This review is a little long but I wanted to give a fair honest opinion of the hotel!
I had my wedding reception here in the Pennie Suite on the 19th April.
In the lead up to the wedding everything was fairly smooth. The wedding coordinator changed due to staff changes and finally the third coordinator was the one to take us through to are wedding day.
* A few issues we had just before the wedding which the hotel never made clear to us that I think are important for people to know. They allocate a set amount of rooms for your guests at a discounted rate. What I was not told - the rooms are mix & match and the hotel picked.This meant I had some deluxe double bedrooms at a much higher price and several large family rooms. I wish they had discussed this with me as some of my guested ended up paying more for the rooms than they should of as some of the 'allocated' rooms had gone. I was even given the wrong room price when I phoned to book a room for my father.(To add this was rectified once I spoke to reception staff). This was hugely important to us as we wanted to have breakfast the next day with all are guest. Subsequently a lot of guests stayed elsewhere.
Myself and my bridesmaids stayed in the penthouse apartment the night before the wedding. I was told on arrival (and not before) that I needed to pay £100 upfront incase of any damage was done to the room. None of my guest were aware of this and I was gutted, all my money was in my partners bank ready to pay DJ/transport etc. They did waive the fee eventually and I explained very clearly to the duty manager that none of my guest were aware of this and I had never done this before in a hotel, normally they take a card number and charge you later.
Arrived in the room the shower was black around the grout at the floor of the tiles. There was a broken glass in the cupboard and the blinds in the kitchen were absolutely filthy as the had place a bin in front and so everything that misses the bin was all over the blinds.
The rest of the room was clean and tidy but these things stick out. The view from the terrace balcony was beautiful though and in a rush to meet family for dinner we left.
That evening we got back along with some guests also staying the night before around 9.30 as we were told we could then decorate the room in preparation for the wedding day. Armed with all the decorations we went down and were told firstly wedding coordinator wasn't in (she had previously emailed to tell me she would be there to help decorate the room.) Then we were told the room was not ready for us to decorate around 10.30 we were told we could go in. NOTHING was near ready for us to decorate. We had paper pom pons to put on the ceiling. I couldn't use the ladders like I had been told as they were in a room were there was a wedding reception taking place.
We could decorate on table and they would copy the design on each table, and then we could come down in the morning and put the pom poms up. The next day being my wedding day.. To say I was mad was an understatement. I was gutted I could not do this in the morning there would just not be enough time. We tried to attach all the pom poms on clear string all in one line so that the could be put up easily the next morning. (they ended up looking awful) In a bid to get things done quick as by this point it was 1 in the morning we cut corners and I was in tears. There were loads of pom poms we couldn't put up, we couldn't do the chairs with ribbons and I had just about had enough.
We went to bed and prayed everything would be ok.
The next day at after breakfast there was an issue with some napkins, I had asked they approx 6 month before the wedding for them to be like bunny ears ( it was easter weekend and there were kinder eggs to go behind them for the kids like an easter egg hunt!) The wedding coordinator a few weeks before the wedding had sent me pictures of the napkins she had done to check they were what I had asked for. They looked great but the coordinator had phone in sick the day of my wedding so none of the staff had no idea what I was talking about. They had not received my update on table numbers and guest changes so the morning of the wedding I spent half an hour at reception trying to get this sorted, I wasn't even angry anymore I was stressed, tired and felt that months of planning had gone out the window.
At around 10 i eventually got back upstairs to my room i now had 2 hours to get dressed, do make up and hair as well as pictures (believe me its not easy on your wedding day!) I cut corners again did my make up whilst having my hair done and tried to feed my 12 week old daughter all at the same time. I rushed to get my dress on didn't get it on properly in a bid to get out the door.
The rest of the day went very smoothly the day of my wedding they could not of done more for me. The toast master (I think it that what his title is) was personable, professional and finally i felt like things would go to plan. I was disappointed seeing the rooms final decorations but only because so much i wanted to do was not finished.
The food was stunning and the saving grace and the reason why I gave average not poor (including some members of staff including the great guy who made 55 napkin bunnies!
With my daughter only being 12 weeks old we were up and down from are room all day getting bottles ready and there was only 1 life working. That day there was another wedding on as well so 2 wedding parties hundreds of rooms and one lift with us on the 7th floor we had no choice put to wait. (13 mins at one point) we ended up using the glass outside lift a lot and walking back around the front of the hotel as it was quicker. I noticed on a review a few months ago that this lift was out of order so this seems to of been an issue for along time and I was confused why this hadn't been fixed quicker?
Overall - The food and most staff were wonderful and the room the night of the wedding had a lovely rose petals flowers and champagne. The day before the wedding felt like I didn't exist to them.
As an added note I would like to say thank you to whichever staff member ran out and bought more kinder eggs for us as we didn't have enough!
I hope this review along as it is! Is helpful to someone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Place Aparthotel is a stunning, grade 2 listed Manchester apartment hotel, offering luxury 4 star hotel apartments in Manchester city centre. 100 metres from Manchester Piccadilly Station, close to shops, restaurants, northern quarter and Chinatown. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Place Aparthotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Place Apartment Manchester
- Hotel Place Apartment