly easy. I enjoyed taking in the amazing interior of the building, its so open, clean and so much bigger than i imagined it to be. Upon entering my room i felt very welcome as it was lovely and warm, with beautifully clean kitchen, bathroom and bedding looked brand new. The only fault i could find was the floor was a little scratched but that was no big deal to me. After relaxing in my room for a while i ordered some food from the restaurant and when it arrived i was a little disappointed. It was greasy and looked a little under cooked, however the young girl who delivered it to me was lovely, extremely welcoming and friendly. Over the week the cleaning staff that maintained my room were very friendly, efficient, and did a fantastic job without inconveniencing me what so ever if i was in the room. I would like to thank all the staff at The Place hotel for such a fantastic stay in Manchester, they helped me find things to do and the easy way to get there often using Piccadilly station which is under 5 minutes walk from the hotel, 10 minutes to the main shopping places and with many bus networks close by.
overall i loved my stay and would highly recommend it to anyone, see you all next year!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AussieMaryann92
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments on regarding the food to my team. I hope you will take the opportunity to try our food again when you stay in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This place is perfect the customer service was brilliant the staff were very nice and so helpful! The apartment itself was beautiful. Spacious place and warm enough. The toilet was a bit noisy but that was no problem it was a pleasant stay had no issues what so ever! Will definitely go again!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Isha1411
Thank you for such a kind review. I look forward to your return in the future.
Sydney
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I stayed here in june 2012 with a massive group, this hotel is good in terms of that if you are all wanting to stay together. It was in a fairly good location close to the canal and drinking spots and it was about a 15min walk to the main shopping area but there was a tube station 2mins away and tram was 5mins away.

Rooms:
- we stayed in a 2 bedroom penthouse apartment which was so much better than the other rooms in the building. The building was like a square and most room faced each other. Ours was in the crn away from it and had skylights so was very bright were as others are very dark.
-one room had a en-suite which was handy.
-room had kitchen and dining room and lounge room so good for a family.

Pricing was reasonable for what the hotel was. There was a restaurant there which we ate at once, food was not worth the price they are asking. Though saying that I was in Manchester for a week and never had a nice meal. Staff were very friendly and accommodating to our needs.

I would probably not stay here again just because I dont plan on going back to manchester.

Room Tip: Chose a apartment or penthouse
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. The room you stayed in was one of our deluxe apartments on the 6th floor.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2012

I stayed at the Place last night and got an upgrade to the newly refurbished penthouse suites and what can I say:

First of all the location of the hotel is spot on, just around the corner from the train station (literally 3 mins walk). Check in was quick and friendly and then when we go into the room it was amazing, much better than my flat...on the entry level you have 2 bedrooms with a bathroom each leading to a balcony with a fantastic view over the city and also east facing so the sun greets you in the morning (well on those very rare days when the sun shines in manchester). Bathrooms are spacious and you get bathrobes and slippers which is always an added bonus.

Then you go up the stairs to the kitchen/living room. Here you have a fully equipped kitchen with all you need (even a fancy coffee maker), a balcony overlooking the other side of town, dining area and lounge area with 2 sofas and tele.

If you stay on the penthouse floor there is even a glass life which only guests on that floor can use, makes you feel very special :-)

We did not try any other facilities in the hotel as so centrally located but would highly recommend to stay and upgrade to a penthouse suite if it is for a special occasion or if you want to treat yourself...

Room Tip: I stayed in 708, definitely recommend it!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review. It is good to hear that the work we have done to improve the penthouse apartments has made such a difference. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I organised a Gala Dinner for the RSPCA and the event was also in memory of my Niece Isis Naomi for what would have been her 21st Birthday. From the organisation of the event, with Laura B, to the actual evening, it was smooth, no hassle, Laura was efficient and put suggestions forward in terms of making the night a success, to which it was. 170 people attended and the comments we received back were amazing and they even asked when the Summer Ball was being held! Colleagues in the evening, Alexa, Tori, Ryan, Hannah and Alfie were extremely professional at all times and made sure our guests were well cared for. The food was exceptional too, which at large functions is rare. We also stayed over in the Deluxe Apartment, the rooms are clean and very comfortable... it finished the whole experience off - Fantastic Place! Thanks Team for making our event a special one and we raised £9,300 in the process for RSPCA and a donation to Cystic Fibrosis Trust too.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am delighted to hear we facillitated your event so well and the food exceeded your expectations.

I look forward to providing many such charity events for you in the future.
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Everything about the hotel was great I thought until we came back from a night out. The hotel staff on during the day were very friendly and helpful. However, the nightshift staff were more like prison wardens. We are a group of four young guys who went down to sample Manchester nightlife, which was brilliant, but the end of the night was not do pleasant. We got separated and one of my friends who went back first was denied entry back into the hotel, even though he had a room key card and they had his name on file. Then my other friend arrived and he and the first guy eventually got in after the staff finally realised that they had a room. Then the rest of us arrive and instantly the staff took a dislike to me. I told the staff our room number, showed my card, gave all my details and wasn't let in. I was told to go see the manager. While we were out we met up with a friend from Manchester who they said couldn't get in because they weren't registered as a guest. Even though the room sleeps 5 and there was only 4 of us. The room had been paid for aswell. By this point I had been messed around so much by the staff I wasn't happy. They all instantly took a dislike to me and my friends. I don't know why, maybe because we were Scottish, pathetic I know but some people are pathetic. During this whole time so many people had walked in and out without even getting asked a single thing from the hotel staff. They were all focused on wrecking our night. The hotel staff that worked during the day were very friendly and helpful so it didnt make any sense. So overall, I would recommend the hotel to anyone who does not intend to go out at night. If you are planning a night out, stay somewhere else because, at night, this place is a prison.

• Stayed November 2012
As can be seen by previous reviews, the safety of both the guest and staff are of paramount importance. Unfortunately the reviewer has chosen to misrepresent his arrival back at the hotel and accuse my staff of taking a dislike to him because of his accent and neglect to mention the drunken abusive behaviour they were subjected to whilst trying to provide a service.
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I chose The Place partly because of its location close to Picadilly station as we were travelling by train and I had also heard good things about it. We spent 2 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment. We arrived around 11am and dropped our bags off. We were told that check in was 3pm so we set out to explore Manchester. I had left my mobile number and asked that they give me a call when the apartment was ready. I received no call so we made our way back and arrived just after 3pm to be told that our room still wasn’t ready and it would be another 30-40 minutes. We were very disappointed. The guy at reception did offer us a drink and we sat in the lounge until the cleaning of our room was complete.

The apartment was big with a massive lounge/dining area, adequately stocked kitchen, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The lighting throughout was very poor especially in the lounge area. The windows in the lounge look out onto the walkway where everyone passes to get to their rooms so is not private at all. There are blinds but the lighting is so poor you cannot see to read with these closed. All in all the place looked very shabby. The shower door was hanging off, virtually every door and wall was scuffed and in need of repainting and both bathrooms had mouldy grout/sealant. The hot water was warm at best and didn’t last long. We sat in the bar on the first evening but only managed 1 drink as there is a sweet sickly smell - not sure if it is candles or air freshener but it is certainly very overpowering.

I have read through more reviews since returning and there seems to be a general theme of apartments not being very clean or well maintained. I think its about time the management listened to these comments and acted upon them.

We had some friends who were looking to book a couple of apartments for early next year and were waiting for our verdict. They have since booked elsewhere based on our experience. There would have to be some improvements before I would consider this place again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service you received. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you further. Please contact me direct on 0161 7787500.