“The place to stay”

Ranked #43 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, Lancashire
“The place to stay”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Just returned from a one night stay at The Place Apartments in Ducie Street Manchester. Great location for Piccadilly just over 5 minutes from Piccadilly station, walking. Staff friendly & efficient. We arrived at 11am expecting to drop our bags & go however our room was ready so we checked in. We booked one of the penthouse apartments which was 2 double en suite rooms plus a second floor with open plan kitchen dining room and lounge. From the kitchen there is a balcony which is shared with the other apartments but from the bedroom there is a private balcony which would be lovely in the summer months Rooms were clean and there was a small amount of tea coffee sugar & milk. Prices are not cheap the apartment was £270 but between 4 works out quite reasonable. The intercom didn't work but as we were there for only 1 night we didn't report it. Unfortunately for us 1 of our party had her bag stolen right outside the hotel as we got out of our taxis at the end of the night which made for a very unpleasant end to the night. . It's a very poorly lit street so be careful in that area

Room Tip: We visited the hotel a few months before our trip and asked to see the rooms which helped with our c...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank htracyhutch
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feeback and for your comments about the team. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in one of our Penthouses and hope to see you again in a near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Stayed for 3 nights midweek in January. I had booked a standard 2 bed apartment but when we reached our apartment after check in were very pleasantly surprised to find we had been upgraded. the apartment was very spacious with an excellent kitchen with everything you could possibly need. The bedrooms were spacious and the beds extremely comfortable. I loved the atmosphere in the hotel and the staff were friendly and professional. I really could not fault our stay and will certainly book again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank katherine p
Thank you for your great review following your recent stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and will pass your comments to the rest of the team. I look forward to welcoming you again soon on your next visit to Manchester.
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Very much enjoyed our stay, perfect for families. Very spacious room (we had the 2 bedroom), nice bar area and lovely food (didn't try the restaurant). Close enough to walk to the Theatre and local shops. Room was a bit scuffed in places as has been previously mentioned, but didn't ditract from our enjoyment of the room. The hotel is popular with weddings, birthdays, hen parties etc. and there were at least 3 on the weekend we stayed, it isn't a problem apart from late night disturbance when party goers and going to bed. Would certainly stay again and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the space and comfort of our apartments and look forward to welcome you again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed in the place apartment for my birthday and I really enjoyed my stay because the rooms were all lovely and the facilities were great. There was only one thing that ruined by stay which was a faulty radiator in the door way of my apartment that all of sudden just FELL OFF. Because of their faulty facilities I have now had to lose my deposit as something was "broken" although I had nothing to do with the fact they they had provided me with a dodgy fitted radiator into a HOLLOW wall. Not only was I upset that it had fallen off yet behind the wall was other holes which were filled, suggesting this has happened before. Making it seem like the biggest scam going. The money that I had used as my deposit was a gift for my birthday and if it wasn't for their radiator fitting being to unstable I would have got to buy myself something nice. After 2 emails to the apartment I have had no reply and it doesn't seem as if they care or even bother to send a sorry email, yet before I stayed my enquiry emails got a reply straight away. I was really hoping to stay again but after I have made to feel like a mug I am really doubting it !!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Mallisha24
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and for your comments about the rooms and facilities. I am at loss to explain how this incident happened as our apartments are inspected daily. We have tried to contact you on several occasions with the details you provided but have been unsuccessful so far. I can here confirm that you have not been charged any deposit. Please feel free to contact me directly on 0161 778 7500 should you wish to discuss the matter further. We hope to welcome you again on your next visit to Manchester.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My friends and I booked two apartments here for one night. We made the booking at the same time and yet we were placed on separate floors. Both apartments (one with 2 king sized beds and one with 1 king bed, and 3 single) were beautiful, spacious and clean. Our main complaint was that both apartments were painfully hot, and the heating was off! It was near impossible to sleep in the heat. If they sort the heating, and the attitude of some of the staff, this place would deserve 5 stars.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience following your recent stay with us. We will always try our best to allocate apartments on the same floor if requested in advance and subject to availability. I have noted your comments regarding the room temperature and will ensure it is at a more comfortable level in the future. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Cardiff
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We stayed in The Place for one night for a wedding in Oct, the apartment was gorgeous and huge! Loved the exposed brick and metal work. The apartments are not cheap, but there were only three of us in the apartment and it could have slept a few more which would have then made it cheaper. Brilliant venue for a wedding, we all had a great time. The food was really good too. It's in a really central location about 10 mins walk from all the central shops and it has it's own, reasonably price underground parking. Would love to go back and make a proper weekend of it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank B R
Thank you for your great review. I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the space and comfort of our family apartments. We look forward to welcome you again soon when you return to Manchester.
North of England
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We have just returned from a one-night stay at 'the Place'. There were four of us travelling - my husband and I with our daughter and son-in-law and we were there for a day and night out to celebrate our daughter's birthday. I was a little bit concerned as to what we would find on our arrival as the cost was amazing - a fantastic deal that I thought may be a mistake - or too good to be true!
However, when we arrived we were all really impressed. The reception area is very stylish and the staff could not have been more helpful. The luggage unloading and parking set-up was excellent. We parked our car in the secure car park underneath the hotel and the price of £9.00 to park was incredibly reasonable.
We had a deluxe 2-bedroom/2 bathroom corner apartment and it was lovely. It was very spacious and there was everything you would need for a stay. It was a novelty to have a lounge area where we could all be together for a drink and a chat rather than the usual situation when we go away and have 2 separate hotel rooms.
The hotel is well situated with only a few minutes walk to the centre of things.
The only reason I have been unable to give 5 stars is because of our experience during the night. Our daughter and son-in-law were woken at 4.00am by a group of people returning to their apartment and starting their own party. It woke them as the music and shouting became so loud. My daughter phoned down to reception and was advised that someone would go and sort it out but it still didn't stop and in desperation to get away from the noise at 5.00am they took their pillows and tried to sleep on the 2 settees in the living area! They eventually went back to their room at 6.30am when it went quiet and managed a couple more hours of sleep but were re-awakened again at 8.30am when it started again!
So there are 2 quite differing opinions on the stay - my husband and I had a quiet, restful night but our daughter and son-in-law were anything but rested on Sunday morning!
However, we had a great time in Manchester and, in spite of the night-time disturbances, we would all still stay at 'the Place' again as it was perhaps just an unfortunate bit of bad luck that we were underneath a noisy group of people. We have already talked about returning but we will definitely ask for an apartment on a high floor next time though!
Check out on Sunday morning was very busy but again, the staff were so happy and helpful and dealt with everyone very quickly. Lovely staff!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scorching
Ian H, General Manager at The Place Aparthotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and your wonderful comments about the team and Deluxe Apartments. We are doing our best to minimise disturbances and operate a strict no party policy. We have noted all your comments and will be more vigilant next time. We are looking forward to welcome you again soon.