“Cold water and cold food - not too hot an experience”

The Place Aparthotel
Ranked #47 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 12 September 2013

These apartments have a lot to recommend them. They are right by Piccadilly Station so have great access to the City centre, as well as being good for getting to and from Manchester. I stayed in a 2 bedroom one (had booked a 1 bedroom so presumably this was an upgrade), for an overnight stay after a long day of filming in a rainy field.

The apartment itself was spacious, clean and nicely decorated with the exposed brickwork a really nice feature. It has ample space for a family or group wanting to use it as a base. The lounge area and one of the bedrooms look out onto the mezzanine floor from which you access the various apartments, so it's necessary to keep the blinds shut if you want any kind of privacy. The lack of daylight and a window to open does make you feel a little claustrophobic as the evening progresses but, if you are just using it as a base, it's perfect. There's also free Wifi which is a big plus.

I arrived in the evening and the only thing on my mind was a hot bath. Unfortunately this is where it went wrong. My apartment had a huge bath and a walk in shower. Neither of them had any hot water. I phoned Reception and was told to hit the "boost" button for the boiler and wait half an hour. I did this. No hot water. I called again and nobody answered so at this point, utterly exhausted, I gave up trying and went through the horrors of a cold shower.

The bed wasn't very comfortable - pillows in particular offering no support, and my sleep was interrupted by slamming doors from neighbouring apartments and, at one point, somebody banging on my door, presumably at the wrong place as by the time I got to the door to see what the drama was, they had gone.

Breakfast the following morning was a rushed affair. There's a decent selection available, although unfortunately a lot of it was cold and the sausages were under-cooked. The staff in the restaurant are not particularly friendly. I was greeted with a judgemental "are you dining ALONE?" which left me wanting to scream that I had a partner and huge group of friends at home in London and actually this is just a business trip ... and then they couldn't rush me out of there quickly enough. The second you put down a glass, cup or knife and fork, the offending item was whipped away from you - no option for second helpings here!

All in all - not a good stay. The Receptionist didn't seem remotely bothered that I'd had a bad experience, giving an insincere "Oh I do apologise" as I paid over £100 for my uncomfortable night, and then asking me to review my stay on Trip Advisor ... I told her she was brave asking for me to give feedback in a public forum.

If you can cater for yourself and are lucky enough to get an apartment with hot running water, then this is probably a decent base. If you are looking for a comfortable night after a long day at work, then do yourself a favour and go down the road to the Macdonald where the staff treat you a lot better and the rooms are truly comfortable.

Room Tip: Go to the Macdonald up the road.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Annie K
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We have carefully noted each point you have raised with attention, and hope you will give us another opportunity in the near future to restore your faith in The Place.

There are newer reviews for The Place Aparthotel

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here overnight with a friend for a girly night out in Manchester. The apartment was lovely although a little maintenance was needed. Things like chipped furniture etc, but I guess that's to be expected from a hotel used as frequently as this one must be. The bedroom was beautifully decorated and had an awesome view of the canal.
The decor of the hotel is very stylish.
I would definitely stay again

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and i had our civil partnership and reception at this amazing hotel.

We stayed in one of the fabulous penthouse apartments the night before, on the night of the wedding and the night after. The apartment is huge and was prefect especially for the space we needed to get ready on the day. Boasting spectacular views over Manchester, and close enough to the village to hear the celebrations of Pride weekend.

The food is great, we couldn't even finish the amount of food we got for breakfast, but i can be popped in the fridge and the well equipped kitchen and saved until later :) the food for the breakfast dinner was yummy and our guests really enjoyed it.

The staff are brilliant, on the day were so helpful, kind and efficient. Really helped the day to go smoothly and made us feel so special :)

The wedding day was fantastic, we had the ceremony in the gorgeous atrium, it was stunning :) The reception was in the pennine room, it was the perfect size for our guests and also looked stunning with fairy lights covering the grand pillars and uplighters on the walls.

The staff again helped the day run so smoothly :)

We would like to say an extra thank you to Jade Blackburn, our wedding coordinator, she is fantastic so friendly and helpful. From start to finish Jade helped with every last detail, helping this brideziller feel a lot more calm and collected.

We would recommend this venue to any couple looking to have an amazing wedding day.

Thank you Jade Blackburn and The Place for a fantastic day and we look forward to spending many anniversary's there :)

Room Tip: go for the penthouse, well worth the extra ££
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your fantastic review. It has been a great pleasure to host your wedding and I am glad we helped make it such a wonderful day. I will pass your comments to the rest of the team.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

A lovely apartment hotel, with lots going for it. Very close to the Piccadilly station in the city centre. Easy access to the centre and shops, great location. Very very quiet given proximity to the central station.

On arrival a compulsory deposit (£50 per room in the apartment) must be made either by cash or card. They don't make a transaction as such, but its complicated and would seem rather unnecessary.

Only issue was upon arrival at 1am the reception staff member didn't speak great English, and my French parents-in-law who have somewhat limited English and my other half (who speaks English excellently) didn't understand. Even I (native speaker) had to ask for the manager to come and explain the requirement to leave the deposit.

• Stayed: September 2013
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for your review. We do require either a pre-authorisation on a debit or credit card, or a cash security deposit upon check-in. This covers any incidentals or damages and is returned upon check-out. We hope to welcome you soon again.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Cannot complain about the service and staff as they were excellent. The food for the wedding reception was excellent.

The apartments were a very tired. Door handles loose, paint work scuffed which I would not expect having paid £210 per night. No air-conditioning was another problem as the inside bedrooms had no windows and it was very hot and stuffy.

At the time the Hotel was under Administration.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the service, staff and food were excellent. We do not currently have air conditioning available in the rooms but can provide cooling fans upon request.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

My partner and I had our Civil Partnership at the Place in September 2013, it was simply amazing. The service, staff and environment were exemplary and outstanding. We had the first floor atrium as our ceremony venue, and it was perfect and beautifully laid out. The meal was sumptuous, and all our guests commented on how delicious the food was, including a top chef! It was efficient, friendly, they couldn't do enough for you and everything was a pleasure. I didn't worry one bit knowing we were in the best, safest and professional hands.
Our honeymoon suite was breathtaking, with red rose petals scattered as you walked in to the bed, along with a bottle of champagne, flowers, and bathrobes/slippers. We sat on the balcony with our fizz reflecting on the best day ever with a beautiful Manchester skyline view.
I highly recommend The Place, simply brilliant to work with and they made our day.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the penthouses on the 7th floor, you won't be dissapointed !
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bjleslie01

Thank you for your great review. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and I am glad we helped make it a fantastic day for you and your partner.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here for three nights and had two apartments both 2 bedroom on the 4th and 6th floors. It was in July and it was hot. Thank goodness we did have outside windows,these we had had open all the time so it was a bit noisy on a night. The apartments are a great size, would be quite happy to live in one full time, they were well equipped in the kitchen. We ate lunch in the bar area on our first day and it was lovely, great value for money and the girl who waited on us was really nice. Breakfasts were good with lots of choice,the service here was good on some mornings and so so on others depending on the staff members who were working . The apartment is in a great position, very easy to walk around the city and access the tram system. The only downside we felt was that the apartments were not as clean (bathrooms and bedding) as they could be and that the staircase has never seen a hoover in a long time! All in all though we had a great stay and would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment with external windows
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 28970Julie

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you soon again.